Which Battery Operated Impact Do You Own?

We have both Rigid drills and Rigid battery impacts. They have decent power. My dad bought them probably 10ish years ago. They have a lifetime warranty. He has 3 of each. Only one has needed to go in for warranty work. 9/10 would recommend. They don’t have the power of a Milwaukee. 

since I have dewalt batteries, I got a dewalt impact.  but I got the big boy. :D  700ftlb max (and 1200 breakaway torque, whatever that is) I've learned to leave it on the middle power setting until I need high, because the silly direction switch is super easy to bump and then snap off whatever bolt you're trying to remove. :fistshake2:  she's got some power, that's for sure. :banana:  perfect for junkyards. 

DCF899B_1.jpg

For most things I use the standard Dewalt impact driver.  I bought a corded Hammerhead brand 1/2" impact back when I was building my blue truck so I could get the flexplate bolts off.  The cord is a bit of a PIA but it's gotten me through everything I've needed a big impact for so far.

All of my cordless tools are Milwaukee. No specific reason - it was the charger that I had when I first got into power tools. Almost all of my power tools are cordless. Can't stand cords. Correspondingly I have a lot of red power tools.

The main impact I use is this 3/8 12V. It's an older model but I got a ridiculous deal on it. I don't work on cars much right now but it didn't fail to impress when I did:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2454-20-Fuel-Impact-Wrench/dp/B00BYFNJ4O/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=milwaukee+m12+impact&qid=1610674541&sr=8-17

If anger is needed, this 1/2" M18 is the one I have, but I would have bought the brushless version if I could go back. These were the main impact wrench used by a company I worked for back in 2019. I've seen more than one get dropped off a 30' overhead conveyor motor side down and keep working like it was nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Electric-Tools-Wrenches-495-2663-20/dp/B0045WQRRY/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=milwaukee+m18+impact&qid=1610674811&sr=8-9

And for screw-like objects I have this too.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Electric-Tools-MLW2553-20-Impact/dp/B077ZYMK1W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=milwaukee+m12+impact+driver&qid=1610675311&sr=8-1

It's not an impact, but one day I bought two batteries and a charger for like 50 bucks and this stupid little brushed motor non-impacting screwdriver came with it. I thought it was just going to sit on a shelf forever, but it's probably most used power tool per dollar. Useful for taking things apart quickly, but especially useful for putting them back together gently.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Screwdriver-Tool-Only/dp/B00VYNEEZO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=milwaukee+m12+screwdriver&qid=1610675386&sr=8-1

4 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

We have both Rigid drills and Rigid battery impacts. They have decent power. My dad bought them probably 10ish years ago. They have a lifetime warranty. He has 3 of each. Only one has needed to go in for warranty work. 9/10 would recommend. They don’t have the power of a Milwaukee. 

Same here but I have the newer octane models. They’re pretty close to the same now

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

this is an odd topic though, as most everyone is going to buy the impact that uses the batteries that they already own.  just how it works.  :dunno:

True. But it might be useful for someone just getting started. And for those with a battery set and no available impact, cross platform battery adapters are available out there.

9 hours ago, Dzimm said:

For most things I use the standard Dewalt impact driver.  I bought a corded Hammerhead brand 1/2" impact back when I was building my blue truck so I could get the flexplate bolts off.  The cord is a bit of a PIA but it's gotten me through everything I've needed a big impact for so far.

X2 corded impacts are great and super powerful. To me, the cord is more convenient than a compressor and hose

I realize there's a spectrum of different impact guns, but I can't imagine needing more power than my particular impact.  :dunno:  I mean, I know it's possible (the guys that work on big rigs have way bigger guns), but I already have to tone it down for fear of snapping what I'm working on.  :( 

As a mechanic, Milwaukee has by far the best assortment of automotive power tools. I use most all Milwaukee M12 Fuel stuff, 3/8" stubby impact, 3/8 ratchet, 1/2" Fuel drill, etc everyday. I have all Milwaukee at the house, multitool, Sawzall, 1/4" impact, drill, etc. 

I do want to get a mid or high torque 1/2" M18 impact one of these days, but since my work is primarily driveability, electrical and HVAC, I don't have much need for it. 

13 hours ago, Pete M said:

this is an odd topic though, as most everyone is going to buy the impact that uses the batteries that they already own.  just how it works.  :dunno:

Yep.  I started with a Ryobi drill.  Now I have a dozen batteries for half a dozen or so tools.

The 1/2" impact isn't as beefy as others but it's enough for most of the time.

Just now, derf said:

Yep.  I started with a Ryobi drill.  Now I have a dozen batteries for half a dozen or so tools.

The 1/2" impact isn't as beefy as others but it's enough for most of the time.

Your 1000th post :banana: