what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

36 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Not sure what the "newer" ones look like, but if they're just a channel with sliding clips I don't see why they wouldn't, unless they are too wide.

Here's the rail on my 01 XJ.  Probably not as good for use as bed cargo rails.

IMG_20200420_093353.jpg

20 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Hey thocodemonk I can't see your picture, but from derf's picture I have to agree with him the new ones may not work.

Yeah, mine was similar, just a different angle.  Sounds like it's time to hit the junkyards for some XJ roof rails!

Make sure you keep the Torx bolts that secure the rails to the XJ roof, they have a very flat head so the clips can slide over them. I purchased stainless pan head Torx bolts and ground the heads for clearance. Then when I went to grab the screw-in attachments I found the original bolts in the bag :dunce::doh:

I spent the last 2 days changing a u joint and both rear wheel bearings. It began with just the clunky u joint.  I crawled under to change it and noticed the wheel seals leaking.  I thought to myself what a great time to fix it since I didn't need to drive anywhere for a few days.  After a lot of chasing parts, received wrong parts first round, I found a press at a friend of a friend house.

It took 2 days because for some silly reason I still don't own a press.  Locating and obtaining permission to use one, seems to be more difficult than before.  I think when all this crap is over I am making a trip to harbor fraught to purchase a press. 

Put her all back together yesterday afternoon.  Took a short test drive.  Unfortunately something happened to the soothing vibration and growl coming from the rear of the truck.  Now I have to listen to that silly radio in the dash.  Oh well I trust my truck to begin making another joyful sound of carnage for me to listen to soon enough.....

I always seem to be a day behind when I get on here.  lol

Yesterday I tackled the new project on the mj.  Sleeping quarters.  I put the topper back on and began construction of a sleeping platform with storage underneath. 

don't worry everthing is good with the wife, I don't need a place to sleep.  We are planning a road trip vacation to go see Yellowstone National Park and I have convinced her to take the truck.   Today I have to deck the platform and begin working on a liner for the topper and some lighting....

Got the roll bar back in. This time I made gaskets using 1/8" rubber sheet  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016C5G5V4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I used a grommet punch and an elecrtrical conduit connector to punch the holes, then punched holes in the bed mat using a piece of sharpened 3" exhaust pipe and my HF 20 ton press to fit around the front mounts.

RollBar.jpg.d95ba2e2563e5a37dc628ca03acd4fce.jpg

RollBarGaskets.jpg

RollBarMatPlug.jpg

RollBarMat.jpg

20 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Got the roll bar back in. This time I made gaskets using 1/8" rubber sheet  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016C5G5V4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I used a grommet punch and an elecrtrical conduit connector to punch the holes, then punched holes in the bed mat using a piece of sharpened 3" exhaust pipe and my HF 20 ton press to fit around the front mounts.

RollBar.jpg.d95ba2e2563e5a37dc628ca03acd4fce.jpg

RollBarGaskets.jpg

RollBarMatPlug.jpg

RollBarMat.jpg

Well, I was about to give you a hard time for cutting up a good bed mat but I see it is already cut up for the tool box so I guess youre off the hook. But that is all rather smart way to put in a roll bar with the bed mat.

36 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well, I was about to give you a hard time for cutting up a good bed mat...

It is a factory mat but the version without the AMC Jeep logo so I didn't feel as bad cutting it.:)) The cut out part was put to good use, it lines the bottom of the box.

Tried desperately to bleed the brakes only to find out that my brake hoses have definitely collapsed. Ordered replacements. Truck won't get registered this week most likely =P

Should have just replaced them in the first place but between the cooling system, wiring, fuel tank, tires, etc I forgot about them until yesterday.

This weekend was an interesting on for the MJ.  Started out like any other friday morning but by 1pm I was elbow deep in my buddys excursion.  He came in my drive doing 2mph and what sounded like 50,000 rpm.  We new the transmission was getting close but neither of us was prepared for the sudden death.  So the MJ had to sleep outside for the weekend but it became more fun on monday morning.  I woke up at the but crack of dawn to take the MJ, with the transmission loaded the night before and strapped securely in the bed.  Drove to my buddys house about 20mins south and picked him and a fresh cup of coffee up.  Drove approximately 30mins north to the local tranny shop to exchange his junk for a fresh rebuild.  We pull into the tranny shop parking lot and I parked the MJ.  We climb out and I just about crapped my drawers.  There under my baby is a puddle the size of a large wheelbarrow tub in the middle of what was a dry parking spot.  After a very short investigation we realized the torque coverter had fallen from his trans and turned my MJ into a bit of a rolling, Mercron filled swimming pool.  Boy was I relieved.  Long story short we made it back to the shop with a trans that functions as it should and my buddy was back on the road about 2pm yesterday.  The best part about it all is I get all day today to wash out the bed and the rest of the truck.  But thats ok it was due for a bath. I will try to remember to take some pics of before and after....

I finally made a permanent license plate holder. It took me a while to figure out which way I wanted to do it, especially with my XJ rear bumper and the Scarfab trailer hitch. I finally realized I may be able to mount it over top of the hitch. That would keep it centered up and below the top level of the bumper. I used a 2 1/2" U bolt, welded to a 1/4" steel plate with a light holder welded to it. Then I slid the U bolt over the hitch snout and bolted it down. This way it is removable if needed, and the 1/4" plate acts as a bumper guard when backing up to a trailer. Stupid me didn't take any pictures of the build process. All the plate bolt holes and light bolt holes are threaded, then the whole thing was primed and sprayed with bedliner.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:00 AM, watchamakalit said:

This weekend was an interesting on for the MJ.  Started out like any other friday morning but by 1pm I was elbow deep in my buddys excursion.  He came in my drive doing 2mph and what sounded like 50,000 rpm.  We new the transmission was getting close but neither of us was prepared for the sudden death.  So the MJ had to sleep outside for the weekend but it became more fun on monday morning.  I woke up at the but crack of dawn to take the MJ, with the transmission loaded the night before and strapped securely in the bed.  Drove to my buddys house about 20mins south and picked him and a fresh cup of coffee up.  Drove approximately 30mins north to the local tranny shop to exchange his junk for a fresh rebuild.  We pull into the tranny shop parking lot and I parked the MJ.  We climb out and I just about crapped my drawers.  There under my baby is a puddle the size of a large wheelbarrow tub in the middle of what was a dry parking spot.  After a very short investigation we realized the torque coverter had fallen from his trans and turned my MJ into a bit of a rolling, Mercron filled swimming pool.  Boy was I relieved.  Long story short we made it back to the shop with a trans that functions as it should and my buddy was back on the road about 2pm yesterday.  The best part about it all is I get all day today to wash out the bed and the rest of the truck.  But thats ok it was due for a bath. I will try to remember to take some pics of before and after....

I did that once with a C6; I had secured the converter, but some dipstick forgot to put the dipstick tube back in after separating engine and trans. My poor Ranchero was bleeding Type F for several miles from sloshing back and forth....:brickwall:

Installed a new cruise control clip. My first ever 3D printed part I've purchased and couldn't be happier! 

Also found out the mice enjoyed my MOPAR spark plug wires while I was gone.... gonna get a set of AC Delco ones to replace.

15905220934444644640890619481158.jpg

15905221692894046642105474211657.jpg

Well finally had enough time today to tighten the fan belt, change oil, clean air filter, install PS TenFactory axle, new knuckle bolts and axle nuts on both sides, and installed the Rough Country HD steering setup with stabilizer.  I'm done and in the hammock!

IMG_20200530_171358_2.jpg

Never really worked on anything on a car before. First time tooling around the engine bay. Been building confidence thanks to sound advice. Just taking things apart and taking pictures. 

I swapped out my warped air box with one a pulled off a MJ in the junkyard.

restored the silver stripes on the airbox, and Jeep emblem on my steering wheel. 

Put on a piece of vinyl tested for reproduction on my door also .  

51BDBDBF-E67F-4506-8380-0892C4CB1CA9.jpeg

7D6F8240-6D2D-4123-981A-7D58946A539B.jpeg

3071722B-2D3F-47BB-B4EE-1EE5EF412296.jpeg

B2A5BDE6-F1B5-4130-A7A7-89C448F0C003.jpeg

2863F7F9-C560-48D5-B12B-0164BA59B051.jpeg

I added led tails, cargo, and front marker lights.  Nothing exotic just changed out bulbs.  I also go my 7 pin trailer harnes mounted, not fully wired.  I am awaiting the arrival of more parts in the next few days.  Maybe I can remember to take some pics this time......