so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

I'm unfortunately 750 miles from the projects I'd like to be doing in georgia, but in the meantime I'm helping my cousin deal with an entire oak tree's worth of logs.  :D

today we put down the fabric and assembled the racks, but the rain is upon us so the splitter rental will have to wait til the weekend.

20200318_142438.jpg

20200318_142418.jpg

I'm at work in LA/Long Beach Harbor. The world may stop but the Merchant Marine doesn't. Fueling a ship today that just came in from China. Tomorrow I'll be fueling one that just came thru the Panama Canal. I wonder if they have any toilet paper onboard?

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

I am a residential framer.  I am currently working with an Amish friend of mine.  We will continue to work until we cannot anymore. Due to lack of materials or some sort of quarantine. 

That said being an independent contractor, and hearing the the feds are gonna send everyone a check.  Coupled with the thought that we might get quarantine or told to shelter in place.  I think this is as close as I'm ever gonna get to a PAID vacation.  lol

That said its the same old projects for me for now.  Hoping the 2 week vacation will help me get the cj running again.......

The nature of my work doesn't really make WFH a possibility. So far my schedule will not change.

That being said, if I get some downtime, the birdy bird is due a new radiator and a bunch of new suspension bushings, and the 91 needs the steering wheel straightened. Other than that I have nothing in mind. Definitely won't be shipping radio orders unfortunately - I just recovered from a severe lung infection and the post office will be a no-go.

I work for AAA so as long as the roads aren't completely closed I imagine we'll be open. Not crazy about having people ride with me in the truck so it's pretty stressful.

Days off I'm finally digging into my ls swap. Got most of the parts over the winter so now it's time. Hopefully car shows and stuff will be open when I'm done. 

I am sitting at my desk in my office every day and every night preparing tax returns for my clients.

The gov't extended the time for people to pay their taxes if they own.  However, it did not extend the time for people to file their returns.  Your returns are still due by 4/15!!!

I’m still working. Construction doesn’t stop and the people want their stuff built and built on time.  But it would be nice to get some wrench time in, but there are far more pressing matters to attend to.  

Same here , sales department at the dealership is closed as of today  , but the service and parts department will stay open , which worries me as a flat rate tech because I’m not sure if there will be plenty work to go around for everyone since many people are choosing to not leave their homes. 

No downtime for me either. The plow trucks won’t get much of a break till at least the end of April, so unfortunately neither will I. We got told this morning we’ve been upgraded from “essential” to “critical” service. Got to keep the roads open and truck traffic moving down the highway, even if there’s not many tourists rolling through any more. 
But I’ve picked up another project that I’ll be occupying weekends with. Another Lada, cause apparently I’m a masochist. It’s not in awful shape considering it’s been off the road for ten years. 
zEqzlLy.jpg

So far work isn't slowing down for me and I don't really see it happening since people still have to feed their animals. As for projects in the little spare time I do get, need to finish floors in oldest son's mj, plenty of stuff to do to the xj after naxja winterfest this year, and now starting on home remodel so we can put it up for sale. Course now the market will probably tank and won't get much for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Today I made a light mount for my sport bar so I can have four lights. I'm hoping to get the Jeep accessory someday so hopefully this will be temporary. I used 2 inch angle iron and since I don't have a brake I scored it with my angle grinder then used my HF 20 ton press with a scrap piece of angle iron to bend it so it follows the sport bar tabs. It turned out exactly as I had wanted. It still needs painting but here are some pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, fiatslug87 said:

Today I made a light mount for my sport bar so I can have four lights. I'm hoping to get the Jeep accessory someday so hopefully this will be temporary. I used 2 inch angle iron and since I don't have a brake I scored it with my angle grinder then used my HF 20 ton press with a scrap piece of angle iron to bend it so it follows the sport bar tabs. It turned out exactly as I had wanted. It still needs painting but here are some pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

How many Marchals do you have stock piled away??!

But very 80's!

3 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ooh, those are the driving light lenses! Jealous.

I got the MJ out and swapped in a high volume oil pump, put a new O2 sensor in the wideband and cleaned the truck up a bit, just need some new tags and I can drive it again.

I also put a new exhaust system on my F350,and I've been working on getting the paint work done on my MGB.

I think I'm gonna start putting myself in quarantine every year.

20200319_161949.jpg

20200320_143543.jpg

20200320_143801.jpg

Luckily we operate 100% online so working from home was an immediate option and with construction still going on we will still have stuff to revise and design.  Even if they shut everything down I think we would still have stuff we can do so no "vacation" for me.

If the damn cold and rain would go away I could get the axle in the truck and get the garden gates built.  Need to do some work on the fence as well.  Doubt I'll be able to get it all done tho.

Speaking of garden gates and fences (^^^) I've been building a roof rack for my XJ over the past few days while self isolating in my garage.  It started out as a chain link fence gate.   I made a similar rack for my tear drop trailer and it was a lot easier to work with preformed 90* bends than to attempt them myself.   I cut it up, spliced in some extra tube (1.25" OD) to get the shape I wanted and then welded on some e-track to stiffen it up add plenty of latch points.  I'm working on the kayak attachment for it and the front rack which will only be added when I transport the kayaks. I have more welding, metal finishing and painting to do but it's coming along.

20-03-19 1.JPG

20-03-18 6.JPG

On my CJ7, I've had a drip of trans fluid right where the bellhousing/adapter plate/transmission are all bolted together.  I've suspected it was the front bearing retainer seal.  So I tore into it, and when pulling the rear shaft, found the source of a small vibration that I noticed the last two times I drove it.  I've never had a problem of eating joints on this Jeep, and I think this one has been in there since 2014, suspect I was just to stingy with the grease gun.  I have some generic 1310s on hand, but ordered a Spicer since I'm not in a hurry.

Got the Dana 300 out and decided to drain the fluid, pull the pan, get some pics of the minor grinding that was required to get the 4:1 gears in it.  Then reseal the pan and clean it up.

Got the trans out, and was glad to find I was nearly right.  It wasn't the input retainer seal (replaced anyway), but the retainer itself where it bolts to the trans.  Apparently it needed a little more sealant.  Easy fix.

After replacing the inner axle seals while installing an Ox locker in the front axle, and now this, I might actually have a leak free Jeep!

IMG_7603.jpg

60626527284__6283E001-6F65-4A1E-A517-461254AB3FBE.jpg

IMG_7605.jpg

IMG_7606.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

• Pete M changed the title to so what projects are y'all working on?