The Comanche name

Classy Comanche

• 2 weeks later...

My love of the truck made me want to know about the origin of its name, which then made me want to know about the Comanche tribe, and eventually other native tribes too. I now think Native American history is something that should be thought in school, both in the USA and Canada, including the horrible things the settlers did to the natives, to put history back in perspective.... Our ancesters weren't exactly all angels and heroes, and it's important to see history on more than one side...

On 6/15/2023 at 11:31 PM, gogmorgo said:

But you don’t get to speak for anyone else. That’s the point. It’s someone else’s name. No one it doesn’t belong to should be using it to make a buck, and that’s all that’s happening here. 
It’s a thing that was done, no one is trying to peel badges off or rewrite history. But it’s good to acknowledge it’s a thing that should not have been done, and moving forward we need to be more respectful of other cultures. 

I agree with you, but in the other direction. A group of people do not get to speak for all indigenous people throughout history. Some groups like it and some don't, just because I am white doesn't mean I get to speak for all European descended people. Its a silly concept and the only reason it is listened to is because some people feel guilty for the past and what someone with the same melanin content as them did to someone with a different melanin content. Especially without looking at the entirety of that past. It isn't honest to act like Indians didn't also steal land from other groups. It happened all the time that one tribe would sell the land of another tribe without the permission to do so, and maybe the Europeans and Americans used that against the Indians, but it was a brutal time that we can't really compare to our morality now.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:09 AM, 75sv1 said:

I think you have this backwards. The Comanche were the dominant Plains Tribe or Nation. They defeated the Apache and pushed them off the plains. If you look at the land mass the Comanche controlled, they were an Empire. Apache means "Them' or 'Others' . Sort of like Auslanders in German or foreigners.  

No, I meant before they controlled the plains. There was a time when the Apache dominated the Comanche, but with the introduction of horses and their migration north into the plains that gave an advantage to the Comanche and their nomadic lifestyle compared to the Apache who did more farming and weren't as mobile as the Comanche.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:25 PM, Car Enthusiast said:

No, I meant before they controlled the plains. There was a time when the Apache dominated the Comanche, but with the introduction of horses and their migration north into the plains that gave an advantage to the Comanche and their nomadic lifestyle compared to the Apache who did more farming and weren't as mobile as the Comanche.

I think they gained the horses after they were forced off the plains. I think the Apache were 'migrant' farmers. That they travelled plot to plot to harvest food. That gave the Comanche an advantage, in that they knew where the Apache would be. Info of this can be cloudy though. 

On 7/4/2023 at 3:22 PM, Car Enthusiast said:

I agree with you, but in the other direction. A group of people do not get to speak for all indigenous people throughout history. Some groups like it and some don't, just because I am white doesn't mean I get to speak for all European descended people. Its a silly concept and the only reason it is listened to is because some people feel guilty for the past and what someone with the same melanin content as them did to someone with a different melanin content. Especially without looking at the entirety of that past. It isn't honest to act like Indians didn't also steal land from other groups. It happened all the time that one tribe would sell the land of another tribe without the permission to do so, and maybe the Europeans and Americans used that against the Indians, but it was a brutal time that we can't really compare to our morality now.

I haven’t met a single indigenous person who was okay with their culture being appropriated, or a reference to someone who was okay with it. All you’re doing is making excuses to defend poor behaviour. 
The team at AMC that chose the Comanche name may or may not have known better. We have a bit of a history of suppressing and ignoring indigenous voices. But we do know better today and we should be able to acknowledge the mistakes of the past, whether we were part of making them or not.

Jumping on someone for driving a vehicle that was given a name it shouldn’t have been given over a decade before they were born is incredibly unfair.  

On 7/13/2023 at 11:34 PM, gogmorgo said:

I haven’t met a single indigenous person who was okay with their culture being appropriated, or a reference to someone who was okay with it. All you’re doing is making excuses to defend poor behaviour. 
The team at AMC that chose the Comanche name may or may not have known better. We have a bit of a history of suppressing and ignoring indigenous voices. But we do know better today and we should be able to acknowledge the mistakes of the past, whether we were part of making them or not.

Jumping on someone for driving a vehicle that was given a name it shouldn’t have been given over a decade before they were born is incredibly unfair.  

Well that is quite the white take on that! Bro you are driving a vehicle you think was named in a appropriating manner and then say "that was in the past, so I can still do it". Talk about making excuses, that's some cognitive dissonance for sure. 

Hearing people talk about the plight of indigenous people is so patronizing. Because anyone who tries to guilt others about it will absolutely not do anything in their power to make things right, which you can't in the first place. 

Yeah I'm only 22 and my jeep is 35 years old. So I was speechless when approached about it. Still makes me scratch my head from time to time thinking on it. That thing was rolling off the assembly line way before my time. I just happened to like the truck since I was kid and bought it. I still guess to this day that guy thought because of the name I didn't care about them? I really don't know. I feel people artificially manufacture issues about something that really doesn't concern them. Who knows! 

6 hours ago, Classy Comanche said:

Yeah I'm only 22 and my jeep is 35 years old. So I was speechless when approached about it.

Don't sweat it kid.  If you are aware of the past you won't repeat it.  Make good choices.

You will encounter people who have an agenda.   

• 5 weeks later...