Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

1 minute ago, mjeff87 said:

Well, when it rains it pours I guess.  My wife went for her usual mamogram on Monday, like usual.  Doc called her yesterday and said there was an "area" of concern, so she went back in today (I took off work, screw the world, my wife is #1 priority over anything including my own self).  MRI shows 5 spots, and she scheduled a biopsy in 3 weeks.  Doc said they are all small enough that they can probably suck all of them out with the biopsy needle.  Let's hope so....:sad:

I’m sorry to hear that friend , I’m really glad you put her 1st above anything. I really wish you and her the best, I hope everything goes smooth for your wife bud , make sure to update us :crossfingers:

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

not all that surprising, I guess.  the strategy appears to have had positive results in other countries.  :dunno: 

I'm infinitely curious on the details though...

Agreed. The details will be the interesting part.

honestly I'm still confused as to where people are going that this would stop.  most everything is closed around me.  :dunno:   basically I could go get fast food (drivethough only), grab essentials from a store, or check in on family.  Certainly he's not shutting down the critical business things.  :thinking:

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

honestly I'm still confused as to where people are going that this would stop.  most everything is closed around me.  :dunno:   basically I could go get fast food (drivethough only), grab essentials from a store, or check in on family.  Certainly he's not shutting down the critical business things.  :thinking:

The problem I see is that people will see this as a "spring break" for adults and get together with friends and such.  With people not working, there is a lot more free time for fun stuff and that will continue to spread it even with everything shutdown.

8 hours ago, Manche’nopoulos said:

Anybody else getting a little uncomfortable with the governmental over reach in this deal?

:dunno:

Yes. Also, I feel like it is unconstitutional. It violates the part 1st Amendment, freedom to Assemble. 

all of the amendments have some limitations (can't yell "fire" in a theater), but there's no doubt that this will end up in the courts afterwards.  My guess is the current situation will be filed under emergency powers such as when a hurricane rolls through. 

ok, a "spring break" mentality makes sense to me.  I'm in suburbia and it's cold and rainy outside.  :laugh:  not a whole lot of party-time opportunities 'round here.

6 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Yes. Also, I feel like it is unconstitutional. It violates the part 1st Amendment, freedom to Assemble. 

Nope, no one is protesting. 

The problem is no one here took action soon enough. So it's been running rampant. It will continue to mutate and become more deadly if not put in check. This was a zoonotic virus and look at how quickly it jumped from animal to human and human to human transmission. Yes it sucks forcing people to stay inside but if those that are too ignorant to do it for the greater good wipe em out. This will overwhelm our healthcare system. So while the virus may not directly affect you, when you or one of your loved ones needs medical care and your unable to get it how's that going to affect you then?

33 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

Nope, no one is protesting. 

The problem is no one here took action soon enough. So it's been running rampant. It will continue to mutate and become more deadly if not put in check. This was a zoonotic virus and look at how quickly it jumped from animal to human and human to human transmission. Yes it sucks forcing people to stay inside but if those that are too ignorant to do it for the greater good wipe em out. This will overwhelm our healthcare system. So while the virus may not directly affect you, when you or one of your loved ones needs medical care and your unable to get it how's that going to affect you then?

Well said.   Our Federal government knew that the initial problems were travel related yet it refused to properly asses people coming in.   Suggesting that it should were met with accusations of racism.   Telling people to self isolate only goes so far when the government is powerless to enforce it.   Now that new virus cases are mostly community transmitted people are complaining that the borders weren't secured earlier.  

It's encouraging to see private industry starting to produce products that they never would have before (ventilators, hand sanitizer, masks, etc.).  There was a report of a Doctor from Eastern Ontario that figured out a way for 1 ventilator to serve 2 people with box store parts.     

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I agree, nobody is protesting, but you aren’t allowed to be in a group of greater than 10 people here in WI. 

That's because of the health concerns. I get what you are saying but two way different things. 

Here's a good little illustration about it why people need to stay home, not go out and not gather in large groups. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

277 current cases in CO and 51 in Eagle county alone. My county is about 54k full time residents. Denver has 49 cases 620k residents form 2011 censuses numbers. Our case rate has doubled since last Friday and will continue to grow very fast. This is barely the start. I would rather be proactive about trying to isolate versus continuing with the current state. Luckily, our hospital has been very proactive about it. They started prepping January but still wasn't enough time to get ready and don't really think the full scope was known and still isn't. My assumption is end of June is a realistic time frame to expect some control if aggressive counter measure are in place, otherwise fall or into next year. 

If we wanted any hope of containing this, we should've shut the country down weeks ago. That ship has sailed. We're a little less than 2 weeks behind Italy. Italy is in bad shape right now. Any containment decisions will take 10 days or more to show results. Even if we banned everyone from leaving the house right now, we'd still be seeing new cases pop up that were transmitted days ago.

I don't plan on interacting with anyone that isn't a member of my household until Friday at the earliest - and that's only because I have to for work, unless that gets shut down too. Suits me, I've got projects to do around here anyway.

The only way to get a true handle on this is to start aggressive testing of everyone and then putting anyone who tests positive into quarantine.

At some point, we're going to figure out a vaccine for this.  But with all of the anti-vaxxers out there, that's only going to put a dent in the spread instead of solving it.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
Here’s a good read, if a little data-heavy. 
There’s a lag between actual cases and the official numbers. There’s a lag between transmission and showing symptoms. Some people will be infected and transmit without showing much in the way of symptoms. 
South Korea pretty well had a handle on it until one person refused to stay home and spread it to several thousand people. Italy is running out of crematorium capacity. 
China had cities on full lockdown with far fewer official cases than many US states, and they’re only just managing to get ahead of their own curve several months later. The time to act on this pandemic was weeks ago. 
This is not government overreach. This is acting to prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths. Your freedoms only extend as far as they start interfering with the freedoms of others, and right now your freedoms are unfortunately killing people.

Hmmmm.....new guidance out is now telling everyone to NOT get tested.  Putting too much of a strain on the supply chain for PPE for the testers.  I'm gonna have to throw the bull$#!& flag on that one.

Interesting.

I might have a different perspective on this than some, I'm directly involved in the supply chain for this.  There is no shortage of assets, it's just utter lack of coordination on many different levels.

1 hour ago, gogmorgo said:

This is not government overreach. This is acting to prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths. Your freedoms only extend as far as they start interfering with the freedoms of others, and right now your freedoms are unfortunately killing people.

Here's a couple of facts-

Whatever you are being told by the MSM is total BS. 

The collateral damage being caused by the government will not be realized for months. 

What the public is being instructed to do is not realistic, blanket orders for an entire state or country will not work. 

There is more to what is happening than people realize........I've yet to come to a conclusion myself on what these orders seek to accomplish. 

My only question is- Why this one? why now? why the overreach? why the overreaction?

There are Sheeple, 80% of the masses are Sheeple. 

Sheeple are led to slaughter..........every time. 

One on one, I like people, I'm actually very personable.

However, I'm disgusted at the whole of society, I despise society, humanity, hatred is a word which accurately describes my view or feelings towards the whole of mankind. 

What is being done now is inexplicable. 

@Jeep Driver, I really don't desire to get personal and I know your vehement retort is assured but nothing you have listed there can be classified as a fact except perhaps your feelings toward the whole of mankind.

You listed the Bible as one of the books we all should read in the books to read portion of the Pub.  Might I suggest these two passages for review (just 2 among many).

1 John 4:20-21 - If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

Mark 12:31 - And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Pandemics pop up periodically and people die when they otherwise wouldn't!  Incompetent reactions, superstitious attitudes and beliefs make the problems worse which cause more deaths than might have been.  And yes, I classify paranoid conspiracy theories as superstition. 

Massive testing is necessary to find out who has the virus and to isolate them.  Unfortunately we do not have this capability due to incompetence, lack of foresight and outright denial.  The next best thing is social distancing until a cure or vaccine can be developed.  Perhaps you might enjoy a nice relaxing cruise to sooth your hatred of humanity.

My apologies to others reading my post but sometimes some things just piss me off.

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

My only question is- Why this one? why now? why the overreach? why the overreaction?

because the simplest explanation is frequently the right one, I fall back on a couple truths before I go too far down any rabbit holes.

1- most people are panicky idiots

2- people in power are not immune to being in that group

faced with a pandemic that has the appearance of being worse (or at least different) than any that the current batch of living humans remembers, you can easily get what is transpiring. 

knowledge is the only thing that can combat this and we're coming up a little short on a full understanding of the virus, how widespread it is, or what the long term damage will be.  we only know that it appears to be quite deadly to a certain group of humans.  Far as I can tell the goal is to slow it down as much as possible so that the knowledge can catch up and to not overwhelm the healthcare system.  I haven't seen anything that doesn't already happen for other disaster scenarios like hurricanes.  It's just more widespread.

The country and the world will survive this and later on there will be plenty of time for blame to be passed around to the individuals (be them foreign or domestic) that have either proven their incompetency or tried to advance their personal gain (be it money or power) from this calamity. 

I understand that people panic, which is why having a news media that actually reports FACTS and not their political opinions. 
Information dissemination and American ingenuity is what we need. Not to be place under house arrest. 
I agree some precautions are necessary but there is now talk of Martial Law. 
Security may be nice, but freedom is better. They can make all the suggestions they want and I honestly believe most of us would be happy to comply. There would be a few who don’t but that is the risk you run with a free society. It bothers me that we have all bought into an elitist attitude that some people are to stupid to trust and therefore we need a government to tell us what we can and cannot do. That’s not an American idea. That is a communist idea. Fear is being used to control WE THE PEOPLE. I think to many of us have forgotten that in America WE are in charge, not politicians. We can take care of ourselves if not forced into isolation. We should be throwing the full weight of the  American industrial machine, medical know how, and plain old elbow grease to find solutions, not hole up like a bunch of scared animals. 
My wife is a nurse and actually is caring for patients with this virus and it truly is scary and horrible. I am more concerned about the power grab happening now. 

That said, I think the best thing we can do is look out for each other. Find ways to help, volunteer, donate etc. 

We are a generous and generally willing to help nation. Let’s not get wrapped around the axle over this and lose our heads. We need each other and can’t afford to sit back on our self absorbed butts calling everyone stupid and moronic. My encouragement is protect yourself. But take care of others first. That’s what makes us different. That’s what makes us American

.:soapbox: