Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

His symptoms were the flu pretty much and his taste was wonky. He slept a couple days and was back to mostly normal. Everyone else got tested and we're negative. I just donated blood and they are antibody test for free so that could be interesting.

Ski hill’s still open. Masks are mandatory in public places and spaces, and you will usually be called out if you’re not wearing one correctly. Most stores will also insist you use their sanitizer as well which is a bit bull$#!& because a few of them have it laced with some godawful smelling moisturizer of some kind that I need to immediately scrub off my hands the second I get home. I carry around and will gladly use my own sanitizer at those places but it depends on which staff member sees you walk in the door. But you can’t really get mad at anyone for it because everyone is just doing their best to keep everyone safe with whatever ressources they have.

School opened back up province-wide at the start of the school year but closed back down again in November because cases started spiking way high. They’re currently doing a staggered spring break, with different areas doing it at different times this year so they don’t have huge surges of people at the ski hills, which are pretty much the only places open right now. Bars and restaurants were closed to sit-in dining back in December, and they’ve reopened, although you’re not allowed to sit at a table with someone from outside your household, enforced by the honour system so not at all.
Outdoor gatherings had been prohibited but they’re now allowed with a ten-person cap, so we’ve been having fires and beers with friends a few times a week in the yard, despite it having been below -20 out for all of February, sometimes pushing -40.82A87F5A-2A30-407D-94E6-5BFD2550DA41.jpeg.3f594b57aa6490862da07a6464657b97.jpeg

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Well, we are almost a year into this. How is everybody doing? What are your state/county's requirements on masks/no masks?

We are going back to school 5 days a week in person on March 22nd. Our state and county still have mask mandates, but the local PDs aren't enforcing that and most businesses aren't telling people to wear them either.

Almost? More than a year, but we may have been first. Over a year since the first death, even. Masks are required. If we are working in a group with 100% completed series vaccinations, we don't have to wear them at work. But at all times in the public. My wife works at a medium size hardware store, and they fight with non-complying customers on a daily basis. I don't get it. Why argue with someone that is making not much over minimum wage about whether or not you have to follow the rules THEY will get penalized for? No penalty for the offender, but the BUSINESS can be fined.

My boss sent me home the day after my second dose, he said I looked miserable. I could have made it through the day, but why bother. Just body aches and a headache.

4 of my employees have gotten it, none from work. They all had the loss of taste/smell, and cold/flu like symptoms, snotty nose, aches and pains, fever. The loss of taste/smell was the only universal symptom. And frankly, that is the real tragedy. My first employee to call me had just fixed a BLT, can you imagine life without being able to taste bacon?

In all of the first response agencies in my county, not a single case among responders has been traced to a work exposure. Universal masking, gloves, safety glasses and gowns where necessary was strongly enforced really early on. So, from our situation, I would say masks work. I would say, even if they are not mandatory, just wear the mask. I would feel horrible to be traced as the source of infection for someone that is vulnerable.

• 1 month later...