so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

So I did not like the aftermarket radio in my 95 F150 ( came with the truck) I went to the junk yard and got a stock radio, tested it on my work bench and it has a high pitch tone in the background ( just like my tinnitus). Took it back and traded it for another stock unit today, set that one up on the work bench, and only have audio to one speaker, the other three are dead. I said to myself, I have never had a bad radio before from the jeep ones I have pulled. So looking at my spare jeep units,  I compared it to the F150 radio and they are almost the same size. So this is what I ended up with. Looks good and sounds good. Jeep for the win.

jeep in a ford.jpg

Joe and his wife Ash, and myself, are 'homesteading,' to meet the problems that have arisen from the current pandemic, to include gardening, breeding butchering rabbits and basic canning. In addition, we've worked on the Comanche (which runs better now but may need an IAC), and my F150 (PO butchered the column wiring with relays, NO ignition switch).

I’ve been putting a little work into this steaming turd. Now that it’s warm enough to drive it without having to run the heat.

D3442890-C536-43B3-967C-4D0052A40D6F.jpeg.2e50684aa5ebc35175f3fc8bee7a7a0f.jpeg
The heat actually works just fine, it just blows mouse poop into my face. I was wearing an N95 mask to drive it back in February, but apparently I started a trend or something and now they’re so popular everywhere sold out?

So far in the last couple weeks I’ve fixed the hood latch (now it also opens in addition to closing... my initial attempt resulted in closing but not opening, positively worse than opening but not closing), addressed some wiper issues, finally got around to changing out the decade-old engine oil and filter,  and now I’m mostly trying to put miles on it to figure out all the idiosyncrasies before putting in a massive parts order with my guy in Ukraine. 

On April 21, 2020 at 9:39 PM, gogmorgo said:

I’ve been putting a little work into this steaming turd. Now that it’s warm enough to drive it without having to run the heat.

D3442890-C536-43B3-967C-4D0052A40D6F.jpeg.2e50684aa5ebc35175f3fc8bee7a7a0f.jpeg
The heat actually works just fine, it just blows mouse poop into my face. I was wearing an N95 mask to drive it back in February, but apparently I started a trend or something and now they’re so popular everywhere sold out?

So far in the last couple weeks I’ve fixed the hood latch (now it also opens in addition to closing... my initial attempt resulted in closing but not opening, positively worse than opening but not closing), addressed some wiper issues, finally got around to changing out the decade-old engine oil and filter,  and now I’m mostly trying to put miles on it to figure out all the idiosyncrasies before putting in a massive parts order with my guy in Ukraine. 

Gog, that's just another way of saying "Thank you sir!  May I have another?"  :laugh:

12 hours ago, amsuco said:

Gog, that's just another way of saying "Thank you sir!  May I have another?"  :laugh:

2B629C6A-8A89-4FB9-9808-0A04600A47C0.jpeg.09ed9ae874df29c65bb9f795e9e22edc.jpegFBFA79E7-2D10-44F9-A520-8CFE4A4F66F0.jpeg.304cdfca81b67cec5ec919fc42f448a9.jpeg

The tires on it are 23 years old, but there’s minimal age cracking, tread’s decent, and they’ve held their air since I filled them in January. I balanced them last night, ended up adding less than 2oz for the full set, but it took care of pretty well all the shakes and shimmies. Seems to sum up the whole car pretty well... sketchy AF but still surprisingly functional at highway speeds and somehow holding together.

It’s a ‘93 Lada Samara. I bought it over Christmas from someone who hauls away scrap cars. He said it was in a barn for the last ten years, which coincides with the last registration date. From the limited documentation in the glove box I think it was owned by an elderly couple who mostly just towed it behind an RV, which is likely why it’s not completely rotted out like most of the remaining handful of the tiny number that were sold new in Canada. I suppose I should start a build thread, although there’s not a ton of building going on until I get more parts in. 

Oh yes. I have absolutely no intentions of needing to depend on it. Ever. But other than the severe hantavirus risk, and the fact it won’t idle, it’s a pretty fun little car, despite all of 60hp from the 1.3L. When I’m sitting in it I account for a hair over 10% of the weight. It’s not fast and never will be (owner’s manual quotes 16 second 0-100km/h times) but it’s pretty nimble. It’ll take corners with no drama at speeds that’ll have my 2wd 2.5 MJ’s far newer tires howling in protest. 

Well, silly me decided to put a clutch in my Focus yesterday.  I had no grand illusions of getting it all done in a day by myself, but holy heck I underestimated this job.  It took me 5 hours just to get the trans out of the car.....and I sliced my 3rd finger on my left hand wide open in the process.  After a few shop towels, a beer and a squirt of superglue I was able to get it to stop bleeding.  I loaded it up in the back of the KJ and ran it down to the quarter car wash to blow some of the grime off of it (after spraying 2 cans of degreaser inside the bellhousing and scrubbing with a toothbrush and a bleeding finger:laugh:).  I accidentally pulled apart the brand new CV shaft I just installed, so I have to fix that.  And the boot is torn on the passenger side CV, so I need to replace that axle and output seal (that I bought a couple weeks ago from the dealership for $27).  I also smashed the bits out of some kind of sensor on the front of the bellhousing, engine side (some sort of CPS maybe?), so I need to figure out what it was and go get a new one of them.  THEN I can install the new clutch and throwout and try to get the trans back up onto the engine.  I had to lower the whole subframe just to get it out, I have no idea how I'm going to get it back in.  Work will re-commence on Saturday, should be fun!

Pics are before and after the wash job.  It ain't squeaky clean, but it's cleaner than it was.  Quite heavier than I thought it would be for a FWD transmission, and it's a very unbalanced weight because of the differential on the back side.  That's the heavier side.

20200423_152934.jpg

output (79).jpg

Lol.  I might end up pulling that control arm off when I try to stab it back in.  That darn differential gets all kind of hung up on it and the subframe on the back side.  I finally hit the one "sweet spot" with it yesterday, after about an hour of wiggling it and fidgeting around with a couple jacks under the trans and the engine and it just plopped out.  I need to find that sweet spot again, just in reverse....and against gravity.....to get it back in.

I asked the shop about a month ago for a rough estimate on doing the clutch for me, and they said anywhere between $9-1200.  Now I know why they quoted it like that.  Not a job I want to do again, ever.

edit:  according to Google images, that sensor I mungled up was indeed the CPS.  Think I'm gonna swing by the junkyard tomorrow morning and grab a new-to-me one, for now.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:47 PM, rylee144 said:

Getting my yard up to snuff.

20200424_154249.jpg

Great job you are doing. Looks like you have a plan and not just throwing plants in the ground. It looks like you have a large trellis in the works at the top of the hill with hooks. What's in store for that? From 3,000 miles away, I am curious about the plants you have chosen. What are the small repeating shrubs across the top of the retaining wall (which looks great)? Grass looks  fresh. What type is it? If that pic was taken this year, I am surprised that germination is that far along. What is the viney plant in the bottom right with blue flowers that looks to have been planted a few years? Going to use a ground cover to stabilize the hill so dirt will wash not into your lawn?

Westeria is planted at the base of the trellis. It will grow and cover it like a canopy and large cone shaped flowers will bloom once a year. Also a case of cafe lights. The plants on the wall are called boxwood. They will eventually grow together and make a solid row. The grass is 1 year old, hydro seeded it last year, not sure the type. The vine with blue flowers is also a year old, they are called vinca minor. Under the cover is a swing. I poured 12 yards of concrete last year.  Before the project and some progress pictures. 

20200416_203837.jpg

20190509_171512.jpg

20180404_083618.jpg

20180404_083623.jpg

20180404_191429.jpg

• Pete M changed the title to so what projects are y'all working on?