what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

Got started cleaning up the D44.  Found a trac-lock inside which is interesting because it doesn't jive with the p/n on the tag.  Tag is for a non-LSD.  Gears were in good shape. Got a coat of primer on till I can circle back.

Fairly common to see that in a YJ\TJ. Junk yard locker swap.

1 hour ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

Fairly common to see that in a YJ\TJ. Junk yard locker swap.

This. I've scored a lunchbox locker, and very questionable welded spiders before. Forget the tag, what's the actual ratio of the r&p?

MJ was basically where I left it in my intro post back in November status wise, aside from some minor electrical junk. It saw daily driving duties since then up until last Friday. Rear brakes locked up something fierce, so it's sat in the driveway all week. I've had new brakes sitting on my work bench for 4 months now, just no real time to get into it. I put a floor jack and stands under it tonight... then lost all motivation and went inside, showered and had beer instead, lol. But that'll be the Sunday morning project I reckon. I've been waiting to payoff and cancel a stupid credit card, which I did today, and I promised myself as a reward I'd source a tailgate, interior lights, and speedo cable for the MJ, so I'll be way more active on here again. :laugh::beerchug:

I got my AC working a while back. Last week I hop in, flip it over to AC, and sweat my @$$ off. I put 1 can of R134a in the system, and she's I've cold again. Yesterday, bam I'm sweating again. I put 1 can of R134a + Die in it, and it's ice cold.
Crazy party of this is that it will be ice cold. Ya drive it again the next day, and it's low enough that it won't cool. No visible leaking, and all new parts (except the evaporator).

Guess I need to get batteries for my sniffer, and UV light.

Yesterday I got the dash all back except for the radio, which is getting replaced. And I got the window tint finished. Pulled the ecm, pretty sure it is the cause of the elusive start and die immediately problem. Ballast resistor and fuel pump relay both checked good. Also ripped out the carpet. Time for a proper floor repair. The temp. pan that I threw in when I first got it has past its life. Gotta start shopping floor pans.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Code 41 is charging curcuit, nothing to do with map sensor. I've made it go away more than once by cleaning battery terminals.
You misunderstand!
Tested & Replaced the faulty MAP sensor, cleared code, truck running at idle in my shop, 2 min later I get the check engine again!
Now code 41.
Just now, battery at 11.7v, alternator only charging at 9.9v, wiggled wiring harness, alternator jumped to 14.4v. Cut off truck.
I figure it's a poor connection, clean cable ends on alternator\battery\PDC, start truck, alternator is back to 9.9v, and I can't duplicate the result of the wiggle test.

Dropped tools, closed shop, going fishing!
I refuse to have a day.

Ordered a new oil pan + gasket for the '89. Probably going to yank the pan off this weekend to see what carnage awaits.

Thought about taking the front bumper and radiator support off of the '91 to paint, but decided not to.

Replaced the ignition cylinder.  The "tabs" broke off from the cylinder a few days ago.  Also, I could not turn the cylinder to "ACC" position.  I pulled an "new" cylinder from an 87 XJ.  I took the key buzzer from the XJ and installed it in to the MJ.  Now I will be warned if I leave the keys in the ignition.

I know some people don't like the buzzer and remove it.  However, after locking my keys inside I don't want to go through that again.

my buddy has a door key to his old truck ziptied to the underside somewhere.  MJs have 2 separate keys so the door key on the underside would only give the thief the same access as a rock.  :L: 

Decided to get back at that code #41.
Finally found a test procedure got that fault code.
Found an open circuit between the ignition & ASD relay.
R&R ignition switch. $25
Continue testing, found faulty alternator circuit internally.
R&R alternator $175
Test battery I had charging during the repairs.
It failed!
Install used battery I had around the shop. $0

Finally!
She's back on the streets!