what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

On 1/3/2020 at 5:39 PM, Old man with MJ said:

Tell us about the mirror install,wasn't some wiring required? I like it.

The mirror is a Gentex, bought it on ebay.  These were the same mirrors used in Silverados and Tahoes from factory.  Its a complete kit - just need a hot and a ground to install.  These come in several variants - this kit was $69!  I installed it in about an hour.  Have to pull visor, DS A-pillar trim (upper and lower).  I just tied into an open slot in my fuse box and ran the temp sender wires through the blank in the firewall above the hood latch cable.  I mounted the temp sensor on the core support above the headlight so it will get fresh air from the grill pre-radiator.

I drove it to work today. First time and it did great. I love the headlights now, old eyes can see when there’s light. I got my temp sensor in the mail today and hopefully this weekend I’ll get it put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about it!

It's sitting in a barn on my family's land in Oklahoma right now but hopefully I'll be bringing it up to Denver later this year after I buy a house. I want to get it running well enough to confidently make it my winter truck for all the ski/snowboarding trips, and I'll keep my JKU my everyday vehicle and especially my summer vehicle since the A/C in the MJ doesn't work :laugh:

46 minutes ago, Zambeezy said:

I thought about it!

It's sitting in a barn on my family's land in Oklahoma right now but hopefully I'll be bringing it up to Denver later this year after I buy a house. I want to get it running well enough to confidently make it my winter truck for all the ski/snowboarding trips, and I'll keep my JKU my everyday vehicle and especially my summer vehicle since the A/C in the MJ doesn't work :laugh:

I have the tools to make new AC hoses and crimp them properly if you're ever interested in rebuilding your AC.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not technically today, but this weekend I did a lot of work on the MJ.  I did an oil change and picked up a new power steering pump (bearing was beyond shot). My nephew and I pulled and recovered the headliner (which in terrible, terrible shape - cracked, peeled, duct taped, & previously recovered), pulled the majority of the dash, sliced it like swiss cheese, and installed a thin 9.1 Android  double din head unit and usb ports.  Still have to run back-up camera and gps antenna.  We had plans to do more, but the cold weather, slowed us down.  This morning I had the honor of pulling my fuel regulator and installing a new o-ring since it decided to puke fuel way too close to the exhaust manifold!  Hopefully I'll have the power steering pump on later today.  

I also pilfered my old junkyard Cherokees and found an o-$#!& handle & several trim pieces I was missing, apparently two full long auto consoles, two rear overhead speaker bars, a good manual DS regulator, and a couple power regs in addition to all the mechanical hardware still on them.  I'm going to attempt to put one of the soundbars in my truck (see pic after recover).  If it works well, I'll have the other one available.  They come with a dome light in center and pre-wired, fits 5-1/4s speakers.  I'm still deciding on how to go with the lower vent hole in dash.  I think I may move the radio up  and make enough room to cut and reuse the factory vent...  just not sure yet.

I did take some in-process pictures while doing the radio install if anyone needs to see them for their own job.  The head unit I purchased on ebay is awesome for less than $100. Its only about 1-1/2 thick which is a plus trying to fit in our dash.  Plenty of input/output options, good power output, easy interface, can even control onboard electronic functions on newer vehicles - more than just canbus stuff and tpms.  New version of Android, front cam DVR & usb storage support, and the ability to change button colors among other things.  I'm really happy with it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Android-9-0-2GB-32GB-2-Din-Car-Stereo-GPS-Navi-Radio-Wifi-DAB-OBD-SWC-DVR/254300505116?hash=item3b357dc41c:g:ONEAAOSwcvtdLwvq . 

MJ-HEADLINER.jpg

MJ-RADIO.jpg

MJ-SPEAKER.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

very nice!  feel free to do a writeup for the DIY forum  :L: 

IF I figure out how to fix the vent issue, I'll try to write something up lol.  I took a few pictures of the plugs/cables on the heater relocate and a picture of the cutting of the heater box and bezel.  I'll have to pull the head unit back out to install the GPS and backup harnesses, so I can get better pictures of the head unit and mounting holes I had to make at that time.  It may be a couple weekends, but I'll try to get something together.  I'll probably wait until I install the overhead speaker bar and run all the wires at that time.

Installed my Scarfab (Krustyballer) hitch that Ive had sitting around for better than a year. My truck was rear bumper delete from the factory, so none of the bolt holes back there were threaded. Otherwise it went on easy. I had to modify my XJ rear bumper a little to get it back on with the hitch, but it all worked out. IMG_20200120_171116194_HDR.jpg.077fbb7eebdc8bc14a7fd42fa848e563.jpgIMG_20200121_172443735.jpg.30db8acef9aaaf01253074497b6c8953.jpg

Well, the age gremlins strike again!  Today I had to change out the starter; it would not start without the hammer.  Had ordered a new Remy from Rock Auto, just waiting for the day.  Seems like it cranks faster now and sounds better.  So, to recap, new battery, fuel regulator o-ring, and starter in less than a week. This thing is nickle and dime-ing me to death lol.  Cerwin Vega components came in for the overhead sound bar - that will be another days project.

1 hour ago, EvilMJ said:

Well, the age gremlins strike again!  Today I had to change out the starter; it would not start without the hammer.  Had ordered a new Remy from Rock Auto, just waiting for the day.  Seems like it cranks faster now and sounds better.  So, to recap, new battery, fuel regulator o-ring, and starter in less than a week. This thing is nickle and dime-ing me to death lol.  Cerwin Vega components came in for the overhead sound bar - that will be another days project.

just empty every pocket is our motto  :D 

This is after a flush & fill with pre mix 50\50.
Chem tested - no head gasket leak!
Dash, thermostat housing, radiator cap.
It's running 225° with the AC on at highway, or city speeds. If I try to tow my #800 trailer it runs up around 250°, with or without AC.
It's never run this warm before. Just started yesterday.

I don't understand WTF is going on.

7906edbbcb554a82eb11042d3c5d4d4c.jpgbea26783d80f93bb704c04bd927d6ebf.jpg0aebc51033dd7987b8b5100cc67ea070.jpg

How old is the fan clutch?

5 hours ago, Sly_MJ said:

How old is the fan clutch?

Did we just pull up a topic from last May?  lol.  Is Greasemonkey still having problems?  If so, I'd say fan clutch or water pump...

On 1/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, EvilMJ said:

I did take some in-process pictures while doing the radio install if anyone needs to see them for their own job. 

I'd definitely be interested in seeing how you managed this. I'm looking at a similar unit and am interested in the behind the scenes work

14 hours ago, damianriel said:

I'd definitely be interested in seeing how you managed this. I'm looking at a similar unit and am interested in the behind the scenes work

Here are some pics of what I did for fitment.  The weekend slipped away from me (plus the weather was cold af), so I haven't gotten around to reworking everything to make the lower vent fit.  I really didn't like the idea of just blocking it off.  I did consider dropping the radio down and adding a MKIV VW cup holder lol, but I have plenty in the console.

I didn't even consider moving the controls to the bottom and radio to the top because of trying to run the slide cable from the controls.  It would go right into the side of the air box/glove box area - too much hassle.  BTW, an oscillating tool is a necessity for this job.  Corded ones can be had at Harbor Freight for about $30.  I have a cordless in my collection of tools already.  Will I consider trying to rebox the airbox when I fix the vent?  I really don't know.  The radio plays fine even with the heat blowing on the back, and airflow to vents seems to be fine, so I really don't know.  In summer the AC will keep it cool lol.

MJ-DASH4.jpg

MJ-DASH2.jpg

MJ-DASH1.jpg

MJ-DASH3.jpg

Busy weekend, so I didn't get a lot done, but I did install the Cherokee rear sound bar in my truck.  The amp is not in yet, and the speakers are installed but not hooked-up either.  I had to get it in there for fitment and to keep it out of the dirt and dust in my shop.  Fitment is ok - I need to pull it up to the headliner a bit (will do that through the dome light hole).  I am a little concerned about hitting big bumps off-road and head clearance with these seats; I hope that pulling it up a bit farther to headliner will help.  If not, I may have to look into lowering the seats a bit.  What do you all think about the look of it?  I used Cerwin Vega component mid-subs and Skar tweeters.  Will be powering with a small JBL 2 channel amp behind the console.  I have to be able to hear the music over the roar of the 35s at road speed lol!

MJ-SPEAKER2.jpg

MJ-SPEAKER3.jpg

MJ-SPEAKER4.jpg

21 minutes ago, EvilMJ said:

Busy weekend, so I didn't get a lot done, but I did install the Cherokee rear sound bar in my truck.  The amp is not in yet, and the speakers are installed but not hooked-up either.  I had to get it in there for fitment and to keep it out of the dirt and dust in my shop.  Fitment is ok - I need to pull it up to the headliner a bit (will do that through the dome light hole).  I am a little concerned about hitting big bumps off-road and head clearance with these seats; I hope that pulling it up a bit farther to headliner will help.  If not, I may have to look into lowering the seats a bit.  What do you all think about the look of it?  I used Cerwin Vega component mid-subs and Skar tweeters.  Will be powering with a small JBL 2 channel amp behind the console.  I have to be able to hear the music over the roar of the 35s at road speed lol!

I think it looks great!

Which JBL amp are you going with?  I've been taking a close look at the Kenwood KAC-M1824BT lately.  Mostly because it will let me stream tunes from my smartphone via bluetooth, while also keeping the stock head unit.  It's also small and should be easy to hide under the seat. 

6 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

I think it looks great!

Which JBL amp are you going with?  I've been taking a close look at the Kenwood KAC-M1824BT lately.  Mostly because it will let me stream tunes from my smartphone via bluetooth, while also keeping the stock head unit.  It's also small and should be easy to hide under the seat. 

I bought the  GX-A602 mainly based on size, price, and reviews.  I am not a snooty audiophile - I'm in an old loud Jeep!  I just wanted to be able to hear my music and fill in the gaps left by my door and cab speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

Not today but within the past week.

Rebuilt T.B.

O2 sensor 

CPS

Tracked down a pair tire winch

Degreased half the engine so far.

Degreased entire air intake system. 

Refreshed under hood grounds.

And vacumme lines are next.