Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

No significant changes here in eastern WA.  There's some fires a little bit away but the smoke hasn't been bad here like it was the past several years.

The biggest thing going on right now is the discovery of the impacts of extended lockdown...particularly on mental health and, as such, the company I work for is heavily encouraging people to take PTO wherever they can and to spend some of that time relaxing.

so far so good here, I guess. :dunno:  School has started up for my nephews so that's... fun.  My sister is a grade school teacher so that's extra fun.  she's got both in-school and at-home kids so the workload has increased dramatically but I'm sure once she (and the at-home kids) gets used to it it'll be less of a hassle.  My grandma got her roommate back so at least she has someone to talk to again.  It's hard to say it, but I think her degrading mental faculties have been almost a blessing for her.  I know that other nursing home residents are going nuts with the boredom. :(   My folks have gotten pretty good at using their computers.  I mean, my mom can actually bring up a browser and search google for basic things!  She's a legit technophobe so this is a huge step forward. :L:  Our church has started up services again.  all outdoors with masks and separation of households and such.  the stores around here are instituting mask policies so my mom feels comfortable enough to venture out on her own each week.  oh and of course Dad's cancer is back again :(, but this time it's just a small nodule that they are going to zap with what's called a "gamma knife" and he'll be on a once-a-month shot that is supposed to suppress any more growth.  most importantly, no surgery this time! :banana:  the doctors are all getting into video conferencing too and so he only goes to the hospital when he gets treatment.  Mom loves this because she can now be there for the chats with the doctors where-as a little bit ago only patients were allowed into the buildings.  of course hockey and baseball are going strong so my mom is ecstatic about that.  I'm glad the teams have all found a way to make it happen, but it's still weird to hear "crowd noises" when I know there isn't a soul in the stands. :dunno:  oh and my folks went camping last week.  met up with friends from NC and just relaxed outdoors for a few days.  :cool: 

on the less positive side of things, I just got word on facebook that James DeWhitt's (an OG CC member) roommate has come down with covid, but james himself has tested negative.  He's now trying to find alternate housing for the next 2 weeks.  :(

oh, and a learned a lot about what NOT to do with growing a garden in Georgia. :doh:  starting late isn't just about fighting the heat, it's about fighting the insects that come out at this time of year too.  stupid caterpillars...  :fistshake2:

I've always wondered if adding lighting rods at the tops of a smattering of mountains and hills could reduce the number of fires started this time of year.  (note that I didn't state that would be an especially easy task).  :dunno:

Our schedule at work had been adjusted back in April so we had no more than three people in the shop on any given day, which resulted in an alternating “overlap” day, basically a paid day off every two weeks. That ended at the beginning of the month. Around the same time masks because mandatory in shared spaces at work, and we now have a municipal bylaws requiring them in public spaces were it’s not possible to distance. Seems extreme, but it’s a big tourist destination and with people coming from all over the place and failing to follow any sort of cautionary measures, locals and business owners are much happier with the bylaw. It’s made an appreciable difference in tourist behaviours.

Usually visition rates are about 40% from outside the country, but were still at normal seasonal numbers. Lots of people getting out and doing stuff “outdoors”. Crown land camping outside the park is getting a bit out of hand too. Just google “Abraham Lake” for a taste of that. 
School is starting back up for kids. I’ve got my annual 8-week session starting next week as well, although I’ve had no official word as to how much will be in-person vs online. Just keep being told to “wait for the email” and directed to the school’s propaganda about how great their safety measures will be but not what they’ll be. 

Our supposed extreme fire season they forecasted turned into a summer of rain. Snow at higher elevations. I’ve already thrown a couple snowballs this month, walked through fresh snow. 

Same old same old here.  Wife and I just got back from Florida, spent a week with our retired friends down there (again).  1400 mile round trip, but it was fun.  Drank a lot of beer, ate a lot of seafood and shot ALOT of bullets.  They have 10 acres of wooded/rural property so setting up shooting lanes was no problem 😊.  Today was my last day of vacation, and I changed the oil in the KJ and the Focus, then hit the range for a bit.  Changed my stance to open and tried a modified grip, I think I'm finally dialed in.  Some shots still a smidge low/left, but all are still effective, lol.

20200824_140247.jpg

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

I've always wondered if adding lighting rods at the tops of a smattering of mountains and hills could reduce the number of fires started this time of year.  (note that I didn't state that would be an especially easy task).  :dunno:

I won’t pretend to be an expert on lightning strikes, but I think you’d need a LOT of lightning rods to make it effective. They definitely work in the city, but buildings are very close together compared to mountains and hills. You see the odd tree from time to time that clearly was hit by lightning, but not many of them seem to stand out as obvious targets. Partway up hills and not the top, no taller than any other tree around it, that sort of thing. I can’t say I’ve seen too much evidence of lightning strikes along ridges, at mountain peaks, etc, but you’d think those would get hammered if every lightning strike for like a mile surrounding was hitting the same spot. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 6:49 PM, Pete M said:

she's going downhill unfortunately.  :(  it would seem that the covid has damaged her heart and the doc says she's not likely to recover from it.  but she's a tough ol' girl and we shall see. 

I'm sorry to hear that. Hoping the best for her.

Somehow my mom has dodged getting it even working in a long term care facility, and my sister who drives a school bus has avoided it also. My mom's health isn't great to begin with, since she's a lifelong smoker with other chronic health problems, but I'm hoping her luck holds out long enough for either the vaccines to get here or for the virus to peter out.

Personal off topic rant time, I quit smoking when the virus landed here, something I had been building up to for awhile. Didn't see what I had to gain in trying to fight off a novel virus with half dead lungs. But somewhere, in the back of my head, I always hoped that when I quit smoking, I'd physically feel better, as I've felt a bit off for a few years now. It didn't change anything, at least not yet anyways, so now I guess my only option is to actually go to a doctor and see what's actually wrong with me. And that sucks, cause I really hate doctors and I really like my lazy, hedonistic lifestyle that they're going to yell at me for :laugh:. I was really hoping I'd feel healthier without having to put any effort in.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:49 PM, Pete M said:

she's going downhill unfortunately.  :(  it would seem that the covid has damaged her heart and the doc says she's not likely to recover from it.  but she's a tough ol' girl and we shall see. 

That sucks. Hoping for the best

she didn't make it. :(   there was just no coming back from the heart damage.  but she was in good spirits on her last days! :)    I'm up in michigan for the "funeral".  we'll have a proper get together in the spring once everyone feels it's a bit safer. 

18 hours ago, Money_Pits said:

Personal off topic rant time, I quit smoking when the virus landed here, something I had been building up to for awhile. Didn't see what I had to gain in trying to fight off a novel virus with half dead lungs. But somewhere, in the back of my head, I always hoped that when I quit smoking, I'd physically feel better, as I've felt a bit off for a few years now. It didn't change anything, at least not yet anyways, so now I guess my only option is to actually go to a doctor and see what's actually wrong with me. And that sucks, cause I really hate doctors and I really like my lazy, hedonistic lifestyle that they're going to yell at me for :laugh:. I was really hoping I'd feel healthier without having to put any effort in.

yeah, those pesky docs.  always trying to remind us of what the body's actual needs  are.  :D 

25 minutes ago, Pete M said:

she didn't make it. :(   there was just no coming back from the heart damage.  but she was in good spirits on her last days! :)    I'm up in michigan for the "funeral".  we'll have a proper get together in the spring once everyone feels it's a bit safer. 

my condolences to you and your famiy

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I’m sorry to hear that.