what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

13 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Where are you ordering Key Parts from in Canada, if you don’t mind me asking?

I ordered from their eBay USA store and have it shipped to a US address and use this package forwarding service https://shippsy.com/r/PY90Ya the nice part is the company brings it across the border and then ships it out to me using Canada Post. The actual fee they charge and the shipping on this side of the border was both reasonable. I just ordered something from Amazon USA last week and it's on it's way through there, but that's a tool not an MJ part.

54 minutes ago, 91Pioneer said:

I ordered from their eBay USA store and have it shipped to a US address and use this package forwarding service https://shippsy.com/r/PY90Ya the nice part is the company brings it across the border and then ships it out to me using Canada Post. The actual fee they charge and the shipping on this side of the border was both reasonable. I just ordered something from Amazon USA last week and it's on it's way through there, but that's a tool not an MJ part.

Nice. There’s a parcel pickup places just across the border from me, but I’m still some distance from the border. Looong day out there and back plus the hassle of border crossings, Doesn’t seem worth it for smaller stuff… especially considering my only legal vehicle at this exact moment is once again a Lada. Hadn’t found a package service yet that ships, but if these guys are willing to actually use the mail then that’s amazing. Only reliable way for me to get stuff other than driving hundreds of km myself. 

Would be nice if key parts would start shipping to Canada from their eBay store, but they’ve likely got agréments with wholesalers getting in the way or something. I just haven’t found a wholesaler up here that has all of the MJ parts listed… none of them are holding inventory on it from what I can tell but most just have the initial stuff that was launched and haven’t updated to include much more. 

I'm ~2 hrs from the border and I decided that I need to stop delaying purchases on things that don't ship to Canada. I usually only cross the border to pickup packages like once a year and it's usually in winter. So I figured enough is enough, this place will handle almost any size package and save me time and gas so in the end it's probably still worth it. I will have to go to the border if I get something large though maybe like tires or bigger. Shippsy has multiple locations, I picked the BC location to save on shipping on this side of the border since it's closer than the ON address.

I have found many eBay sellers that won't ship to Canada. Half the time if I contact them they will turn on global shipping but half the time they just say no. There is a "global shipping" option that sellers can use, they ship to a US eBay warehouse address so it's much easier for them, and then eBay handles it from there.

21 hours ago, 91Pioneer said:

I have found many eBay sellers that won't ship to Canada. Half the time if I contact them they will turn on global shipping but half the time they just say no. There is a "global shipping" option that sellers can use, they ship to a US eBay warehouse address so it's much easier for them, and then eBay handles it from there.

I hear you. I am one of those ebay sellers that disables outside of the usa 48 shipping. I will consider shipping overseas on a case by case basis if a buyer asks. The reason being is the way ebay places such scrutiny on tracking numbers. If I send something to the UK for example, the tracking number ends at the border and a new one is granted once it arrives at the other shore. If a buyer in the UK claims the item was never received, ebay sees the tracking number only made it to the usa coast and no more, and then provides the buyer a refund. The seller than loses out on the item and the purchase price. It's a pain. I have not used their global shipping option yet, but this alone has burned many ebay sellers. Maybe I'll reconsider it in the future.

Granted, I do ship overseas using pirateship. I've done it with comanche parts. It works great. There's no middleman and no ebay pulling the money from my account.

Even as a buyer the global shipping program’s been hit or miss for me. Used to be a crap shoot what service they’d send your stuff with. I have never lived somewhere both courriers and the post office could deliver to. Currently my physical and mailing address aren’t even in the same town so I can’t even put both PO Box and street address on the thing, have to send stuff to a friend’s place. 

• 4 weeks later...

Made a adapter harness for the 98-2001 wiper motor. Picked up one for the 92-97 off of eBay. Found the terminals for the 2001 connector form a company www.connectorexperts.com. So no splicing or soldering just pop pins out and replace with new. Not cheap thou $45.00 with shipping for 10 of them. They also sell connector for many vehicles. The lower one is what I made, the other is a Jeep harness (04728877). Picked up a complete wiper motor and linkage off a 2001 Cherokee along with the connector. Now to find time to install so that I have wipers that will actually wipe with some speed.

IMG_20230809_201607.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Replaced the harmonic balancer on the ‘89. That bolt was tight! I tried putting grade 8 bolts (5/16-18 1 1/2 inches long) in the puller holes to brace the pulley with a pry bar so it wouldn’t move but both snapped!! Had to resort to the redneck method of turning over the engine with the socket on the bolt and the wrench against the frame, worked GREAT. Drilled and tapped two holes (couldn’t drill out the snapped bolts) so I could use the puller then had to go back to the hardware store 16 miles away to get a longer bolt (1/2-20 2 inches long) and some washers to install the new balancer. All good now.

IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

2 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Replaced the harmonic balancer on the ‘89. That bolt was tight! I tried putting grade 8 bolts (5/16-18 1 1/2 inches long) in the puller holes to brace the pulley with a pry bar so it wouldn’t move but both snapped!! Had to resort to the redneck method of turning over the engine with the socket on the bolt and the wrench against the frame, worked GREAT. Drilled and tapped two holes (couldn’t drill out the snapped bolts) so I could use the puller then had to go back to the hardware store 16 miles away to get a longer bolt (1/2-20 2 inches long) and some washers to install the new balancer. All good now.

IMG_3482.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg

I lucked out when I did mine, the cheap puller I had used the same thread for its centre portion, so I was able to use that to push the pulley on. 

• 2 weeks later...

figured out that the issue isn't electrical, it's mechanical.   turns out you can't swap a floor shifter cable with the column cable, even though the ends look identical. :doh:

but I'm ecstatic either way.  :banana:

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

figured out that the issue isn't electrical, it's mechanical.   turns out you can't swap a floor shifter cable with the column cable, even though the ends look identical. :doh:

but I'm ecstatic either way.  :banana:

This is good information to know.

I was debating asking Kody if he had a spare column shifter cable in the future in case mine ever bites the dust. Column shift best shift lol :wink: