what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

Not exactly today, but in the last few weeks, restored the parking brake pedal assembly (springs+Jeep ZJ park brake switch) painted pedal arms and all new pedal bushings, installed a new clutch master cylinder and steering intermediate shaft. Oh, and replaced the glove box latch that broke and kept me from opening it... Real fun... :headpop:

39 minutes ago, OldSch88L said:

Not exactly today, but in the last few weeks, restored the parking brake pedal assembly (springs+Jeep ZJ park brake switch) painted pedal arms and all new pedal bushings, installed a new clutch master cylinder and steering intermediate shaft. Oh, and replaced the glove box latch that broke and kept me from opening it... Real fun... :headpop:

And by the way guys, don't neglect your steering intermediate shaft... It's crazy how a hair of play in the shaft will feel like lots of play on the steering wheel! It feels like a whole new truck now!!!

And on another side note, if you want to replace the intermediate shaft, do yourself a favor and don't attempt to remove the steering box to take the shaft out. A good shaft won't collapse except in an accident, and your steering box bolts will most likely be seized either because of rust or electrolysis to the spacer,and you'll be in a world of hurt. Instead, take off the lower dash (not even a dozen phillips screws), the two steering column to dash bolts, and the two column to firewall bolts. Then unplug all connectors attached to the column and take it out. Took me about 30-45 minute start to finish to replace the intermediate shaft that way.

• 2 months later...

Got a set of 1984(?) Jeep emblems (brushed finish) that were in excellent condition and proceeded to polish them:

220 grit mechanical sander to remove texture, sequential 1000, 1500, 3000 grit wet sanding then polishing with a DA polisher and Meguiar’s 105 followed by 205 compounds. Hard to get a good picture of the final result but you get the idea.

97A2780D-06FD-4FF2-B224-B6BB52B51484.jpeg

A2504288-0612-424D-8604-C2BFD54D0214.jpeg

FB6552CD-43BA-45D6-BC2F-5DBB328A8C23.jpeg

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Not today but recently recovered and installed my headliner, also added an overhead console with lights, temp and compass. Thanks to @Gjeep for the custom wiring harness and working temp/compass module.

4FEFF273-5839-4FE1-97A2-4C9877A5626E.jpeg

15C591B1-5942-42E5-B6BA-9CA1D8A8E517.jpeg

That looks excellent. Exactly what I'm going to do on my 91, except mine will be between the visors like they are on XJs. What did you do about the front bracket? Also, is that vinyl wrapped or painted?

Thanks. It’s painted SEM burgundy over a Krylon sand finish plastic paint for some texture, the panels and buttons are silver to match the Laredo dash surround and floor console. I wanted to keep the long visors so I added an aluminum 2x1/8” strip from front to back and used part of the XJ front bracket. For the rear, I added a rivetnut with the long end pointing down.

D7AF3212-204B-4648-B5B8-97A625FF8BEC.jpeg

Clearance when visors are folded up:

3FFF06B1-AD2F-4662-A6CF-63EBB2882B3E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

What year is the over head console from?

90-96 XJ. ZJs and later XJs have a similar console but the "extra" functions like MPG and distance to empty aren't supported by our ECUs.

13 minutes ago, Minuit said:

90-96 XJ. ZJs and later XJs have a similar console but the "extra" functions like MPG and distance to empty aren't supported by our ECUs.

I had a feeling but I don’t recall ever seeing such a small one. 

13 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

I don’t recall exactly but it was RENIX era.

Now I kinda want to add such to both my Jeeps. 

Not enough MJs (or XJs) came with Jeeps cordovan interior. Mikes white/ cordovan mix looks awesome in-person. And the updated replacement seats, panels, and now overhead console make it a really sharp one of a kind Comanche. Good work!

22 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Not today but recently recovered and installed my headliner, also added an overhead console with lights, temp and compass. Thanks to @Gjeep for the custom wiring harness and working temp/compass module.

Oh man, there's one of these ceiling consoles in a junkyard I found. I want to do this sooo bad. Excellent.