what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

0c0ef61764f9c64ce4e2e8e5366f195d.jpg
e5bacaf377a49f72ad03ff105c4ebbc1.jpg
I was an XJ guy that one flopped and rusted away slowly. Scrapped it decided on an MJ
84c3b332aa27512da164ff0700d5b314.jpg
Picked this 91 up for a song a month ago. Changed a few sensors now it runs like a champ. Doing a garage clean up.
45c45de595b31a0c06283f765c86270a.jpg
It’s 2wd now, but I plan on fixing that at some point. Not a crazy build, more daily /overlander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the orange color, wonder why u change to pink? :confused: and it was beautful XJ now it scrap :doh:

The orange faded, and the floors and “frame” rails rusted away. The problems with living on the beech, I have since moved inland.

3 minutes ago, Blenny said:

The orange faded, and the floors and “frame” rails rusted away. The problems with living on the beech, I have since moved inland.

Oh ok it looked like u had paint change to pink lol yea it sometime it suck to live near by the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend, I...

Completed step 1 of my heater control valve un-deletion: putting the vacuum line back where it went. I stupidly tied it off inside the truck last time. Can't tell you how much of a pain in the @$$ it was to pull that back through the firewall without completely removing the dash or discharging the A/C, but I did it.

Did a few wiring repairs to bring things up to my standards, including restoring the radio connector to complete stock with the correct original contacts.

Did some more wiring harness shenanigans to remove approximately 20 feet of wire from the radio wiring harness while improving modularity. Should've done it that way to begin with.

Filled up the tank. The "full" level on the gas gauge has been steadily dropping, and now it's just over 3/4. Float has a hole in it. AGAIN. :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

Today on the way to work, I...

Lost all stereo sound about 15 minutes into a 90 minute drive. Issue behaved very similarly to thermal amplifier chip failures I've seen before. Falsely accused the original radio from kryptronic's 91 of the problem, then broke out multimeter when replacing it didn't work. Found that a dead short to ground on RF+ speaker terminal tripped radio short-protection circuit. Found spade terminal on speaker crossover rubbing on metal dash frame. Hate those damn things. Moved speaker crossover about an inch to the right, reinstating tunes.

I think we got a little "stream of consciousness" towards the end. Bed time.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, DesertRat1991 said:

Retired the D35 after 28 years of service.  Prepped, primed and painted the leaf springs.  Swapped in the D44 with 4.10s, chromos and e-locker.

20190705_125649.jpg.aca743507c1e3dd7ec667a0eaf668ebf.jpg

20190705_124920.jpg

NICE!

Moved the '89 about 50 feet to the left of where it was. It started, ran, had oil pressure, and the clock even kept time! I have a lot of parts ready to go into it soon with the goal of making it reliable as a junk truck and suitable for speeds above 40 mph. A working cooling system, a suspension that has non-fossilized rubber, and a steering linkage that doesn't have play in it are notable features.

Was going to put a new fuel level float in the '91, but it started raining after I'd finished my chores for the day. Maybe tomorrow? I need to do a few things to get it ready for the show next weekend.

• 1 month later...

The '91 has the silver valve cover I've always kinda wanted! and a bad electric fan that will hopefully get replaced before i have to drive it to work again

dFmElZbl.jpg

The '89 has a working cooling system! .... and an absolutely disgusting engine bay. Geez, that's nasty.

ZvzdP4Rl.jpg

PmhwHkCl.jpg

@Pete M made the first stop of his big trip to hang out and spend the night. Great seeing you as always Pete!

1 hour ago, 87MJTIM said:

Converted to open system today.

Guess today was "Open System Conversion" day :L:

The 2.5L bottle fits perfectly, except for getting in the way of the ballast resistor, cooling fan relay, and EGR solenoid. The EGR doesn't even work on this truck, so I've made that a problem for future me. There's enough free wire on the cooling fan relay to move it away from the bottle, and I just bypassed the ballast resistor as it was cracking apart anyway. On my truck, two piloted holes matched up perfectly with the tabs on the 2.5L bottle,  so no drilling was required - just run a screw into them to cut threads. The only thing about it that doesn't look factory is how the overflow hose has to make a 180 degree turn to face the bottle, but I'll live. The wiring harness has to be tucked under the bottle, but there is a cut-out in the bottle for it to make room.

Took my headliner out....again....Replaced the foam-back cloth in 2015. Seems that the glue between the cloth and foam fails. I was able to peel off the cloth without damaging the foam. The glue I used for the foam to the headliner shell is hold up strong. Still a bit tacky after four years. This time I will just buy some cloth and bond it to the foam.

20190902_123609.jpg

Took my headliner out....again....Replaced the foam-back cloth in 2015. Seems that the glue between the cloth and foam fails. I was able to peel off the cloth without damaging the foam. The glue I used for the foam to the headliner shell is hold up strong. Still a bit tacky after four years. This time I will just buy some cloth and bond it to the foam.
20190902_123609.jpg.2b2acc38072be92bd3dac3525c28d8fe.jpg
Use a can of 3M spray adhesive #90.
It will never happen again!