ouch...

Pete M

my doc is 750 miles away. :(  and my insurance only covers emergency visits when out of state (and no, this isn't exactly life threatening).  so I'm giving it some time and taking it eeeeeasy.  if no improvement happens, then urgent care might be able to shed some light on what's wrong.  but I gotta get back to michigan to do anything truly invasive. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doctor may be best.  Sounds like you broke the part of your knee joint that governs its rotation.  Continuing to stress it by walking increases the risk of it not healing right and you'll be stuck with the pain for the rest of your life, or require surgery.  A doctor can make sure it's set right, if it is broken.  Even if you need to pay cash, last time I broke my elbow I went into a specialty joint clinic and the cost of an xray + sling was barely $150

my money is on a tendon issue.  I've broken bones and I've fractured bones and they don't stop hurting just because I stopped moving.  heck, I can cross my legs pain-free if I manually move the dang thing with my hands. :dunno:  but yeah, I should probably find a local urgent care that specializes in sports injuries and at least see what they say after an examination. 

sorry to hear about your accident Pete. being injured while working on cars sucks. broke my leg back in late march with a tib fib fracture while skiing, no fun. been trying to do my axle swap while still not 100% and it has been an adventure

made a trip over to a Urgent Care this morning.  Doc says it's not likely a bone issue, but a tendon one, so she prescribed some anti-inflammatory stuff and gave me an address of a place that does MRIs outside of insurance.  she recommended giving it a few days to see what the drugs can do to improve things.  If I can recover enough to drive again, I'll be heading north to see my PCP.  If not, I'm likely going to be flying north to see my PCP.  think I can bring a couple beds along as checked luggage?  :D 

Could you go to the local Walgreens or cvs and get a leg immobilizer. If it is a tear in a ligament or tendon thats most likely what the er will do instill you get a MRI. I know about knee tears.  Part of the reason I sold my 400ex. Lol

Just read your post. Suprised they didnt immobilize it.

update: so I've started all my new meds and wore the brace, and yesterday was a very positive day.  it felt like real progress was happening. :D  then this morning I woke up in pain... lots of pain.  so it looks like I'm just going to be sleeping in the brace from now on.  :(  just can't trust my unconscious body to not try and roll over I guess. :fistshake2:  but hopefully I didn't do any more damage and it's just straight up pain.  we'll see how today goes. 

all the pain was gone within an hour of wearing the brace and walking around and didn't return.  :D  definitely sleeping with it on tonight

but I had a minor issue today.  I stepped up my dosage on the one drug from 1 pill to 2 (was prescribed 2), but I had an episode of... "insufficient breathing" during a nap today so I'm going back to 1.  and I might stop the pain med altogether.  20 years ago when sleep was trying to kill me due to my original illness, this happened a lot.  it's very scary and I honestly want nothing to do with any med that might cause it.  but I'll stick it out a bit more at the minimum dose.  I think the brace helps more than anything else at this point. 

46 minutes ago, Pete M said:

nothing like compounding the "may cause drowsiness" meds.   :crazy:

Yeah, no kidding. Gabapentin and Baclofen can both make make people short of breath if they've had a previous history of lung related diseases/illnesses. Nerve pain meds in general can have that effect. I'm guessing they told you to up the dosage as needed :bananagun:

As an aside, back when I worked in EMS, some of us would call gabapentin gabagool as a joke. Hopefully, the rest of the pain subsides soon! 

"as needed" is tricky since it doesn't hurt when I'm doing the right thing and it always hurts when I do the wrong thing.  :laugh:   mostly we're just trying to reduce the swelling to see if I can drive again and get up north for the next step. 

My neighbor had a hip replacement awhile back.  She said the only thing that helped with the pain enough to let her sleep was CBD.  It works well at reducing pain and inflammation.  I did a cursory look at the laws in Georgia and you can get hemp derived cbd there.  It was recommended to get it online and I would recommend using only the CO2 processed form.  It works well as a Cox2 inhibitor.  Good luck.

I appreciate the suuggestion, but between the 2 new meds I have that cause drowsiness and my prior health issues needing a literal pick-me-up med, I try to avoid anything that might relax me any further.  :(  

I think I've finally figured out how to get into the drivers seat of the Jeep with minimal pain.  it involves putting the seat all the way back and pushing off the door with my good leg.  there's going to be a lot of shoe marks on that door panel...    :doh: