Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

"beyond repair"?  "starving to death"?  good use of Hyperbole.  but doesn't make it true.  even through the great Depression people got food.  Americans are kind and Americans are innovative.  We'll see this through. 

My father had his columbarium meeting with church council via one of the vid chat programs.  it was hard for him to figure out but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  in the end it was a productive meeting and he even learned a thing about technology.  :type:  Tomorrow's service will be via internet too. 

I keep hearing from friends that either they are making more money than before, or enjoying being able to work from home in their PJs, or they are super enthused that they have some time to hang with their kids.  :D  Not everyone is that happy of course, but even the self-employed ones are finding ways to make ends meet. 

17 minutes ago, Pete M said:

beyond repair"?  "starving to death"?  good use of Hyperbole.

You realize the entire airline industry will be bankrupt by May, worldwide, right?

No, I meant precisely what I said. 

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

And this ain't the 1930s. 

Image result for years of the great depression

and?  not the first time the airlines have suffered yet we still have planes flying.  I never said that there isn't a struggle coming.  I said that it's not the end of the world.  sorry, but I don't have your level of pessimism. 

now if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to have a couple beers, play some vid games for a while and then maybe watch Frozen 2.  Doing my part.  :L: 

4 hours ago, Manche’nopoulos said:

Not when people are not allowed to work, run businesses, or have a meeting of 10 people or more (such as a brainstorming session, conference etc.)

Ever hear of teleconferencing? Skype?

I've been avoiding getting sucked into predictions about the aftermath of this, but one thing I expect (although I won't call it a "prediction") is that a lot of people and companies are going to have upped their game on telecommuting and teleconferencing, and the American workplace will look a lot different in six months or a year than it did before the SHTF.

36 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Ever hear of teleconferencing? Skype?

I've been avoiding getting sucked into predictions about the aftermath of this, but one thing I expect (although I won't call it a "prediction") is that a lot of people and companies are going to have upped their game on telecommuting and teleconferencing, and the American workplace will look a lot different in six months or a year than it did before the SHTF.

That would be great. Maybe we’ll find out everyone is actually more productive working from home :dunno:

Certainly there will be good that comes out of this as well as the bad.

The business I work in has seen a 40% drop n revenue over the last two weeks. Even if it "comes back" it really won't. We will have 25% less people working. One reason is most business were not very efficient. They had lived in a booming economy, cost controls weren't as good as they could be. The slackers will not be coming back. 8% unemployment if we are lucky. At some point we won't have the economic strength to deal with this. And what will happen when the next one hits and it will. This is no 4 in the last 10 years. We as a society cannot destroy our future ability to respond by destroying our way of life. This is war, I hate to say it but people die in war, yes let's do what we can to minimize casualties but war is hell and so is this.

10 minutes ago, Limeyjeeper said:

The business I work in has seen a 40% drop n revenue over the last two weeks. Even if it "comes back" it really won't. We will have 25% less people working. One reason is most business were not very efficient. They had lived in a booming economy, cost controls weren't as good as they could be. The slackers will not be coming back. 8% unemployment if we are lucky. At some point we won't have the economic strength to deal with this. And what will happen when the next one hits and it will. This is no 4 in the last 10 years. We as a society cannot destroy our future ability to respond by destroying our way of life. This is war, I hate to say it but people die in war, yes let's do what we can to minimize casualties but war is hell and so is this.

I knew you were a smart man. 

I still haven't seen a single thing that hasn't occurred before in previous disaster areas, it's just on a grander scale because this fight is on a grander scale.  They are expecting a LOT of sick people in the coming weeks.  War is hell.  and we are at war with a pathogen. 

I cannot change anything that is occurring so I choose to be optimistic and have faith in the country to eventually bounce back.  Everyone is free to choose any other emotion as they deem fit.  I've spent 18 and 3/4 years now fighting my illness and it took years to train my brain to focus on the silver linings of life rather  than the struggle that was my daily existence.  I see no reason to stop now.  

now if you'll excuse me, My uncle dropped off a six pack and I'm going to crack open a beer and watch some youtube vids about fun sciency things  :nutherround: 

I still haven't seen a single thing that hasn't occurred before in previous disaster areas, it's just on a grander scale because this fight is on a grander scale.  They are expecting a LOT of sick people in the coming weeks.  War is hell.  and we are at war with a pathogen. 

I cannot change anything that is occurring so I choose to be optimistic and have faith in the country to eventually bounce back.  Everyone is free to choose any other emotion as they deem fit.  I've spent 18 and 3/4 years now fighting my illness and it took years to train my brain to focus on the silver linings of life rather  than the struggle that was my daily existence.  I see no reason to stop now.  

now if you'll excuse me, My uncle dropped off a six pack and I'm going to crack open a beer and watch some youtube vids about fun sciency things  :nutherround: 

Not videos about Jeep things?!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

Pete has it right.

If you can’t change a thing or its outcome, why worry about it?

The Feds are discussing a bailout, up to and possibly beyond $3T.

They are destroying the dollar. Intentionally, in my view.

Two weeks ago you could have bought a loaf of bread for $2.00

Today you cannot buy a loaf of bread.

Tomorrow a loaf of bread will cost you $6.00

What you are witnessing is -human madness- in action. 

There is plenty you could have done and can do, more on that later.

Because we do live in a republic with checks and balances I think there are things we can do. What I am saying is that we need to check our government. We need to use all legal resources available to do so.

Particularly if this thing drags on for months as they’re saying.

Edited by Manche’nopoulos
Typo

7 hours ago, FrankTheDog said:

Pete has it right.

If you can’t change a thing or its outcome, why worry about it?

Exactly.

Do what you can to stay prepared.  Anticipate contingencies.  Roll with what actually happens as best as you can.  Ignore the doom and gloom from "news" sites about what might happen.  Life is much happier.

45 minutes ago, Pete M said:

enough of the conspiracy theories.  If someone has some verifiable news they'd like to share about current events, please do so. 

otherwise, knock it off. 

:L::L::L::L::L:

What is everyone so afraid of?  That you will be inconvenienced and have to stay home?   That you will get behind on your bills?   You resent someone telling you what to do?  Why look to the worst side of everything?   Although I was not around in WWII, I doubt people complained about rationing and wanted to overthrow the government.  The economy will tank, but it will recover.   A million people will die but 7 billion will live on.  Those that get the virus and live, will create resistance to the Corona virus in future generations.  Life will go on, but maybe not for you and for me.   Patriots don't complain about that.

Some good news on the subject from Johns Hopkins University.

Apparently blood plasma from recovered patients helps to treat people currently infected.  The antibodies in the plasma helps to fight the disease and teach the body of the person infected to make their own faster.  This has a lot of promise as a treatment until we can find a good vaccination.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/13/covid-19-antibody-sera-arturo-casadevall/

3 hours ago, derf said:

Some good news on the subject from Johns Hopkins University.

Apparently blood plasma from recovered patients helps to treat people currently infected.  The antibodies in the plasma helps to fight the disease and teach the body of the person infected to make their own faster.  This has a lot of promise as a treatment until we can find a good vaccination.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/13/covid-19-antibody-sera-arturo-casadevall/

I had heard some discussion on trying this a few weeks ago from a chemist friend. The reason, for those wondering, on why it isn't a more common practice is, in general, because of a higher cost/lower effectiveness vs an established vaccine (and that it isn't a long term solution like most vaccines). However, without an established vaccine, it works as a high cost, low risk option to hopefully save lives. One of the reasons it is considered high cost is not just because of the expense of doing it, but because of the relatively limited amount of blood donations they will get, and the logistics of them getting the even more limited serum to places where it can be best applied. So if anyone here gets and recovers from covid 19, keep your ears open for further updates on this. It can be a relatively effortless way you may be able to help your fellow citizens if it turns out to be option that works.