ouch...

Pete M

On 8/18/2021 at 8:02 AM, Pete M said:

I think I've finally figured out how to get into the drivers seat of the Jeep with minimal pain.  it involves putting the seat all the way back and pushing off the door with my good leg.  there's going to be a lot of shoe marks on that door panel...    :doh:

But show marks can be cleaned

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grit scratches can't. :D  but it hardly matters on a rusty Jeep.  it is what it is. 

so today I hit the junkyard.  meaning I drove there all by myself like a big boy. :laugh:  met up with Ryan who did all the ground work and wheelbarrel moving to get that 242 out of the waggy. (huge thanks!!)  The drive was... interesting.  especially the first few miles as I learned that I need the seat practically all the way back now to keep the leg straight-ish.  and I'm now a 2-footer for stop and go traffic.  I've got no issue with slamming on the brakes with my right, but keeping that foot on the brake pedal for longer time causes some nasty aches.  but I drove there (half-hour) and walked a lot more than I probably should have in the junkyard and got all the way home. 

so am I ready for a 12 hour excursion north?  heck no.  any achy-ness that occurs doesn't tend to go away on its own while I'm pinned in the drivers seat.  it's going to take a bit longer (assuming there's any more healing I can do on my own) and likely going to need a 2 day adventure north. 

still, this sure feels like progress :D we shall see. 

• 2 weeks later...

update:  same ol', same ol'.  I seem to hit a plateau with self-recovery.  If I'm standing, no pain.  if I'm lying flat on my back with my leg straight, no pain.  but every other position causes either instant stabbing pain or eventually the achiness creeps in.  doesn't bode well for 12 hours of driving but whatever. :dunno:  at this point I don't feel that I'm a danger to my fellow motorists, It just means I'm going to be taking lots of breaks.  aiming for next weekend for the drive north. 

I've discovered that if I flip around the metal bits in the knee brace, it does a much better job of keeping my leg straight.  I'm sure this is much harder on the nylon pockets they fit into, but whatever.  it's a 20 dollar brace.  I'll get another if I kill it before I'm done with it.   :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

yup, talked the doc yesterday.  MRI shows nothing requiring surgery and I'm approved to start rehab exercises.  :banana:  so tomorrow I'm heading back south with a to-do list.  Still hurts like hell if I move the wrong way, and I can't kneel down, but it has been continuously improving so I'm looking forward to maybe being able to rotate a set of tires in a few weeks. :D 

walked a full lap of Epcot yesterday and a good portion of AK today.  so far so good. :L:  aside from the fact that hobbling around for a month has left me surprisingly out of shape, the important part is that nothing new hurts.  :banana:  2 weeks ago I would have needed a cane.  3 weeks and I'd likely have been in a wheelchair.  Just gotta focus on the end goal and not do anything stupid.  :D 

Not sure what our plans are, we should be on property by noon at the latest Friday.  Shes got everything mapped out, lol.  Ill text you a sitrep once we're there....I just want to sit in a chair, relax and have a beer or a fruity drink of some sort.  Maybe we can meet up Friday night or Saturday :beerbang:

• 2 weeks later...

major milestone this weekend!  I knelt down. :D  like, with full weight on my knees.  I still feel it, but it's not the intense pain it was just a week ago.  was a huge help to be able to crawl under that 86 and install the axle.  :banana:

although having not done much manual labor for the last month and then pulling a front axle and installing a front axle all by myself today has left me quite sore.  ack!  :crazy:

Knee pads, if you’re not already using them. I used to be able to kneel on hard surfaces no issue, but it’s starting to get uncomfortable for me, and I’m only 30. Most hardware stores sell them for contractors to kneel on comfortably all day, and it makes a huge difference spreading the load out instead of focusing it on a couple hot spots. They can seem spendy, but it’s well worth it. The sports variety aren’t so effective for work, given their lightweight nature and only being intended for occasional impacts, not constant stress. My boss can’t even kneel on softer surfaces without knee pads any more, and he’s still an active skier, out on the hill more days than I am. 

Good to hear you’re recovering. 

• 2 weeks later...

jogged a little today (like 20 yards) just to see if I could.  no pain at all from that. :banana:  yesterday I lightly kicked a soccer ball back to my nephew and got that intense stabby pain on the side of my knee that put an end to the fun real fast.  not sure what to make of it all other than I'm more healed than before but have a ways to go.  :dunno: