Elephant in the room.

ftpiercecracker1

Well it was bound to happen with my job. I got diagnosed with it a few days ago. Got half my crew. And the best part is, I'm in Canada. I was delivering a new unit from NYC to Detroit. We think one of the 17 pilots we had to use in the St Lawrence Seaway gave it to us. Possibly the sets we used between Quebec City and Montreal. By order of the Provincial govt of Ontario my entire crew was removed from the vessel and quarantined in a lovely Motel 6 for the next 2 weeks. The Mate got really sick really fast but is ok now. Deckhand has shown zero symptoms. I've shown none til today. Started coughing and got body aches. Below is our daily checkup by Canadian Paramedics. They are from the govt and are here to help.8021030104e3eb0f0346a16ab4dae6d7.jpg

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Took a mental health day last Wednesday, drove down to Suffolk to help a buddy wrench on an XJ (one of his son's freinds, not his POV).  Kid was hanging around and helping out a bit as we un-screwed his poor XJ from what the PO had done to it).  Afterwards hit the deck for a few beers and some conversation.....kid disappears.  About 2 hours later, he calls my buddy from the front yard (????).  He's afraid to come up on the deck to talk to us.  Seems he hadn't been feeling well for the last couple days, so he decided to go to the hospital to get a COVID test.  Results pending in 24-48 hours.  Yay us/me.  He couldn't have told us that before the wrench session.  So I go home, tell the wife and she freaks out....as I expected.  Go to work the next day, tell the boss the story, he says call HR and ask them what to do.  Several hundred e-mails later, I get sent home from work for the day.  HR says wait until he gets the results.  If negative, I can come back to the office.  If positive, I need to go get tested and, regardless of MY results, I have to stay out of the office for 2 weeks (I can telework, but it royally sucks).  Teleworked Friday, my buddy calls late that afternoon to say the kid tested negative.  Yay.  Now I'm back in the office, but I had a sore throat yesterday and generally feel like crap.  No fever, thankfully, so I think I just caught a cold or the flu or something.

Here in central KY its really starting to to take off.  We have 10 people in hospital now in a county of ~17,000 and a couple hundred supposedly quarantining.  My good friend and neighbor died in late Feb from covid, and one of my best friends - good health, 62, type-A blood, died in March.  2 of my workers got it, but both recovered.  I know many people who have gotten it, including my neice, and a few who have died.  

My wife is a nurse, but she has been working very little PRN and she is type-O, so she has been good so far as has her supervisor who is also type-O.  Still have plenty of MAGA hat wearing, gun totin' rednecks that feel the need to not wear a mask and be safe and clean, but then again, that's a redneck and apparently they are everywhere.    Our nursing homes went through a bad wave early on, and now another wave has started.  My 90 grandmother is in a memory care center in Bowling Green, she was diagnosed last week.  In less than a week, over 60 patients have it and number is climbing...  fun times.

I sincerely hope everyone is being safe and doing their best to protect themselves and everyone around them!

I have been working at home about 70% of the time and its okay. I'm so happy my work crew hasn't gotten it. My boss was out from January to April with neck cancer. He came back way too early and the anxiety of him getting it was rough on the crew. He started putting some weight back on but I am sure it would still be pretty rough on him. 

I got my flu shot the other day, first time ever. I don’t really get sick much, but figure it might help keep me and maybe a few others around me out of quarantine. And to tell the truth, the needle jab sucks a lot less than a swab shoved up the nose.

When I got tested back in September they told me negative results take longer to come back because they rerun the test a few times to reduce the likelihood of false negatives. Supposedly positive results came back in 12-24 hours, but I got my negative result in after a couple days. Oddly though my roommate who got tested the afternoon before I did got his negative result the morning after I did.

Completed 10 days of quarantine on Saturday and the govt of Canada let me come home yesterday. What a fiasco that was. 3 flights, 2 airlines and flew west to fly east. I could've rented a car and drove home faster. Spent 2 afternoons feeling about 85% and that was about it. My Deckhand never showed any symptoms. Canadian govt now says I'm immune for at least 4 months and no longer contagious. One bright spot to it, I got paid to sit in a hotel for 10 days. Since 5 of them was past my normal work schedule i got time and half for them. Did learn one thing, Canada fees the heck out of Uber eats. A 20 dollar meal would cost 30 plus tip. And free delivery.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

• 2 weeks later...

Neighbors father has it and I learned that another neighbors entire family had it (mother, father, two daughters) all recovered. Mother had worst experience. Out of commission for better part of a month.

The mother lost her mother to covid. Client of mine knows two people that died from covid as well.

Parents just got test results back the other day, both negative. They live a pretty secluded life so I'm not to worried about them.

My wife tested positive last Friday. She is pretty sick. I've already had it and I'm immune but they say I can carry it to others. So she is quarantined for 10 days and I've had to quarantine with her for a second time in a month. I was supposed to go back out to sea yesterday, but I gotta stay home til next week. Got paid the last time I was quarantined since I was at sea when I tested positive. This time I was on my time off so I'm not getting paid.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

• 3 months later...

Well, we are almost a year into this. How is everybody doing? What are your state/county's requirements on masks/no masks?

We are going back to school 5 days a week in person on March 22nd. Our state and county still have mask mandates, but the local PDs aren't enforcing that and most businesses aren't telling people to wear them either.

my pop just got his second shot the other day and my mom gets hers later this week. :banana:

I'd say a 90% mask rate at the stores I frequent (having one, not necessarily wearing it properly).  Most of the big chain stores won't let you in without one, but after that no one seems to care.  but I'm not at the stores very often so it's a tiny sample size.

School is mostly back in session around here.  Masks aren't mandatory for the kids but I'm told most wear them.  Teachers all wear them. 

a dude got arrested at Disney Springs (the free shopping center on property near parks) yesterday for unlawful trespass after he circumvented the temp-checks somehow and then refused to leave after they caught up with him at the stores.  not sure what it is with certain people when they think property rights just aren't a thing. :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

my pop just got his second shot the other day and my mom gets hers later this week. :banana:

I'd say a 90% mask rate at the stores I frequent (having one, not necessarily wearing it properly).  Most of the big chain stores won't let you in without one, but after that no one seems to care.  but I'm not at the stores very often so it's a tiny sample size.

School is mostly back in session around here.  Masks aren't mandatory for the kids but I'm told most wear them.  Teachers all wear them. 

That all sounds great! I'm happy to hear that things are becoming similar to how they were last year. Masks are required at my school. 

That's great that your dad got both shots and your mom is getting her second soon. My boss and his wife (78 and 76) have received both of their shots. One of my grandmothers (75) has one of hers. Neither of my great-grandparents (both in their 90s) and my other grandmother (55) have gotten any of theirs yet. We are struggling to get them out up here.

My wife (works in the VA hospital with spinal cord injury patients) has had both of her shots already.  Second one nearly put her down for the day, but she survived and to date hasn't started growing any new appendages out of her forehead.  I got to spend 2 weeks out of work thanks to my HR department, though.  I was shooting with a buddy of mine at the range all afternoon one Saturday, then Sunday night he texts me saying he's Covid positive.:crazy:  My boss and HR kept me out of work for 14 days, some of which I teleworked (more like checked my e-mail every couple of hours) or just took leave days for entirely.  Didn't get sick at all.  My buddy had a couple rough days with fever and general malaise, but nothing too serious.  Most of the kids around here have started back in-person in some capacity, but still not back to a regular 5-day schedule.  Our governor announced reduced restrictions starting on Monday next week, some are freaking out.  It's a crap show all around, in general.

Iowa is currently mask free. A few business have signs up still but not enforced. Kids are still required to wear a mask to school. They have gone full school all year. My oldest tested positive but no one else in the house got it.