One of our own is down

Eagle

I’ve been trying to find a reason to find my way to Alabama to meet Don and now I feel like there’s no point. It is with an immensely heavy heart that it’s time to say goodbye. Thanks for keeping us updated, Abby. While I’m in the same boat that never crossed paths with your dad, I know that he was a good man. Don will be missed. 

E8A90417-5C64-44E8-B96E-88507274D57D.jpeg.31cc33869964a0205420250b483e5d55.jpeg

Abbey, thank you so much for letting us know, however painful it is for you and your family. I think I speak for most when saying I'm truly shocked by the news.  I never met your dad, but we had many, many conversations via forum posts and private messages over the years. He truly was a great man, and will sadly be missed by the community here.  I hope you and your family can find peace, knowing he's in a better place now.

Jeff

Abby, the extent of our loss is exceeded only by your own.  But thanks so much for keeping us updated throughout.  Don was always in our thoughts and prayers. Condolences to you and the rest of the family.

Donald-Don-Hornbrook-1548175817.jpg

Mr. Donald "Don" Edwin Hornbrook

Aug 19, 1943 - Jan 21, 2019

Mr. Donald “Don” Edwin Hornbrook, age 75, of Arab, passed away on Monday, January 21, 2019 at North Alabama Specialty Hospital in Athens, Al. 
Mr. Hornbrook was born on August 19, 1943 to Francis Hornbrook and Ruth Ericsen Hornbrook in Massachusetts. He was a U.S. Navy Veteran and served in the Vietnam War. Mr. Hornbrook moderated an online car forum, the Comanche Club. He enjoyed fishing, working on cars, watching boxing, Red Sox baseball and Alabama football. Mr. Hornbrook loved his two dogs Gus & Donnie. 
Mr. Hornbrook is survived by his wife of 33 years, Alma Hornbrook; daughters & son-in-law, Kelly Hornbrook, Abby Culora & Nate; son & daughter-in-law, Chris Hornbrook & Trina; granddaughter, Allie Forrester; sister, Sue Bruno. 
Funeral service will be 4:00 p.m. Saturday, January 26, 2019 at Arab Heritage Memorial Chapel with Pastor Keith Hodges, officiating. 
Visitation will be 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Saturday, January 26, 2019 at Arab Heritage Memorial Chapel.

My condolences to the family and all his friends, including those here at Comanche Club.  I had several personal interactions with Don during my time here at Comanche Club.  Since hearing the news of his hospitalization, I'd been looking forward to his recovery and first post saying he was back.  I'm deeply saddened by this loss to our shared community.  My thoughts are with the family during this difficult time.

Rest in Peace, Chief.

I am devastated. I've been out of power and communication since Sunday afternoon due to an ice storm here in Connecticut. Got power back late last night, the house is starting to warm up, and I logged onto Comanche Club to find this. I have been concerned that there weren't any updates, but this surely wasn't the update that I was expecting or hoping for.

Abby, Alma, Kelly, Chris, and all of the Hornbrook family, I offer my deepest sympathy and my condolences. I never met Don in person but I considered him a friend, as well as a comrade in arms (I'm also a Vietnam veteran). If I recall correctly, I think I was the one who suggested Don to Pete as a moderator here, and he was a good choice. This place is going to seem very empty without his input.

Gotta go. Screen's getting fuzzy.

Condolences to the family.  As many of the above posters indicated, Don was an exceptional gentleman.  Extremely, extremely bright and extremely, extremely willing to help.

He also had a sense of humor.  The Renix versus H0 comments were always entertaining.

Which leads to the question… Will Don's heavenly MJ be Renix or H0?  And how much chrome will it have?

Seriously, Don will be missed greatly, and his absence leaves a huge hole in our hearts.

Gene

I am deeply moved by Don's passing as I'm sure all of us are here on CC.  It's a sad day indeed.  He will be missed as he has been already.

Wishing his family peace in their time of grief.

Here's to you Don!

I'm just seeing this.  I have been lurking on CC for quite some time and just recently began to post and respond again.  Don was, as many others have said, a huge resource and someone who showed respect even for those of us who didn't even know enough to ask the right questions.  The older I get, the more I realize how important and valuable people like Don are.

• Pete M unpinned this topic