ouch...

Pete M

in the back of my head I always knew that dealing with giant hunks of steel would bite me in the butt someday...  well today was that day.  my brain is still exhausted from the last 2 days of driving and pulling parts plus I was in a bit of a hurry to get the trailer unloaded (so I could return it on time) and I slipped on the ramp and had a bed fall on me.  fortunately my father was helping at the time and so the full weight of the bed didn't crush me, but I messed up my knee and possibly cracked a rib.  ow.  I've had better days, but this could have easily been worse so I figure I'll call it a "win" and a lesson learned.  :L:  If my knee or rib turns rainbow colors, I'll share a pic.  :laugh:  pain is high, but so far swelling has been minimal.  I've got more swelling in my hand where that tiny ant bit me yesterday.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so for a quick update, my hand looks more like a balloon than it did yesterday, my knee doesn't hurt unless I move (but holy cow does it hurt if I do the wrong thing like pivot while standing or try to roll over in bed), and I'm guessing I pulled muscle on my rib cage rather than cracked anything, but that's based on speculation due to what motions elicit pain.  we shall see what tomorrow brings.  I have a couple old pain pills left over from my gall bladder surgery so hopefully one of those will help me sleep.  If I'm worse tomorrow, I'll go to an urgent care.  if I see no improvement by monday I'll also go to an urgent care. 

my brother in law stopped and helped get all the beds off the trailer, so tomorrow morning I gotta figure out how to return that. 

status update:  no change on the pain front.  nothing much hurts until I move and then it's like I've been stabbed.  got a couple bruises on my arm and back that are colorizing themselves.  I've figure out how to get out of bed by using my left leg to essentially pick up my right leg by putting one ankle under the other and swinging it over the side.  as long as I keep the right leg limp, it doesn't hurt much to move it.  and the transisiton between straight and bent is slow and extrutiating so I try to keep it straight while sitting.  no big shocker that I've decided I shouldn't drive right now, so my pop helped me return the trailer this morning. 

we'll see what tomorrow brings...

what really sucks is that there's a 21 spline 242 at a local junkyard that I couldn't grab before the trip and now... I still can't...  :laugh: 

Glad you are ok.  This year has been notable so far in that I've been stung by wasps 3 times.  Once on my head at a junkyard.  Then a month later, on my right ear at home, and then the next day on the arm at another junkyard.   The one on my arm swelled a little and was noticeable for 3 days.  

hand swelling is finally coming down.  I can hobble around without the cane, but I've had a couple close calls when changing direction (i.e. pivoting off the right foot) or catching my toe on something and so I prefer having it, just in case.  gotta wait for my body to re-learn walking I guess. :laugh:  I've also been working on a way to sleep on my side and support the knee (which is super picky about what angle it's at).  so far laying on my left is a no-go, but on my right shows promise.  there's very little pain if I sleep on my back with the leg perfectly straight, but I just don't sleep well that way, never have.  I guess we'll see what the morning brings.  :popcorn:

I seriously would if it helped, but ice doesn't seem to do anything but make my skin cold.  :(  heat is working better, but the problem appears to be more internal than the external temperature applications can really affect.