Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

5 hours ago, Dzimm said:

^^thats crazy.  What does a gun shop do when they sell out of firearms in a day or two?  They can't get more in that quickly.

In California there is 10 day waiting period before you can take possession of a firearm, so they have that lead time to get more.

44 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

In California there is 10 day waiting period before you can take possession of a firearm, so they have that lead time to get more.

Even with a carry permit??  Another reason I don't live in Cali.

19 hours ago, CoastChief said:

F3780AE8-A3EC-49BC-A3C0-F106276EB074.jpeg

Until I saw this, it did not occur to me that a large health issue would stimulate the purchase of guns. I understood when people bought guns after the lawlessness that followed Katrina. I was in contact today with an associate, in a New England state with strict gun control laws, who owns a firing range and gun sales business. I asked about the carona virus and the gun range. He said sales were up and they had trouble with keeping up inventory.

My state is putting a stop to, basically, all gatherings.  All gatherings over 50 people are prohibited and under 50 people are allowed only if certain criteria for public health and social distancing are met.

https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-media/inslee-statement-statewide-shutdown-restaurants-bars-and-limits-size-gatherings-expanded

I feel for the waiters and waitresses who rely on tips.  While I think there's a fund for them, getting access to that fund is going to make their lives significantly harder for a while.

Work sent out an email suggesting we work from home.  I'll be doing that since I have a risk factor for complications.

I'll probably go all week without talking to anyone face to face.  It's a good thing I'm already somewhat of a hermit as it is.

5 hours ago, CoastChief said:

The economic part of this is what we should all also be paying attention too

Agreed. The economy is going to tank even more in the next few months because the hoarders won’t need to buy anything else. 

We have a case now in my county of residence and work.  It's arrived at small town, Indiana USA.

I'm working, but nearly the only person in the building.  I'm the Facilities Manager and the rest of the folks here are office admin types.  They've been coming in throughout the morning and grabbing their laptops and working from home.

We have a homeless Vets transitional housing program attached to our building and apparently, we have a concern that one of the guys has had a cough for a week or so.  I think a staff there is getting him to a doc this morning for testing.  I'm bracing for the results.

My A&P school is on Spring Break this week, and looks like they're adding another couple of weeks on to that.  The FAA runs the program really--the local college just kinda hosts it.  But as of this moment, we're still awaiting FAA to give the school some guidance on how they want to proceed.  Exclusive on-line coursework won't cut it in this program.  FAA mandates a lot of practical exercises that have us students crawling around on the aircraft.  Spring break means I can finally get more than 5 hours of sleep per night so I am certainly loving that.  Work full-time and school full-time is essentially like pulling doubles day after day.

TOILET PAPER:  Ha!  I'm married to a Filipina.  I'm exempt from the terrible stress involved in seeking out and acquiring large, hording supplies of TP.  Got my trusty Kabo (or Tabo in tagalog), so I'm set.  Additionally, my home toilet has a wand-type bidet and that's how we roll.  The Filipino people don't excel in much compared to the technologies and other advances of the West, but they do have the cleanest bottoms of anyone in the world.  Over here, we're the ones in the personal hygiene stone age. 

Like TP, jasmine rice supplies are low and that ain't good if you're an Asian.  My wife is petrified our home supplies will dwindle before we start seeing it on the shelves again.  Rice is second only to breathing in her mind.

I can't say exactly what it is I do for work, but I am intimately involved in PPE distribution (state and Fed) right now, and it's downright bananas.  I've got many, many sleepless days and nights (like yesterday) ahead of me here.  Last time like this was for hurricane Isabel in 2002 (ice and water distribution across the state), and I slept in my office for 2 weeks.  Yay me.

Picked up an extra 500 rounds of 9mm yesterday, for the handgun I no longer own:laugh:  Wife and I are good on .22lr, 5.56, .40 and 12 gauge, but none of those are concealable and work well with my CCW.  I've got 30 gallons of fuel for the backup-backup generator (main one is natural gas fed, but you never know what might happen).  3 tanks of LP for the (gas) grill, and 120 lbs of lump charcoal.  I prep water and TP on the regular, so I'm good there.  5 dozen of farm eggs in the fridge, a chest freezer and 2 conventional freezers full of meat and assorted goodies, 3 rolls of Copenhagen, and Lidl has Bud Light cases on sale right now for $14, so I bought 4 of them (warm).  We're pretty much GTG here, lol.

9 hours ago, CoastChief said:

The economic part of this is what we should all also be paying attention too

This will be very interesting to see play out. Obviously, a ton of people are out of work right now and will only compound in the coming weeks. While I don't believe it is the governments responsibility to "support" anyone through this I do think there needs to be something that eliminates certain expenses or bills without negative repercussions. I.E delayed mortgage payments, debt forgiveness up to X amount and some other things. I'm fortunate enough to work in the field that never shuts down, healthcare, even on the admin side, but living in a resort community I feel for those that are reliant on the mountain being open to make their living.  

I work for a surgical ENT practice.  All elective surgery has been postponed in every facility where my boss has privileges.

That's three local hospitals and two outpatient surgery centers.   The latter are essentially closed as day surgery is elective.

I'm not trying to inject any politics into this, but........I'm not down with any of this.  At all.

https://summit.news/2020/03/16/illinois-mayor-grants-herself-power-to-ban-guns-during-coronavirus-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR3FYqx_-4m9GcaKzrYC0sZSdn28PJ9APb_qgHNM03vezcOD8aHXB_ZI9oU

Illinois mayor signed an executive order giving herself the power to order the seizure of firearms, ammunition, alcohol and gasoline during the coronavirus pandemic.  The executive order also enables the government to “take possession of private property” and cut off an individual’s access to gas, water or electricity.

The city promised to “keep the public’s best interest in mind” while also handing itself the power to shut down all liquor stores and bars, although Gov. J.B. Pritzker has already ordered the shut down of all bars and schools across Illinois until March 30.

This was just released for the San Francisco Bay Area in California:

"The directive begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and involves San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda counties — a combined population of more than 6.7 million. It is to stay in place until at least April 7. Three other Bay Area counties — Sonoma, Solano and Napa — were not immediately included. All non-essential gatherings of any size are now banned, along with non-essential travel “on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit.” People may travel for shopping for necessary supplies, accessing health care, and providing aid to family and friends who need assistance, and for non-residents, returning to their home outside the Bay Area. Airports, taxis, and public transit — including BART — will remain operational, but only for essential travel and people are expected to keep six feet apart when possible. Everyone is to work from home, or stop working, unless they provide an essential service, which includes health care workers; police, fire and other emergency responders; and utility providers such as electricians, plumbers, and sanitation workers. Grocery stores and pharmacies will remain open, and restaurants may stay open to provide takeout food only. Also staying open: veterinary services, gas stations and auto repair shops, hardware and other home supply stores, banks and laundry services. Businesses that remain open are encouraged to keep both employees and customers six feet apart, including while standing in line. But there are no specific limitations on the number of people allowed inside. Daycare centers may stay open, but children must be kept in groups no larger than 12, and they must stay with the same group of children every day."

I'm in Solano County, so I can still go to work.:laugh:

55 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

I'm not trying to inject any politics into this, but........I'm not down with any of this.  At all.

https://summit.news/2020/03/16/illinois-mayor-grants-herself-power-to-ban-guns-during-coronavirus-pandemic/?fbclid=IwAR3FYqx_-4m9GcaKzrYC0sZSdn28PJ9APb_qgHNM03vezcOD8aHXB_ZI9oU

Illinois mayor signed an executive order giving herself the power to order the seizure of firearms, ammunition, alcohol and gasoline during the coronavirus pandemic.  The executive order also enables the government to “take possession of private property” and cut off an individual’s access to gas, water or electricity.

The city promised to “keep the public’s best interest in mind” while also handing itself the power to shut down all liquor stores and bars, although Gov. J.B. Pritzker has already ordered the shut down of all bars and schools across Illinois until March 30.

Might I suggest doing a little more investigation into this story from sources not slanted so far to one direction?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-champaign-emergency-guns-alcohol-sales-20200314-x36zrgm5pfhf5a4z5q22bjiv6q-story.html

An emergency declaration was made.  It opened up things already outlined in city ordinances that existed long before this happened.

The executive order did not specifically outline new powers to grab guns, etc.

It seems to me that they have this all or nothing emergency capability that goes way over the top when activated.  But just because they enacted the provisions doesn't mean they're coming after anyone.  The ordinances certainly need to be fixed, no question.  But there's no indication anyone is marching jackbooted thugs down the street to come get anyone's guns.

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

I can't imagine this will actually be used in any way but it is Illinois so who knows.  But this kind of thing is why I was stocking up on food and Ammunition instead of freakin toilet paper.

I'm not saying any of those things will be enacted...and I really hope they won't.  It's just the fact that those things exist to begin with, and somebody on a trip was just able to declare them valid via executive fiat.  Very disconcerting.

And it's not all about the guns, either.

My brother’s wedding reception was cancelled. The ceremony is still happening, but they’re asking people who need to fly not to come. I think only my sister and parents are still planning to attend.

I was told today by work that I’m an essential service so they weren’t going to let me get onto an airplane and come back without quarantine, and they don’t want to risk running short on staff so they can’t let me do that.

Schools in Alberta have been closed for the rest of the school year, and locally most public facilities have been shut down as well.

I also picked up another Jethro sized bag of dry cat food for our (inside) cats, and 2 extra 12-packs of wet food cans for the outside/stray tabby that has adopted us.  Can't let the kitties starve ya know.  They need to live long enough to be able to eat us when we both get the virus and turn into zombies.

We've also got a National Guard unit being deployed here to my work starting tomorrow, to both provide security and also to augment our operations team.  Same thing that happened back with Isabel....it's gonna be a total charlie foxtrot.