Post A New Picture You Took Thread!

Jeepcom23

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

On the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disney World there's this scene with a skeleton steering a ship.  it's quite dark but is occasionally illuminated a bit by a lightning effect.  I've been trying for years to get a decent pic out of it, usually by timing it with the lighting, but it never works out quite right.  not too long ago, Disney installed a "ride photo" spot just on the other side of the water that snaps a pic of your ride boat.  This last trip I somehow got it timed exactly right, but was a bit startled by the results.  Instead of providing some illumination, it looks like they turned on the lights!  :doh:  oh well, at least I now know what will happen. :laugh:

20190721_195337.jpg

On August 5, 2019 at 3:48 PM, Pete M said:

On the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disney World there's this scene with a skeleton steering a ship.  it's quite dark but is occasionally illuminated a bit by a lightning effect.  I've been trying for years to get a decent pic out of it, usually by timing it with the lighting, but it never works out quite right.  not too long ago, Disney installed a "ride photo" spot just on the other side of the water that snaps a pic of your ride boat.  This last trip I somehow got it timed exactly right, but was a bit startled by the results.  Instead of providing some illumination, it looks like they turned on the lights!  :doh:  oh well, at least I now know what will happen. :laugh:

Some cameras have "fireworks" settings that capture automatically when the scene suddenly illuminates. Might be useful in this context too?

it certainly does long exposures though.  I can't get enough of pulling images out of the pitch black darkness. :D   it's like a james bond power. 

on the first image out the hotel room we didn't even realize there was a second giraffe until I looked at the 30 second exposure. 

IMG_6620.JPG

IMG_6790.JPG

Red fox? They're adorable until they start screaming in the bushes. Makes your blood curdle.

This is a terrible photo of the visitor we had at our campsite this weekend. 

AmKOS0O.jpg

Small black bear, interesting colour pattern. He just looks blond in the photo above, but it was dark underneath, in that classic '90's bleached-tips style. 

Had to chase him out four times. He wandered in Friday night as we were setting up, just munching on berries, and I shooed him out. The next morning I'd been hearing some rustling in the bushes outside my tent. I got up and realized all the berry bushes I "watered" the night before were stripped of berries, then I found him munching on another bush up near our kitchen area, which is where I snapped that photo, of him running toward the lake when I shouted at him. I headed him off and he went up the trail out of the camp, figuring he was gone. A half hour later though as we were eating breakfast I saw a bush moving in the typical cartoonish "something's hiding behind me" way. There he was munching away on berries again. This time we teamed up and chased him far enough into the bush that we lost him. Didn't see him again that day, but this morning when I got up he was munching on berries in the site again. I gave him a solid run, heading him off every time he tried to go into the bush, about 200 yards up the trail in to the campground where it connects to the main trail, where I lost him. It was actually almost comical, because he'd run ten yards or so, turn around, look at me like "wtf dude?" and then turn and keep going when I shouted, or smacked the stick I was carrying off a tree, or whatever. 

I kinda felt bad chasing him, because it's his home, not mine, and he wasn't interested in anything other than the berry bushes from what I could tell, just going about his natural life being a bear. But we didn't want him getting curious about our tents or anything while we were gone for the day. 

But it's a good reminder to keep a clean campsite. Everything with a scent (food, water, toiletries) went up the bear poles, as it normally would, but we were extra cautious about not leaving stuff out or bringing the odd thing into our tents. 

And for the sake of posting a half decent photo, this was our destination. 

Ywkgihf.jpg

Snake Indian falls. 7km cycle into our "base camp" with the bear friend, and then 25km or so onwards to the falls, and back to camp. We road out this morning. It was my first major bike ride for a few years, and I'm definitely not in the shape I was back then, so I ended up pushing up the steeper hills (1500m total elevation gain), but all in all not too bad.

• 1 month later...

I stumbled upon the Joliet Prison yesterday.  Was not expecting it, but it turns out there's a pull-a-part junkyard across the street. :applause:  Rumor has it that you can get a tour of the place.  Might have to go back someday (with a real camera this time)

20190916_135317.jpg

20190916_130035.jpg

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

I stumbled upon the Joliet Prison yesterday.  Was not expecting it, but it turns out there's a pull-a-part junkyard across the street. :applause:  Rumor has it that you can get a tour of the place.  Might have to go back someday (with a real camera this time)

20190916_135317.jpg

20190916_130035.jpg

the blues brothers was playing the instant I hit Joliet so I was already fully thematic. :D  Or at least as thematic as I can get without a half-pack of cigarettes.  Pretty sure the durango R/T has the cop motor, cop suspension, and cop shocks.  :comanche:

• 2 weeks later...