Bench Seat vs Bucket Seats: which do you prefer?

Love the versitility of a bench, but Pete is right....those stock MJ benches were simply poorly made and do not hold up well.  

When I switched to Dakota buckets, the love for my Comanche deepened.  The bench was adequate for short trips.  I can now cruise for hours in my Dakota.  It is single-handedly the best modification I have ever done on my truck.  I chose the taller Dakota buckets.  These are super quality, superbly-made seats. 

I switch between both, buckets for me and a copilot, bench for an extra person wanting to wheel. and when i take one of my dogs out i remove the passenger bucket and fill the passenger side of the  cab with blankets so they have some where to lay down (big dogs)

1 hour ago, omega_rugal said:

can sit closer  :brows: some female passengers of course

My girlfriend (who is yet to ride in the MJ (but I’ve only been driving it for a few weeks)) is also part of the reason why I keep my bench. 

I restored my oem bucket seats and I much prefer them to bench seats over long distances or if off-road since they have much better containment. I would still swap them for some suspension seats in a heartbeat. Had corbeau suspension seats in my YJ and have also tried out the Jettrim HC seats. Those jettrims are hands down the best seats I’ve ever tried. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2020 at 5:53 PM, Ls2xjcomanche said:

I like the look of the bench better but the bucket seats are more comfortable to me. I have both, but the bench is reupholstered and the buckets are not done yet so going with the bench for now.

563D40DB-E4C5-4AF6-9571-2B0AFE8FEC26.jpeg

E6F9D5EC-049A-4404-B21D-3D1C53B0C22C.jpeg

That is the nicest looking bench seat that also looks like it was stock that i've ever seen. But it has headrests. What vehicle/seat is the bench seat from? 

1 hour ago, billyblankss said:

That is the nicest looking bench seat that also looks like it was stock that i've ever seen. But it has headrests. What vehicle/seat is the bench seat from? 

It would be from a 90-92 Comanche

Buckets for me.  The 87 had a bench and it was ok but not comfortable for more than an hour.  The 90 came with a bench and I swapped for a set of 2 door Grand Am GT leather buckets.  I loved those seats.  The 92 came with a bench that was in desperate need of new foam.  This time around I put in 2dr XJ buckets on MJ brackets.  I built the driver's seat out 3 or 4 different XJ buckets and it's pretty comfortable. 

My all time favorite truck seat was in my old Isuzu pickup.  I found a set of burgandy, tufted leather Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz in an 83 diesel. They were mint and sublime.

This is a topic that has conflicted me for a while.  The 88 Comanche I had, had a very nice condition bench.  I loved the versatility with things being easy to store behind it and the ability to put three people in it.  However, I didn't find it the most comfortable, I have long legs for being 5' 11" and I always felt like I could have used an extra inch or two.  Also the seat, though in great shape was kind of crowned and it always felt like I was tipping towards the drivers door.  I am thinking it may have needed some new foam.

I am intrigued to get a Comanche with buckets but could honestly deal with either.  The bench wasn't that uncomfortable, I did drive it 3,500 miles home when I bought the MJ.

8 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

This is a topic that has conflicted me for a while.  The 88 Comanche I had, had a very nice condition bench.  I loved the versatility with things being easy to store behind it and the ability to put three people in it.  However, I didn't find it the most comfortable, I have long legs for being 5' 11" and I always felt like I could have used an extra inch or two.  Also the seat, though in great shape was kind of crowned and it always felt like I was tipping towards the drivers door.  I am thinking it may have needed some new foam.

I am intrigued to get a Comanche with buckets but could honestly deal with either.  The bench wasn't that uncomfortable, I did drive it 3,500 miles home when I bought the MJ.

there's a writeup about using a Dakota split bench in the link in my signature.  :L:  takes a bit of effort to install, but waaaaaay more comfortable than the original benches.

I used to love my buckets because they are super comfy and only fit two people. Now that I have a child and can't drive with my whole family in it.....I hate them. With that in mind, someone please either sell be a bench or swap me for my grey buckets!!!!

I love my bench, I find it comfy and for being the original it’s in mint condition.  Plus the maroon and white stitching style reminds me of the couch we had back in the 80s in our living room:) Though if you ask my friend who went on a 12 hour round trip drive with me to upstate NY, he’d tell you his back hurt and he would’ve loved some head rests.

4E59243D-DB40-4F4B-B6FC-B7D664FEFE44.png

11 hours ago, Vineyard86manch said:

I love my bench, I find it comfy and for being the original it’s in mint condition.  

Is that the truck you bought in Montana just down the road a piece from coastal Massachusetts? It must have been kept in a hermetically sealed barn for 30 years. It looks great.

Bench seats are more versatile.

Comfort varies between people and everyone is different.

For me, the MJ will be a dedicated rock crawler.  My butt prefers the buckets for long stretches of time.  And the harness works better with a bucket seat.  So that's the direction I'm going.