Post A New Picture You Took Thread!

Jeepcom23

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Joe and I are dead-set novices when it comes to welding. His '66 Monterey Breezeway sedan needed exhaust baaaad, and we scored mostly factory dual exhaust and manifolds from a '66 Galaxie with the same 390 engine. BUT, the Monterey is a smidge longer than the Galaxie, so we had to weld in pipe extensions. For those of you experts who do weld, please go easy on us. Joe did the welds on the left pipe (bottom pic), I did the welds on the right pipe (top pic). What did each of us do wrong? These were done with a Lincoln TIG welder, and Joe had set the controls, so I don't have the particulars.

IMG_20211119_141200894.jpg

IMG_20211118_171542695.jpg

I wamt to start by saying I am in no way a professional welder.

My go to machine is a craftsman (Lincoln)110v mig. Looks to me like you need to increase the voltage and maybe even slow the wire speed. Doing so will help the weld "penetrate better, and not just puddle up on the surface. Get some pieces of various scrap steel and practice on a bench. Welding at odd angles and inder vehicles is not the best way to learn. Too many other factors make it difficult.

Practice is key.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FrankTheDog said:

Paint the hood matte black or a dark olive green matte.

it's a rental.  :D  but yeah, I definitely would wrap the hood if it was mine.  it was painfully bright.  not even the clip-ons over the sunglasses was enough for my eyes. 

• 1 month later...