Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

Our governor just closed all schools in VA (public and private) for the rest of the school year.

Yet, our ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) stores remain open.  For those that don't know, you can't buy hard liquor in VA without going to an ABC store......which are a state agency.

11 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Our governor just closed all schools in VA (public and private) for the rest of the school year.

Yet, our ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) stores remain open.  For those that don't know, you can't buy hard liquor in VA without going to an ABC store......which are a state agency.

Priorities or maybe you need the alcohol if you have to be with your kids 24/7.:roflmao:

1 minute ago, derf said:

City of Denver just announced a lockdown "shelter in place" like other places have.  I expect the state to follow suit shortly.

We can still go to the grocery store, etc.

Yea my county just did too. They listed all of the exceptions that you can still do, starting the list with the letter A, and ending with the letter Z. If you have a list of exceptions that is the entire alphabet long, it would have likely been easier to list the things that you can't do instead. So, pretty much, you can do all the things you would normally do here, except eat at restaurants, drink in bars, and go bowling. Never was a whole lot to do around here anyway.

Anyone seen the Muppet murder movie?  There's a scene in there about Goofer and a BJ......I can't help thinking about that watching that clip^^^^:laugh:

On a different note, so much for small businesses.  Lifeblood of our economy.  They are well and truly screwed with these "new normal" edicts being declared.  Talk about doublespeak.

3 hours ago, derf said:

City of Denver just announced a lockdown "shelter in place" like other places have.  I expect the state to follow suit shortly.

We can still go to the grocery store, etc.

Shutdown the lq and pot shops too. My buddy downvthere said people are lining up at the liquor stores. I'm already stressed enough about an impending beer shortage once this is all over. Really hope eagle county doesnt follow suit. 

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

Anyone seen the Muppet murder movie?  There's a scene in there about Goofer and a BJ......I can't help thinking about that watching that clip^^^^:laugh:

On a different note, so much for small businesses.  Lifeblood of our economy.  They are well and truly screwed with these "new normal" edicts being declared.  Talk about doublespeak.

Haha yes, freaking hilarious. 

Agreed, sucks that the ones that will suffer are small businesses. What really chaps me is big corporations asking for bailouts. Go fist yourself.....sorry don't care if your CEO making 6 figures misses hit yacht payment. Personally I think they should suffer the same fate as the rest. 

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

walmart sells beer, yes?  it sucks that the little guy is getting the shaft, but at least beer will be available, right? right? :(

One of my local supermarkets (Lidl) had Bud Light cases on sale the week before last.  I knew what was coming, and bought 4 cases.  I lived through hurricane Isabel here back in the early 2000's.....within a couple days, ANY kind of beer was universally unavailable.  If this truly becomes TEOTHWAKI, I can at least use cans of it as bartering chips.:))

I ran  to the grocery store this morning to do the weekly shopping I usually do on Sunday morning.  About 2 dozen people lined up to get in.  They had some TP and, more important to me, paper towels on the shelves.  Limit one package per customer.  Everything else in the store is "Limit 2 like items".  I had 3 six packs of soda but they were all a different brand and that was OK.  So some "common sense" limits going to to keep the panicky hoarders from going nuts.

Some of the shelves are still empty. There isn't much pasta at all, and the soup aisle was nearly empty.  But the fresh food seemed to be well stocked.  I ended up grabbing a deal on buy one get one free pork chops and some chicken so I'm good for a while.

There are rumors going around here that beer distributors are shutting down.  Some convenience stores (if they are still open) are hearing they are not getting any more orders shipped to them after what orders they have in already are delivered.  Dun dun DUN......

Hearing more and more about people I know getting laid off or furloughed.

More than anything else, I think a lot of people are about to be in for a harsh lesson in the importance of a 6-month emergency fund.

• 3 weeks later...

this is hitting too close to home.  My grandma's nursing home (only 1/4 mile from where I sit) just made the news with 7 deaths and a bunch of positives.  as far as we can tell it's "isolated" to a different wing, but details are sketchy and the State has stepped in to figure out what the hell has happened.  My family is livid that no one gave us a call about this.  :furious2: So much for thinking she might be safe in a "locked-down" facility.  :(