-
Posts
5205 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Everything posted by ghetdjc320
-
Aftermarket telescoping steering shafts
ghetdjc320 replied to Gjeep's topic in MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs
Interesting find. I didn’t know there were other oe applications that could work. I went with a borgeson shaft that has the collapsible portion -
I’d go LS. Modern and efficient. I’ve done many gen 1 and 2 GM engines too and like the platform. But I’m done with carburetors, distributors and any version of throttle body injection. Plus I do look at the resale value of what I build. 350 swaps tend to be bottom dollar in the world of v8 swaps. It’s nice to have a matching numbers engine for certain clean restos. But when you’re already engine swapping, go for the most well supported platform imo
-
Project “Tomahawk”
ghetdjc320 replied to ghetdjc320's topic in MJ Hardcore Tech: Epic Journeys to Greatness
I’ve been toying with the idea of more power Trying to decide between some nice heads/cam/tune package and keep it N/A or going with the Edelbrock C5 supercharger system. The existing heads and cam are good candidates for supercharging though I may upgrade the retainers to titanium for some weight savings. NA I should be able to get around 425-450 whp but supercharged opens up even greater gains. Kinda on the fence as I like the idea of a clean smooth stock idle I can get with a supercharger but then again, the bolt on simplicity of heads cam is also appealing. If I went heads cam I have a good combo in mind that would keep a fairly smooth idle and solid midrange torque gains. Transmission should be good for around 500lbft of torque but I’m sure something would be the fuse if I get serious traction -
I’ll definitely echo the above regarding por15. Get it everywhere you can on the back side of joints. For the back window, that one can be a genuine pain. It could just be that you have some seal failures (it’s urethaned in place). But, the cab corner seams near the bottom corners of the window are also terrible leak spots. On my last MJ I had to cutout and repair the seam with new metal due to hidden rust. You may be able to get away with some por15 there as well. But the source tends to be the corners of the window frame in the cab. The factory seam sealer shrinks and leaves open gaps where water finds its way into those pinch seams. Pulling the rear window is a good idea. Personally, I’d have it professionally removed then replaced since the trim can be difficult to remove intact.
-
Dana 44 replacement axle shafts
ghetdjc320 replied to Anthi4078's topic in MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs
I’d imagine only a small group of club members know what Superior axles and gear was. But they were the leader in axle shafts, gears and install kits. Revolution axle is what’s left of their operations. Significantly higher quality than the plethora of copycat parts from the likes of Yukon, Ten Factory, Alloy USA, Motive, Dana SVL etc. They are as close as you’re going to get to genuine OE gears. Their axle shafts are up there with Moser and Dutchman. -
Dana 44 replacement axle shafts
ghetdjc320 replied to Anthi4078's topic in MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs
https://revolutiongear.com/revolution-gear-fits-jeep-dana-44-87-up-mj-and-xj-97-06-tj-w-dana-44-r-rear-axle/ Both RH and LH available. Excellent quality axle shafts. Also have the drilled access hole for your backing plate nuts which is very handy -
Tire Mount Ideas
ghetdjc320 replied to DesertComanche86's topic in MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs
Yep, always a possibility. I’ve wheeled that way for years. But I also keep a close eye on my tires and air pressure and only get quality tires. I wouldn’t run some crazy trails that would split my sidewalls, but I’ve aired down to 10psi or so and done some fun trails with them. It’s all risk management I suppose, but I’ve drifted away from the idea of an absolute need for a spare tire on recent builds. Had a 2022 wrx that we bought new and had no spare. Just a pump and some patches. Our beemers have no spares either but they do have run flats. -
Tire Mount Ideas
ghetdjc320 replied to DesertComanche86's topic in MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs
Personally, I ditched the spare and have an onboard air system with a patch kit. Quite a few new cars have done the same. -
Dana 44 replacement axle shafts
ghetdjc320 replied to Anthi4078's topic in MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs
Revolution axle has the replacement shafts you need -
Rear disks are nice for mud and can be a performance upgrade, but not always. 10” drums have significant shoe to drum contact surface and more of a true emergency brake vs just a parking brake.
-
Keep in mind that you could also go with the wilwood big brake kit for the D30 with the 89- knuckles. The D35 rear kit can also be made to fit the MJ44 with a couple of extra parts and some simple adjustments
-
Truetrac and similar lsds are great for street use and give excellent traction while still allowing differential action
-
Truetrac is a great option with nice street manners and decent trail capability. Gentle on axle shafts too. Otherwise a selectable locker is great. Lunchbox lockers are finicky on the rear.
-
The 8.8 is narrow for an MJ and has an overgrown pumpkin of a center section. The disk brakes on it are petite. A JK 44 is a great axle. KJ 8.25 with disks is a good width. But a stock MJ 44 with a disk swap is golden. And the MJ 44 is a very strong axle.
-
All depends how you wheel. A D44 in an MJ can easily handle it. My 8.25 is handling my LS with zero issues. Unless you’re running racing slicks with a weighted bed, you just aren’t going to get enough traction to kill anything. Exploder axles are a bit on the narrow side among other shortcomings …
-
120mph full custom OE gauge cluster - $350 NW Arkansas
ghetdjc320 replied to ghetdjc320's topic in For Sale
Let me know if interested -
Project “Tomahawk”
ghetdjc320 replied to ghetdjc320's topic in MJ Hardcore Tech: Epic Journeys to Greatness
Thank you very much! -
Project “Tomahawk”
ghetdjc320 replied to ghetdjc320's topic in MJ Hardcore Tech: Epic Journeys to Greatness
Yep the amp fits perfectly under the center console with about a 1/2” of airspace above it and plenty of venting out the back and sides. Our center consoles lend themselves very well to concealing an amp since they had the provision for the XJ rear air ductwork to pass through them. As for the radio, it now has a full programable internal DSP which makes all the difference. I am still using the powered speaker level outputs but that does help retain a good signal to noise ratio. Down the road, I’ll build another radio that deletes the internal preamp entirely and provides pre-outs. You can pull the line level signal from the RX radio before it goes to the amp stage but, the level is very low. If I was going that route, I’d probably use a good quality line level converter like an audio control unit. The built in amp for the rx series in only a 2channel but the preamp fader control splits the signals to power rear speakers. So, the advantage to keeping the the speaker level outs is that you can retain fader control which I’m using as a sub feed so I can adjust the sub level using the fader control. -
What CC knows about stock Jeep radios
ghetdjc320 replied to NickyV's topic in MJ Tech: DIY Projects and Write-Ups
Awesome, glad that helped! It can take a bit to reset the chip when Its not seeing the triggers from the tape mech. But it should stay that way now. BTW, that’s a pretty good looking radio there. Good candidate for a restoration -
What CC knows about stock Jeep radios
ghetdjc320 replied to NickyV's topic in MJ Tech: DIY Projects and Write-Ups
There is a radio mute function that is part of the tape mechanism logic that’s got you stuck. Are you ok with just deleting the tape player all together? If so, just remove the two main connectors from it along with the 3 wire signal out. Remove the four screws that retain the casette player chasis and you’re done. -
Project “Tomahawk”
ghetdjc320 replied to ghetdjc320's topic in MJ Hardcore Tech: Epic Journeys to Greatness
Wow, sound is phenomenal. The bass is super clear and deep. Still have some tuning to do. Also dropped the rear of each corbeau seat bracket 1.25” and welded them back up with proper alignment. Truly amazing how much more comfortable that small adjustment made it. I left the carpet out at the moment just to be sure I have zero further cab leaks and to do some further cable management. Finished my personal RX173 with the internals significantly modded. Now I have custom automatic signal routing, full programable DSP and multiple inputs. Restored the lighting, button backing and faceplate. every audio component is now hidden with zero space taken up on the cab. The custom Dakota digital dash is also an extremely good piece of tech. I’m running the canbus signals from the original vette ecu for gauge signals. -
Project “Tomahawk”
ghetdjc320 replied to ghetdjc320's topic in MJ Hardcore Tech: Epic Journeys to Greatness
Will found out in the next few days. I’m finishing up with some dash wiring work I needed to get done to accommodate the Dakota digital dash swap. Going to put back in the seats without the carpet to ensure I have zero water leaks and to make any other fine adjustments with cab wiring layout before laying down fresh carpet. Will report back soon though: -
Project “Tomahawk”
ghetdjc320 replied to ghetdjc320's topic in MJ Hardcore Tech: Epic Journeys to Greatness
Thanks! Now just need to reinstall the interior and make some bezels/grills for the b pillar trim.
