what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

Might be a market for that lol
Getting them apart is no joke!
They are glued together, and I spent about 45min with my razor knife & panel puller trying to get that one apart without busting the lense.
I'll probably end up with 5-6hr labor in the set if they can be polished.
If I had several sets I could try to fix a set, and try new lenses on a set to see how it turns out.

24 minutes ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

Getting them apart is no joke!
They are glued together, and I spent about 45min with my razor knife & panel puller trying to get that one apart without busting the lense.
I'll probably end up with 5-6hr labor in the set if they can be polished.
If I had several sets I could try to fix a set, and try new lenses on a set to see how it turns out.

Would be nice to see some new ones floating around though haha. wonder if theres any doners for this

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped out the bench seat to buckets.  I was surprised that I took the base mounts off the bench seat  and bolted them right to the seats from a 89 Cherokee.   Made me set a lot higher and added a lot of leg room for me.  I am 5'11".  I also swapped the ecu from a 89 into my 88.  it is suppose to add 8 to 10 HP .  not sure if that happened but it does seem to make it run smoother.

I have acquired an 89 Cherokee that I have demoed and I am going to use the parts to make my 2wd a 4wd.  The Cherokee had a AX15 5 sp in it so it is working.   now my next thing i need to acquire is a Dana 44 with a3.54 gears in it.  

I think I will have enough parts to start the change.  Time frame will be in January.

I am also thinking of replacing my fuse box and replace the steering column.   my question is what headaches will I see when putting in a colum with cruise control where I don't have one now.   And how do I replace the swivel in the tilt wheel.

Any suggestions on the upgrades would be appreciated.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:43 AM, Submariner said:

I also swapped the ecu from a 89 into my 88.  it is suppose to add 8 to 10 HP .  not sure if that happened but it does seem to make it run smoother.

I do believe it's 88-90 will give a boost to 87.  :dunno: but my brain sucks so I could have those numbers wrong.

tech questions should really get their own threads so more eyes will see them. :L: 

Diagnosed a bad starter and pushed it in my driveway. Yet another week down til i can buy the starter. This truck has been down for one thing or another all but 3 weeks since i bought it the first weekend in Nov..... anyone want to buy a '90 base model?

16 hours ago, 90MJ said:

Diagnosed a bad starter and pushed it in my driveway. Yet another week down til i can buy the starter. This truck has been down for one thing or another all but 3 weeks since i bought it the first weekend in Nov..... anyone want to buy a '90 base model?

tis the joys of old Jeeps.  just gotta keep your spirits up and nip away at the issues. :L:  we've all been there.

tis the joys of old Jeeps.  just gotta keep your spirits up and nip away at the issues. :L:  we've all been there.
I can attest to that.
I've got a list of repairs, or upgrades on every Jeep in the driveway.

In the past few days it's rained like there was no end. I found my new rear slider in the MJ is leaking when it rains for a few days. It's already Full***d up my new headliner!
No to mention the dam windshield is leaking even after I put an added layer of silicone.
On top of that it needs a new clutch since the PO did a $#!& job, and the slave leaks. Don't forget it needs front brakes & rotors.

Then my 03 TJ with the transmission rebuild is headed back to the shop for the 5th time, because it still won't act right!

The wife's 11 JKU has a leak on the freedom tops, and the new LED front turns are randomly not working. It needs to be regeared so that it has some balls. No more struggling on the highway.

My son's 94 YJ needs the ax5 rebuilt, a clutch, and exhaust manifold. Add a tire swing to the bumper, install lights, and

Dad's 01 TJ needs an alternator, harness repaired, PCM, complete frame, then the bumper, winch, lift, and lights installed.

I've had a small leak around the windshield, about half way up the passenger A pillar. Last week I find my headliner is wet on the driver back corner, right where it cups under the rear glass window frame.
Late Friday I pull both A pillar trim, and the drivers B pillar. It drizzled Saturday, and had been clear since!
I find the windshield leak using the water hose, and as soon as I start poking at it I realized what the Fu-- stick Di-- dumb half @$$ PO did to try and cover it up!
There's a strip of Butyl tape stuffed around the windshield. Worst part is that this @$$ hat PO couldn't every do that correctly. It was leaking past the Butyl tape!

It's got a small crack in the windshield so the up side is that it's probably big enough to replace the windshield.

Now to find my rear window leak!

So I got a new windshield after 4 hours. Windshield took 30 minutes the clean up in between the old glass and new glass took 2 hours.
the previous owner had installed the windshield with nothing but two layers of butyl tape.
The extra time it took was because they decided to close down and take lunch in the middle of my windshield I was waiting on

Found 50sqft of sound deadening & insulating 50mil adhesive mat on Amazon for $50 shipped.
Rear of the cab, tunnel, and roof are about to get quiet!
Butyl or asphalt based? After my fat mat fiasco I'll never do asphalt again. Also, if your bored look into sound deader showdown. He describes anything more than 25% coverage is a waste for what it's designed for. I ended up pulling my 100% fat mat cab and putting in some Norico 50mil and a layer on mass loaded vinyl. Helped a but I just need new tires.

0021dfa8c01da0c4272d98e6166c46ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, cody4359 said:

Butyl or asphalt based? After my fat mat fiasco I'll never do asphalt again. Also, if your bored look into sound deader showdown. He describes anything more than 25% coverage is a waste for what it's designed for. I ended up pulling my 100% fat mat cab and putting in some Norico 50mil and a layer on mass loaded vinyl. Helped a but I just need new tires.

I've fully MLVed my truck. I won't say it completely transformed the driving experience but it came damn close. I was extremely disappointed by a nearly full covering of dynamat before this.

Of course, in my experience the main issue at speed is wind noise. No sound deadening material will do anything for that.

I did the floor and rear cab. The tires only have 10k on them but they are 8 years old and I get a nasty howl around 40 mph, doesn't help I have phenomenal hearing. I end up wearing earplugs on pavement. Earlier this year when I rewired I put in a oem firewall mat and that helped my noise some more.

I thought about some closed cell foam, really dense and thick, to put in the B pillars, but that phase passed once I began soddering wires. Found today that my tcase is about dead, very pronounced resonance you can feal, so maybe my tires aren't the culprit. I did run out of fluid a.few years ago lol

0021dfa8c01da0c4272d98e6166c46ee.jpg

I'm using 50mil butyl base foil backed. I'm using more than I would if it were solely for sound deadening. The foil backed 50mil provides very good heat reduction. It's not as good as using an actual insulation, but is easier to install, and no messy fiberglass.

I did the floor and rear cab. The tires only have 10k on them but they are 8 years old and I get a nasty howl around 40 mph, doesn't help I have phenomenal hearing. I end up wearing earplugs on pavement. Earlier this year when I rewired I put in a oem firewall mat and that helped my noise some more.

I thought about some closed cell foam, really dense and thick, to put in the B pillars, but that phase passed once I began soddering wires. Found today that my tcase is about dead, very pronounced resonance you can feal, so maybe my tires aren't the culprit. I did run out of fluid a.few years ago lol

I know what ya mean.
I'm debating doing bed liner in my Rubi. 6in long arm, 35s, tummy tuck, custom shafts, regear, custom torque converter, and no carpet to avoid the messy cleanup after wheeling. Everything resonates, and the volume is unbelievable. I could use a thick coat of bed liner, and it will take quite a bit of it out.
If you look around Lowe's\Home Depot you can find Great Stuff expanding foam for doors\windows. It's not the regular Reed cans. These are green cans, and less destructive that the original. I'm going to fill my pillars, and roof line with it.