The Comanche name

Classy Comanche

I know the name came from a tribe of Indians. But I saw a thing online where people are getting upset over the name. They were calling it offensive??? There's a video on Instagram about it. I even had a guy one day tell me the name is "wrong" and in a way makes fun of them.....I don't know what to say except that it's ridiculous. It's a cool truck with a cool name that is reliable and super fun to drive. Yall ever hears such a thing?

I suppose it depends on your point of view.  If you had some painted sheet metal that was named after you for others to go tearing through the mud with, you might have mixed feelings about it.  A sister named her dog after me.  How was I to process that?   Although I am not American Indian, I have recently moved to a town on an Indian reservation and look forward to seeing what life has to offer in Montana. 

Ethnocentrism.  "evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one's own cultures."

But a lot of what is going on strikes me as repainting history. 

Ain't life grand.

Oh boy....the P.C. world is gonna start harassing MJ owners. Beat them with brains and kindly inform them it pays respect to the tribe. If it wasnt for Jeep, songs and other media use of tribe names, the names would be lost to time. You look up Comanche and I am pretty sure you will find the nation and the name of a horse from the mid 1800's. Then what? Its not like the educational system teaches us these native nations and a specific horse. Any who I see it as respect and homage to the nation, same for the XJ. 

Yes. And it’s not wrong. 
Imagine if someone with no connection to you had taken your name and used it to help sell things that have nothing to do with you. Now imagine that someone was part of a group of people who pushed you out of your ancestral home and destroyed nearly everything your people had ever built, directly or indirectly killed your family, and tried to erase your culture.  I wouldn’t be too happy with those people either.

Some will argue it’s honouring the name and culture, but that’s not really for us to decide. 
I’m not indigenous and can’t speak for anyone who is. Some care more than others, some don’t care at all. To my knowledge no one is out there demanding badges be peeled off. But it’s not AMC’s name to use and they shouldn’t have used it, treating the name of a proud nation and history like an inanimate object. The Cherokee nation has repeatedly asked Jeep’s parent company to quit using the Cherokee brand, and every single time they’ve refused. Jeep isn’t currently selling much if anything under the Comanche name right now, but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be eliciting the same response from the proper owners of the name. 
It’s hard to think something could really be an honour if the people you say you’re honouring repeatedly ask you to stop, and you don’t.

Yeah I know the history about what happened to them, I remember learning about that in HS and was like "hey that's the name of my grandfather's jeep!" But I understand both sides and such, I've just never heard tell or been approached about the name. I really didn't even speak back to the fella because I was just so shocked and caught off guard trying to process everything when I simply went to a pizza place to get takeout pizza. I think of it like a tribute/homage. I just didn't know the name upset someone on a 30+ year old truck. 

10 hours ago, jpnjake said:

My favorite is the Comanche Eliminator, that name wouldn’t make it off the ground nowadays :laugh:

I've generally found people incorrectly identify my Comanche as a "Jeep Eliminator," they don't even see the Comanche name.  Very few people know what the truck is.  That said, anyone that ever connected the dots on the Comanche Eliminator name usually has a good chuckle and agrees that the name would never fly today.

@Classy Comanche ... Person had no business getting in your face about a badge on a 30 year old truck.  

I understand the argument, but the cancel culture is wrong.  Yes, the story is tragic, but so is human history.  We should learn from it.

Meanwhile, I bet I can tell what bumper stickers were on their Prius as they drove away. 

Yeah they really gave me no time to react. I just stood there silent in disbelief trying to figure out what in the world is going on when I stopped off for some pizza. I do agree it was tragic. And funnily enough the guy was driving a Honda fit. Close to a prius. It was almost like they were trying to guilt trip me because I owned a vehicle named after a tribe the barely/doesn't exist anymore. Had they rather the Comanche trucks be crushed and forgotten? To me that would be a bigger disgrace than anything because then your truly getting rid of a name that needs to be remembered 

This reminds me of a certain NFL team that had to change the name because a minority of Native Americans (First Nations) people were offended.

The original use of the name was descriptive, not a pejorative.  People from Europe were describe as White Men.  Native Americans' skin was red. 

The team took the name not from Native Americans, but from the Boston Tea Party.  The colonials' dressed up as Indians and dumped the tea in the harbor.  The team started in Boston and were first named the Braves (like the baseball team, now in Atlanta).  For reasons I forgot, the owner changed it to the R word.

The emblem/logo was drawn by a Native American Indian.

Surveys of NA people over the years found that most people were either in favor of the name (and other sports teams' names) or were indifferent.  A minority - depending on the survey - was less than 20% were "offended" by the name.  Richard Nixon once referred the first group as the silent majority.

The use of Indian name as mascots or Jeep vehicles was never intended as pejorative.  Who would ever root for a team or drive a vehicle with that type of name.  (See why the Chevy Nova didn't sell well in Spanish speaking countries.)

If we have to eliminate Native American names from our lexicon, then we have change the name of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, North and South Dakota, and Oklahoma, to name just a few.  Additionally, many cities need to change names: Indianapolis, Cheyenne, and many towns in Mass.

When will this PC "stuff" end?

(I am done on my soap box.)

15 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Yes. And it’s not wrong. 
Imagine if someone with no connection to you had taken your name and used it to help sell things that have nothing to do with you. Now imagine that someone was part of a group of people who pushed you out of your ancestral home and destroyed nearly everything your people had ever built, directly or indirectly killed your family, and tried to erase your culture.  I wouldn’t be too happy with those people either.

Some will argue it’s honouring the name and culture, but that’s not really for us to decide. 
I’m not indigenous and can’t speak for anyone who is. Some care more than others, some don’t care at all. To my knowledge no one is out there demanding badges be peeled off. But it’s not AMC’s name to use and they shouldn’t have used it, treating the name of a proud nation and history like an inanimate object. The Cherokee nation has repeatedly asked Jeep’s parent company to quit using the Cherokee brand, and every single time they’ve refused. Jeep isn’t currently selling much if anything under the Comanche name right now, but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be eliciting the same response from the proper owners of the name. 
It’s hard to think something could really be an honour if the people you say you’re honouring repeatedly ask you to stop, and you don’t.

There are all kinds of things that take the name "American" and I have never been offended by it. 

The Comanche name wasn't something that originated from them, it came from other tribes who were at war with them roughly translated to "those who we fight all the time". The Comanches were pushed to the Rockies by the Apache early before the American expansion west, but then became the dominant tribe because of the horse migration brought about by the Spanish bringing horses to the region and the Comanches mastery of the Mustang. They then devastated the Apache with Spanish help. The Comanche were a nomadic tribe who subsisted mainly on the Buffalo, so they didn't have a lot to destroy, or lands to take that they didn't take in the first place.

The whole western guilt idea of indigenous culture is a nuanced topic that isnt fully discussed. 

6 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

@Classy Comanche ... Person had no business getting in your face about a badge on a 30 year old truck.  

I understand the argument, but the cancel culture is wrong.  Yes, the story is tragic, but so is human history.  We should learn from it.

Meanwhile, I bet I can tell what bumper stickers were on their Prius as they drove away. 

Ouch, I drive a Prius.

Not cause I'm "pious" but because I don't like to $pend money on gas (I'm cheap) to drive 40 miles a day to and from work.

Plus, I'd rather save that cash for ole Jeepy or my 69 Mach 1 mustang or 2015 Sliverado, those vehicles are way more fun to drive, trust.

Regarding the cancel culture comment, I agree it's wrong. Wrong on both ends of the spectrum, on the left they want to ban anyone who made a mistake, on the right they want to cancel anything that makes them think about the actions of their forefathers in a negative light.

Both extremes are wrong, but they are important.

America is somewhere in the middle.

We all need to be respectful of each other's ideals, but we don't have to like or agree with them and neither side should get to impose "MY WAY OR THE HIGH WAY" on another. "Don't tread on me" and all that you know? it swings both directions, so I find it funny when I see right wingers flying that flag as they "crush dems", they are missing the point. DON'T IMPOSE YOUR METHODAOLGY ON ME, LEAVE ME BE

We all need to remain open minded and remember that we all live in this country together. We will certainly have differences of opinions but that should make us stronger because we keep each other in check and encourage us to find common ground that we can agree on and live with.

Look at all of us. We have a common passion, our money pit Jeeps. I've bought parts from some of you that clearly are on the different side of the political spectrum than I am, but hey my Money is green, and we want to help each other out, so we all benefit. What would happen if we all had to declare our political stance before joining this forum or to buy or sell parts to each other, it would suck, that's what.

Back OT

I left my Comanche emblems in the drawer in my garage because I am not sure if I want, or don't want to make some kind of political statement, so I leave them off. as they were when I drove my MJ out of the bushes.

I was not aware of the Comanche history, that was an interesting read, but I am still not going to tread on another person's heritage "just because I can" or "because look at their history" it just doesn't sit well with me. Run em on your rig, that's your choice, I'm not here to change you mind.

Like I said these are my beliefs, take them or leave them.

I hope we can all agree that we have different viewpoints (political and otherwise) and carry-on being Jeep/MJ/Comanche owners and aficionados because in this forum, that's what unites us.

16 minutes ago, Big_Mark said:

Ouch, I drive a Prius.

Not cause I'm "pious" but because I don't like to $pend money on gas (I'm cheap) to drive 40 miles a day to and from work.

Plus, I'd rather save that cash for ole Jeepy or my 69 Mach 1 mustang or 2015 Sliverado, those vehicles are way more fun to drive, trust.

Regarding the cancel culture comment, I agree it's wrong. Wrong on both ends of the spectrum, on the left they want to ban anyone who made a mistake, on the right they want to cancel anything that makes them think about the actions of their forefathers in a negative light.

Both extremes are wrong, but they are important.

America is somewhere in the middle.

We all need to be respectful of each other's ideals, but we don't have to like or agree with them and neither side should get to impose "MY WAY OR THE HIGH WAY" on another. "Don't tread on me" and all that you know? it swings both directions, so I find it funny when I see right wingers flying that flag as they "crush dems", they are missing the point. DON'T IMPOSE YOUR METHODAOLGY ON ME, LEAVE ME BE

We all need to remain open minded and remember that we all live in this country together. We will certainly have differences of opinions but that should make us stronger because we keep each other in check and encourage us to find common ground that we can agree on and live with.

Look at all of us. We have a common passion, our money pit Jeeps. I've bought parts from some of you that clearly are on the different side of the political spectrum than I am, but hey my Money is green, and we want to help each other out, so we all benefit. What would happen if we all had to declare our political stance before joining this forum or to buy or sell parts to each other, it would suck, that's what.

Back OT

I left my Comanche emblems in the drawer in my garage because I am not sure if I want, or don't want to make some kind of political statement, so I leave them off. as they were when I drove my MJ out of the bushes.

I was not aware of the Comanche history, that was an interesting read, but I am still not going to tread on another person's heritage "just because I can" or "because look at their history" it just doesn't sit well with me. Run em on your rig, that's your choice, I'm not here to change you mind.

Like I said these are my beliefs, take them or leave them.

I hope we can all agree that we have different viewpoints (political and otherwise) and carry-on being Jeep/MJ/Comanche owners and aficionados because in this forum, that's what unites us.

Well said......

9 hours ago, Car Enthusiast said:

There are all kinds of things that take the name "American" and I have never been offended by it.  

But you don’t get to speak for anyone else. That’s the point. It’s someone else’s name. No one it doesn’t belong to should be using it to make a buck, and that’s all that’s happening here. 
It’s a thing that was done, no one is trying to peel badges off or rewrite history. But it’s good to acknowledge it’s a thing that should not have been done, and moving forward we need to be more respectful of other cultures. 

If someone actually wants to learn something about the Comanches read "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne.  It was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize.  Fascinating read!  It should also be noted that the Comanche nation has its own constitution.  BTW, America is actually a continent, two in fact, north and south.  It could be construed that everyone living on them are American.  Not just citizens of the United States (of America).   

17 hours ago, Car Enthusiast said:

The Comanche name wasn't something that originated from them, it came from other tribes who were at war with them roughly translated to "those who we fight all the time". The Comanches were pushed to the Rockies by the Apache early before the American expansion west, but then became the dominant tribe because of the horse migration brought about by the Spanish bringing horses to the region and the Comanches mastery of the Mustang. They then devastated the Apache with Spanish help. The Comanche were a nomadic tribe who subsisted mainly on the Buffalo, so they didn't have a lot to destroy, or lands to take that they didn't take in the first place.

The whole western guilt idea of indigenous culture is a nuanced topic that isnt fully discussed. 

I think you have this backwards. The Comanche were the dominant Plains Tribe or Nation. They defeated the Apache and pushed them off the plains. If you look at the land mass the Comanche controlled, they were an Empire. Apache means "Them' or 'Others' . Sort of like Auslanders in German or foreigners.  

I'm in the same town as ClassyComanche the original poster. I've never run into people like that lambasting me for something not in my control. I'm a bit scarier looking than classy though so maybe that's why nobody talks to me. 👹 This whole thing with the Native American names being used comes up about once every 5-10 years or so. It's usually brought up by Caucasians too, trying to virtue signal, and not by the tribes themselves. When these vehicles were named by the corporations, we weren't worried about weather or not it was exploitative, or offensive. It was a different time then. Those of us with no skin in the game profit wise, just think of it as paying tribute to those names. Should the corporations maybe give something back to the tribes for use of the names? It would look good on them if they did. Jeep has used the Cherokee name since the 1970's, and GM was using the Apache name in the '50's, with Comanche  name being used for 7 years. Not to mention aircraft used by the military and civilians. At this point, what is done is done, and Karen's shouldn't bother others about things they have no control over. 

42 minutes ago, dasbulliwagen said:

I'm in the same town as ClassyComanche the original poster. I've never run into people like that lambasting me for something not in my control. I'm a bit scarier looking than classy though so maybe that's why nobody talks to me. 👹 This whole thing with the Native American names being used comes up about once every 5-10 years or so. It's usually brought up by Caucasians too, trying to virtue signal, and not by the tribes themselves. When these vehicles were named by the corporations, we weren't worried about weather or not it was exploitative, or offensive. It was a different time then. Those of us with no skin in the game profit wise, just think of it as paying tribute to those names. Should the corporations maybe give something back to the tribes for use of the names? It would look good on them if they did. Jeep has used the Cherokee name since the 1970's, and GM was using the Apache name in the '50's, with Comanche  name being used for 7 years. Not to mention aircraft used by the military and civilians. At this point, what is done is done, and Karen's shouldn't bother others about things they have no control over. 

Amen

Haha yeah this is true. That's probably another reason why anything was said to me. I'm only 22. I'm not so mean looking lol. Probably looked like some stupid kid driving his grandads truck. People nowadays will make up a problem if there ain't one. I bought the jeep because it was/is a dying jeep name and I loved it since I was a toddler. Everything unfortunately somehow turns political these days. I just like to cruise down the with the window down and radio up:cool:

I'm 1/8 Cherokee, 1/8 African (mom's side), but the 75% western European remainder pretty much makes the 25% invisible. I like cars from all manufacturers and all people from the One manufacturer. So I got this to go on my front plate bracket as an acknowledgement of the people whose name the MJ bears.

IMG_6768.JPG.84c528a3e4728eb8e1317dc9c51fc1b8.JPG