Bench Seat vs Bucket Seats: which do you prefer?

It seams to be that people prefer bucket seats, and on this forum in particular, there are a lot of bench to bucket conversions.

I, however, prefer the bench seat for the following reasons:

Fit 3 people.

Easier access for my dog.

I think they look cooler (classic pickup vibe).

Cons that I can think of:

Perhaps less comfortable.

the factory bench leaves much to be desired, especially if it's one without headrests. :(  But if we're talking a swapped-in bench like the late 90s Dakota, then I'm all in. :L: 

But then again, MJ buckets are incredibly comfortable to me personally.  :comanche:

I have buckets in my MJ right now but still have my bench.  I prefer the bench to the buckets as far as interior space and usability go.  However my bench has broke down bad enough that I can't sit in it for more than about 2mins without my back hurting. I intend to get it redone and put it back in at some point.  I do think the buckets are more comfortable than the bench and kinda like the sporty feel it gives the truck, but the bench is still my favorite.  I didnt buy my MJ wanting a sports car, it is a pickup truck.  lol

I like the bench because my bench is super comfortable. Plus, my parents don’t exactly have the nicest, newest, or most reliable vehicle (they have money, we just don’t need something newer yet), so having the ability to haul 3/4 of my family is nice, just in case we need to. 

I liked the bench seat in my 78 Chevy K20.  Plenty of room for activities.  Not trying that in the MJ.  My bench was (and is) in great shape, but the buckets are more comfortable.  I can't see putting three adults in an MJ for much longer than a trip down the block, and that's if it's an auto.

2 minutes ago, schardein said:

I can't see putting three adults in an MJ for much longer than a trip down the block, and that's if it's an auto.

the guy in the middle has shifting duties.  :laugh:

I acquired some nice buckets to install but didn't because the dog needed a place to sit between us.  The dog died so I thought now I can install the buckets because I think they would be more comfortable.  We weren't going to get another dog but kids kept pushing and showing adoptable dogs to us and now we have another dog  so I guess the bench will stay for the foreseeable future.  I did double up on the springs and reinforce them with zip ties so it's pretty comfortable now.

P1010943.JPG.cb1be842d3c8a5681005dc13daafdb82.JPG

Got him to keep the beasts out of my garden.

P1010912.JPG.eb36e026a1fb3568b372c7a3612fed8e.JPG

40 minutes ago, rokinn said:

I acquired some nice buckets to install but didn't because the dog needed a place to sit between us.  The dog died so I thought now I can install the buckets because I think they would be more comfortable.  We weren't going to get another dog but kids kept pushing and showing adoptable dogs to us and now we have another dog  so I guess the bench will stay for the foreseeable future.  I did double up on the springs and reinforce them with zip ties so it's pretty comfortable now.

P1010943.JPG.cb1be842d3c8a5681005dc13daafdb82.JPG

I'm keeping my bench for my dog too! I had a 97 Tacoma with a bench he used to love riding in. That's a cool dog, reminds me of mine.

20170111_102219.jpg.11dccf3944b6393a9078a420b3e093a6.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

The pass bucket belonged to my dog. :D   I stuffed the foot well full of things so she had a bigger place to lay down on long drives.

190205387.jpg

103746905.jpg

what shifter is that?

3 minutes ago, jdog said:

what shifter is that?

If you're referring to the knob, it's a random generic from like autozone, purchased many moons ago. 

If you're referring to the shifter itself, it's from a TJ.  :L: 

2 hours ago, Airborne Janitor said:

I'm keeping my bench for my dog too! I had a 97 Tacoma with a bench he used to love riding in. That's a cool dog, reminds me of mine.

They look pretty similar.  Mine's a Cavapoo.  A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Poodle mix.  Came from an Amish breeder.  Very well tempered, smart, and feisty and loves the snow as well.  What's yours?

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

The pass bucket belonged to my dog. :D   I stuffed the foot well full of things so she had a bigger place to lay down on long drives.

Good idea, looks like she had her own water bottle too.  :L:

My bench had 140k of wear on it (and I was a pretty chunky fella when I first got my MJ) but something about it made my butt really hurt after about 30 minutes of driving. Once I started routinely making drives of an hour or more in it, the bench had to go.

At first I thought I'd use it as a couch in the garage, but I needed the space it took up. So now it's covered up in the attic in case I ever want to put it back in.