what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

I bled the coolant out on the 87 MJ today, after swapping the water pump and thermostat yesterday...

then I replaced the MAP and IAC on it, since it was idling erradically...though it is still doing it after an ICM replacement too :nuts:

oh well, I got her running again.

anyone else get anything done?

Bobbed the bed on a picture to see what it would look like, and have been dreaming of buying a set of 33s for it.

Also came up with a plan to start painting it this winter (at least the front of it) without having a garage:

-take off fender

-take to basement

-paint

-reinstall

-repeat on other side

etc.

Will be a little timt consuming, but I got all winter (minus 1 1/2 weeks in Canada).

Reattached the wire to switch (mounted in unused clock space) for 2nd gear lock in on the AW4. Did a lousy quick job on initial installation. Pop always said "do it right the first time"..

Also wiped the canada goose s--- off my back window. I'm right in their flight path to the lake.

Reattached the wire to switch (mounted in unused clock space) for 2nd gear lock in on the AW4. Did a lousy quick job on initial installation. Pop always said "do it right the first time"..

Also wiped the canada goose s--- off my back window. I'm right in their flight path to the lake.

nice, but why would you need a 2nd gear lock? you can shift into 1-2 and the problem, from my experience, is that I'm trying to keep it in 1st gear...and it wants to shift up...

I played with the darn distributor for about 2 hours. It started with just the gasket replacement but then quickly rose to a fun mid-day project with me turning the thing over to find TDC( I bumped the ignition switch on accident!)

It's all good now.

Let Steph drive it to work..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :wall: :doh: ....... lol

The Mrs. just took mine to work also... I didn't drive it this past week...it's funny to watch her drive a stick...kills it every time...

My TJ is in pieces...quite a few in fact.... and I needed to have a vehicle in case I needed to take the rugrats somewhere, which isn't possible in the MJ (Two 3 year olds and only 1 extra Seat)..

JeepcoMJ; Locking it in 2nd just gives you a couple more gear options. Like when coming down a long incline its serves as a slight compression brake, you don't have to ride your brakes as much/severe to decrease speed. It's great in town when you want more sustrained grunt like above 10 MPH or to cruise at lets say 15 - 30 MPH without the obnoxious roar of the engine or constant upshifting to 3rd. Or if you downshift to 1-2 & don't necessarily want it to slam into 1st gear when speed drops to 30-35 MPH. Or in 2 wd flip the switch & leave the light in 2nd gear in icy conditions witout spinning a wheel. Or leave the light under full throttle & I choose when to shift to 2nd gear & 3rd. I use it mostly going up hill to maintain RPM and advoid annoying locking & unlocking of TC. Like I said just a personal preference for more control.

I replaced the coolant. Not sure I did it right though! Book says it needs 12.5 quarts and I only managed to fit 4.5 quarts in! Guess I didn't manage to drain it down properly :fool: And I sealed up the leaky bed cap with some RV sealant. It's hideous stuff, I just spent the last half hour trying to get it off my hands :rant:

Drove it to my parents this morning to finsh a side job i started yesterday for someone , once i got paid i drove to the gastation and filled the tank jamminz.gif (light was on ). that was the first time the tank has been full in over 4 years . drove it to Orchard Supply Hardware to buy some bolts to bolt my new gunsafe down and ran into a manche that is identical to mine , color/interior but bone stock and droped a C.C. card on the window then drove home and finaly put my stereo back in and was tuning it untill the wife said otherwise . later i filled the back with stuff to throw away at work tomorow , it sure is nice having a running truck again comancheB.gif

i took it down the street to day. later i took the diff cover off of my 8.8 to see why the limited slip wasint working. i found out when i couldnt find one. so the guy screwed me over that sold me that rear end. o well i would have replaced it with a locker sooner or later. ill just start saving up for one now. :ack:

Not much really..... took my tow strap out of the toolbox for another mission, and just did some research on the few mods I'm doing next.

OTOH, I did ponder that if gas had been this cheap when I did my 4.0 swap (last fall), if I wouldve gone for a 350 chevy instead.

started it for the first time in two weeks, let it warm up in the driveway. Noticed a strong smell of gasoline and saw a growing puddle amidships.....fuel filter was leaking. Replaced filter and flexible lines to and from it, drove it around a bit, and reparked it for another couple weeks :(

Jeff