Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

So Amazon just announced they are hiring 100,000 warehouse people to meet the surge in demand.

They're also changing how they manage their warehouses.  For any "non-essential" items, they aren't going to restock stuff from 3rd party sellers once it runs out.  They are going to focus on supplying "essential" goods.  i.e. medical supplies, grocery, TP, etc.  The article did say that 3rd party sellers can ship directly to customers rather than being "fulfilled by amazon".  So you should still be able to get everything through amazon that you could before.  It just may ship from somewhere else and take longer to get to you if it's not an "essential" item. 

Perfect example of how rumors can spread like wildfire:  I was standing in line at my local grocery store yesterday (I needed limes for my mojitos, lol.....there were plenty of them there.  A guy in front of me getting checked out told the cashier that he just heard that all the Walmarts in the country were closing starting this Friday.  Not closing early, like they did the other day, for cleaning and restocking, but CLOSING.  He tells cashier, cashier yells to her buddy cashier in the next lane that WM was closing, she shouts it to the store manager half way across the store.  Meanwhile, the 7000 other customers in line with me all hear this and start yelling to each other, and a semi-panic ensues.  I just smiled, paid for my limes and left.

People are dumb, panicky animals.

With the plummeting fuel prices and everyone staying home, the supply chain is actually in fantastic shape.  It's cheaper to send stuff via train and truck.  And the roads are a lot less clogged so the trucks get through easier.  We should be in pretty good shape, logistics wise.

1 hour ago, derf said:

People are dumb, panicky animals.

With the plummeting fuel prices and everyone staying home, the supply chain is actually in fantastic shape.  It's cheaper to send stuff via train and truck.  And the roads are a lot less clogged so the trucks get through easier.  We should be in pretty good shape, logistics wise.

On some commodities, yes, but others are drying up fast.  Mostly due to panic buying, but we're starting to get contract defaults from some of our vendors due raw material shortages and worse let, labor shortages.  I'm curious to see how deep it goes so we can get all of our (unknkown) shortfalls exposed for future planning purposes.  Once this whole thing is over and things get back to as normal as they can.

It's been interesting watching some folks in my organization (upper management types above me) who have been coasting right along for years now having to deal with crises, and they are folding like a wet paper towel. 

46 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

You pay for limes? They grow on trees out here. :laugh:

Shipping to 23831?  :D

I like my mojitos with ALOT of fresh lime, and mint.  I grow mint, but not limes....

25 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

On some commodities, yes, but others are drying up fast.  Mostly due to panic buying, but we're starting to get contract defaults from some of our vendors due raw material shortages and worse let, labor shortages.  I'm curious to see how deep it goes so we can get all of our (unknkown) shortfalls exposed for future planning purposes.  Once this whole thing is over and things get back to as normal as they can.

It's been interesting watching some folks in my organization (upper management types above me) who have been coasting right along for years now having to deal with crises, and they are folding like a wet paper towel. 

I can see how materials and finished goods may become scarce.  But the logistics to move what is available to be moved should be in good shape.  And that's something.

Looks like Easter Jeep Safari is about to shut down.  There's a ban going into effect on out-of-town visitors congregating in large numbers, including hotels and campgrounds.  So no one will have any place to stay.

4 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Shipping to 23831?  :D

I like my mojitos with ALOT of fresh lime, and mint.  I grow mint, but not limes....

I like my mojitos with ALOT of rum.

What's your favorite rum for mojitos?

(Just trying to keep it up-beat)

I hear some truckers are having a tougher time getting fed on the road because sales are being limited to drive-thrus. Food places need to figure a work around for this. Keeping truckers healthy and fed should be a priority. It is unreal the number of trucks it takes to keep everything up and running. 

13 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

I like my mojitos with ALOT of rum.

What's your favorite rum for mojitos?

(Just trying to keep it up-beat)

Ten Cane, from Trinidad

Havana Club (anejo) for traditional

Parrot Bay for a coconut version (my personal favorite):beerchug:

Yours?

That's a new one to me, I've never traveled anywhere but Costa Rica in C/A.  Looks yummy.

I watched 2 grown @$$ women darn near throw down on each other this morning at the grocery store.  I stopped in on my way to work around 7:30AM to grab a newspaper and some saltines and did a quick float past the meat aisle.  Stripped bare, as suspected, except for 5 packs of frozen smoked turkey wings.  Woman #1 grabbed ALL 5 of them and threw them in her cart, while the other one was looking at them.  Loud exchange of words that brought out the meat manager from the back.  He ended up splitting them 2 each to each of them and took the last pack with him back into the cutting room.  Bravo for him.  I was headed to the popcorn aisle to grab a bag and settle in to watch the WWF match about to ensue:laugh:

On 3/14/2020 at 3:02 AM, Eagle said:

Considering that I'm 76 years old, 

Dang Eagle, I always thought you were like 906 years old.. (Yoda's age) 😂🤣🤣

I'm just kidding ya... 

I haven't talked to you guys in a while, just been lurking.. wrecked my MJ, but still have a few XJs around. 

All this talk about this virus in NY made me think about Wildman. Anyone heard from, or talked to, or know anything about my ol buddy??? 

Here in NC sounds about like everywhere else. I work at the BMW plant and we're gonna keep trucking until we run out of parts, then we're just gonna do preventive maintenance. I'm sure the production associates will be off, but us Tech's are gonna try to keep at it. I'm not worried about about getting it as much as me passing it on to my parents or other older family members. 

As for all these fools on social media saying it's the government tryna keep us on martial law are just some f'n idiots.. heard someone say that it's Trump trying to rig the election.. 🙄

I bet those are the ones hording the tp and diapers.. 🙄

Well rant over and it's good to see you all still keeping the dream alive.. 

Anybody heard from Wildman?

JT.

The last time I heard from Bob was about 10 years ago....he was driving south thru my area and we met up at a truckstop to exchange some parts.  If anyone hears anything from or about him, let us know....

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

The last time I heard from Bob was about 10 years ago....he was driving south thru my area and we met up at a truckstop to exchange some parts.  If anyone hears anything from or about him, let us know....

Yeah that must have been the same time he was making his way here too. Last I heard his box truck had broken down.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

On 3/18/2020 at 1:29 PM, mjeff87 said:

can't find a phone number but I have a possibly super-old email: bewild2@roadrunner.com

4 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

If someone sent to your phone...........

Download to phone. 

Upload file here. 

Or up load to youtube then post link.

After trying every which of way to get it to load and work, I got a CC message  of the types of files that will work.  It is a .3gp that is for phones but will not work  on CC.  

Can email be sent to someone's CC email from an email outside of CC?

Mine just shut down all public offices and told all non-critical personnel that we're not authorized to go into the office at all, unless specifically for a critical operations issue.  (Not that it affects me much...working from home for the past few weeks has been great).

Well, when it rains it pours I guess.  My wife went for her usual mamogram on Monday, like usual.  Doc called her yesterday and said there was an "area" of concern, so she went back in today (I took off work, screw the world, my wife is #1 priority over anything including my own self).  MRI shows 5 spots, and she scheduled a biopsy in 3 weeks.  Doc said they are all small enough that they can probably suck all of them out with the biopsy needle.  Let's hope so....:sad: