Which Battery Operated Impact Do You Own?

Dewalt everything. I've been in construction my whole life. Even when I've had other main gigs, always did side jobs. I've owned lots of brands and really wasn't impressed with the older stuff of theirs buy I sure am now. I continue to slowly add more and more of their line. It keeps coming out faster than their site updates. I have used the 1/2" standard detent smallest max xr they make. The only beef is the detent is so good still, I'm careful not to line it up otherwise it takes a poker to switch sockets out. The only bolts it hasn't broke on an mj/xj is the front main eyes on an xj. It did the Mj just fine but to be fair I live in 13th layer of Hell from which Satan engineered rust. I've had to cut front main leaf eye bolts out to switch leaf packs pretty much every time. I also typically buy the worst heaps as well.

I have DeWalt DCF889 1/2" and DCF883 3/8" impact guns.  I bought them strictly because of the other DeWalt 20V tools, batteries and chargers I have.   I'd have to look up the torque specs but honestly I don't care.   They work great and I can't remember the last time I used my air impact guns (Snap-on and Craftsman). 

On 1/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, Pete M said:

since I have dewalt batteries, I got a dewalt impact.  but I got the big boy. :D  700ftlb max (and 1200 breakaway torque, whatever that is) I've learned to leave it on the middle power setting until I need high, because the silly direction switch is super easy to bump and then snap off whatever bolt you're trying to remove. :fistshake2:  she's got some power, that's for sure. :banana:  perfect for junkyards. 

DCF899B_1.jpg

I bought this impact after getting a look at Pete's .  Yesterday, a friend and I were changing the motor mounts in his 2004 Duramax, and snapped a 10mm (15mm wrench size) bolt on the medium setting.  It was clean with no rust, but the factory loctite was fighting us all the way out.  We did the rest by hand and the broken half came out easily after  a little heat was applied.

I also own the drill, 1/4 impact driver, 3/8 impact, and sawzall, all 20v max brushless.  And a 12v brushless 1/4 impact driver.

I also recently grabbed a HF Earthquake XT 12v ratchet.

I got the brushless 1/4" 20v impact driver around 2010 on a whim, and it ended up a game changer for me.  I consider my air tools mostly obsolete.  I've heard the good things about Milwaukee, and knowing what I know now, would go that route.  As it was, I already had the driver, then the drill (used), then fell into the sawzall for free, then saw Pete's 1/2" impact... so I'm pretty much invested in Dewalt at this point, with no regrets.

On 1/14/2021 at 4:46 PM, Pete M said:

since I have dewalt batteries, I got a dewalt impact.  but I got the big boy. :D  700ftlb max (and 1200 breakaway torque, whatever that is) I've learned to leave it on the middle power setting until I need high, because the silly direction switch is super easy to bump and then snap off whatever bolt you're trying to remove. :fistshake2:  she's got some power, that's for sure. :banana:  perfect for junkyards. 

DCF899B_1.jpg

I have this and lots of other Dewalt stuff. A friend was an engineer there and I got a hookup on pricing, so I bought Monday thousands of dollars of Dewalt tools. I have the 60V line of stuff as well. Still regret not buying more when I could. 

I have Dewalt. A drill and a 1/2 impact. I do not have the XR. I had planned to get the XR. NAPA had a sale on some Dewalt Impacts at the time. I did not check that. I checked last night, and not an XR. I feel the non-XRs are a bit weak. 

Milwaukee for me.  They had the best prices and availability here when I started getting into the tools and before I had a shop, I was getting REALLY tired of pneumatic hoses or waiting for the compressor or having to get the hoses to reach, etc.  I have the fuel impact (the one before they put in the bluetooth features) and its more powerful than the pneumatic impacts I had (I'm sure there's more powerful that others have, but no cord is nice).

Like @Pete M said, most people will stick with the battery system they have once they pick a platform.  Milwaukee has a lot of mechanics-type tools, but fewer woodworking tools than Dewalt (though the gap on both sides is closing over time).  Over time, I've started looking longingly over the fence as I do more with woodworking lately, but the cost to switch is fairly high (and only goes higher over time as I continue to add more tools to the shop).

I DO like being able to carry my big impact, my electric ratchet, and an electric chainsaw in the rig when on the trail.  Less mess, less storage needed (no need to worry about setting up an air system) and easy to carry spare batteries.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:40 PM, Pete M said:

this is an odd topic though, as most everyone is going to buy the impact that uses the batteries that they already own.  just how it works.  :dunno:

I didn't. I researched and bought the Kobalt 24V even though I'm committed with all my woodworking tools are Porter Cable 20V Li-Ion. No regrets so far with the Kobalt setup.

Milwaukee fuel over here also. I started with the impact and slowly have been adding especially when CPO has reconditioned ones. I have bought some corded dewalt woodworking stuff, but I have a Milwaukee Sawzall, drill driver, circular saw. That all came with redoing my deck.

I am kinda bummed they don't make a mower which I am sure they will eventually because I have stihls battery line also and would like to just have one system, and the stihl batteries are huge 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, Pete M said:

this is an odd topic though, as most everyone is going to buy the impact that uses the batteries that they already own.  just how it works.  :dunno:

That's why mine is a craftsman 19.2v. I got a set of drills as a gift back in the early 2000s and stuck to that battery system. It works fine for me doesn't have the power of the Milwaukee fuel we have at my work but it will get most jobs done.

12 hours ago, Parker said:

but it will get most jobs done.

I hear you on that. :L:  at no point in my history have I ever thought, "gee I wish this drill had more power" but rather it was always: the batteries finally died and there were deals on the next step up.  thankfully the manufacturers have finally more or less settled on a voltage so we can all start collecting cool tools without fear of them being tossed aside for an extra volt or 2.  :D