CC cookbook

jdog

What some of your favorite recipes, with this virus I have found myself cooking more as I now have the time, so CC what are your favorite recipes?

I'll start:

Irish Nachos

1 bag of kettle chips

bacon

cheese

green onion

sour cream

tomatoes

guacamole

throw chip on a pan, sprinkle with cheese, cooked bacon and anything else you want on it

put in oven at 350 degrees till cheese is melted

remove from oven, add remaining ingredients and enjoy

Smoked ribs on a charcoal grille 

rub with famous Dave’s rib rub

get charcoal going on one side and a pan of water and the ribs on other side. Regulate heat at 250. Flip every 30 mins, for 4 hrs. Then put bbq sauce on cook another 30 min. Pull off and maybe share with others.

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Please elaborate!

Quite simple for a delicious meal but tough to make.

You need chicken thighs(preferably but breasts will suffice)as they are easier to cook and work with.

about four eggs and frosted flakes Grounded up to almost powder like but still want some chunks and if you want to you can add some powder sugar or spices to make the chicken sweeter or spicy.

First fill a good size pan with some vegetable oil and warm up using a mid level setting on the stove

Put the frosted flakes in a big Ziploc bag

Ground the frosted flakes up using a rolling pin then put flakes into a container big enough to hold the flakes and chicken that won't spill over with mixing movement.

Cut up you chicken thighs into either strips or nuggets of your choice.

Crack your eggs into a bowl and stir them up until blended

Put chicken into eggs(ironic)

Then take the chicken that is in the egg and do one piece at a time and bread them with the frosted flakes.(To be less messy if cooking them by yourself, use one hand to bread the chicken and use tongs while the other grabs the chicken out of the yolk and puts it into the frosted flake) Be careful not let any yolk get into the flakes as they will be soft and harder to get to adhere to the chicken

Then your oil should be warm enough to put your chicken in and cook. Watch for oil splashes!

Make sure your chicken isn't pink on the inside and they are golden to your liking and enjoy!

I think that's everything. If I forget something I will add it but I make these enough to where I got it down to a science. Also it helps to clear the pan of the old flakes and produces less smoke. Make sure the kitchen is well ventilated.

22 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Quite simple for a delicious meal but tough to make.

You need chicken thighs(preferably but breasts will suffice)as they are easier to cook and work with.

about four eggs and frosted flakes Grounded up to almost powder like but still want some chunks and if you want to you can add some powder sugar or spices to make the chicken sweeter or spicy.

First fill a good size pan with some vegetable oil and warm up using level 5 setting on stove

Put the frosted flakes in a big Ziploc bag

Ground the frosted flakes up using a rolling pin then put flakes into a container big enough to hold the flakes and chicken that won't spill over with mixing movement.

Cut up you chicken thighs into either strips or nuggets of your choice.

Crack your eggs into a bowl and stir them up until blended

Put chicken into eggs(ironic)

Then take the chicken that is in the egg and do one piece at a time and bread them with the frosted flakes.(To be less messy if cooking them by yourself, use one hand to bread the chicken and use tongs while the other grabs the chicken out of the yolk and puts it into the frosted flake) Be careful not let any yolk get into the flakes as they will be soft and harder to get to adhere to the chicken

Then your oil should be warm enough to put your chicken in and cook. Watch for oil splashes!

Make sure your chicken isn't pink on the inside and they are golden to your liking and enjoy!

I think that's everything. If I forget something I will add it but I make these enough to where I got it down to a science. Also it helps to clear the pan of the old flakes and produces less smoke. Make sure the kitchen is well ventilated.

I’m going to need to try this. Thanks. 

Cause I’m currently making it now, pea soup from the cookbook my mom uses. Comfort food.

EDFF3E2D-796D-4835-A25A-4326D93DE1DF.png.4adb2800ad2d35799f518e989b967835.png
I love older cookbooks, will have to try this when the stores start getting stocked again

Smoked ribs on a charcoal grille 

rub with famous Dave’s rib rub
get charcoal going on one side and a pan of water and the ribs on other side. Regulate heat at 250. Flip every 30 mins, for 4 hrs. Then put bbq sauce on cook another 30 min. Pull off and maybe share with others.
Was going to do ribs, will have to do em this way

14 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I’m going to need to try this. Thanks. 

No problem. I should clarify don't fill the pan entirely with oil, just enough to where it covers half of the chicken.

9 minutes ago, jdog said:

corn flake chicken

Corn flakes huh? Different. My girl said she maid Cheez It chicken once, doesn't sound appetizing but she swears it is good.

These are a huge hit at any party (after social distancing is lifted, of course.)

Jalapenos cut in half, stuffed with pimento cheese, wrapped in bacon, dusted with brown sugar, hickory smoked for an hour at 250, then broiled a bit to crisp the bacon some.

They're finger licking good. 711f8b4cc994732c1357efedbe923e81.jpg

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

First fill a good size pan with some vegetable oil and warm up using level 5 setting on stove

What's "level 5" on your stove? My range is electric. Level 5 isn't "warm it up level," level 5 for me is full power, if you let the water boil out the pot melts hot.

23 minutes ago, Eagle said:

What's "level 5" on your stove? My range is electric. Level 5 isn't "warm it up level," level 5 for me is full power, if you let the water boil out the pot melts hot.

Highest my range goes it is "HI" or 9. So if yours is a 1-5 then a good middle level on the dial will suffice. Grew up with a range that was low-High and always thought all others were like that.

Highest my range goes it is "HI" or 9. So if yours is a 1-5 then a good middle level on the dial will suffice. Grew up with a range that was low-High and always thought all others were like that.
Might edit your post to say that

11 minutes ago, jdog said:
18 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Might edit your post to say that

Done:L:

I actually really like to cook and if I can try to make as much from scratch as possible. Takes a lot longer but healthier and delicious. 

Here's one of my favs. Something you should do a day before to marinate the steak but can do it with a 30 minute marinate too.

Cuban steak with avocado rive and pineapple chimichurri.   

Chimichurri ingredients 

• 1 1/4 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 cup diced pineapple
  • 1 Fresno chile pepper, seeded + chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • juice of 1 lime
  • kosher salt and pepper

In a bowl, combine the pineapple, cilantro, fresno pepper, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice. Keep stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.

Cuban steak ingredients 

• 2 pounds skirt steak, thinly sliced cut against the grain super important.
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced or grated
  • 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 dried bay leaves
  • juice from 2 limes
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper
  • 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup green olives
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • steamed riced, for serving

In a large ziplock bag, combine the steak, olive oil, garlic, oregano, cumin, bay leaves, lime juice, salt and pepper. Seal the bag and toss well to combine. Place in the fridge overnight. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the steak and cook 5-8 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat and stir in the olives. To serve, divide the rice among bowls and top with steak, chimichurri and avocado. enjoy!

34 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

I actually really like to cook and if I can try to make as much from scratch as possible. Takes a lot longer but healthier and delicious. 

Here's one of my favs. Something you should do a day before to marinate the steak but can do it with a 30 minute marinate too.

Cuban steak with avocado rive and pineapple chimichurri.   

Looks awesome.  As I read it, I wondered if you have tried it with venison.  Deer in particular.

Living alone and working full time, I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking (and especially cleaning afterwords).  I tend to look for simple things to prepare without a lot of effort and fewer dishes to clean.

My typical evening meal is some kind of meat on the foreman grill with some warmed up veggies and maybe a biscuit in the toaster oven.  Pillsbury Grands come in a bag in the freezer section so I can pop in one or two at a time.  Once you get the timing for the foreman grill figured out, it's easy to cook chicken breast or thighs, pork chops, and steak the way you like.  Add the seasoning or sauce of your choosing.  Marinating the meat ahead of time is always an option.  I like chicken breast marinated in Italian Dressing.  Dry rub on pork chops is pretty good too.

For lunch at work I like to try and stay healthy.  So I'll do a bagged salad, split into separate Gladware containers.  I'll cook up some cubed chicken and maybe add some diced ham.  I also throw in some other things I like on a salad.  But if you're looking for somewhat healthy lunches without a lot of prep, that's one way to go.  Ingredients are basically whatever kind of salad and add-ons you like.  Everyone is different there.

Another simple lunch I like to do is my low carb chicken "stir fry".  It's another quick and easy dish to prepare and makes enough to have for lunch at work for a week or so.

* 3 good size chicken breasts, cubed or cut into strips.  Pork chops (1.5-2 pounds) work as well.  I haven't done beef or shrimp with this but it would probably work.

* One bag frozen vegetables.  I like peas and carrots mix, but you could use broccoli, peas (without carrots), or whatever suits you.  Fresh vegetables would work too.  Pea pods are good if you want to do fresh.

* 1 cup peanuts.  I use dry roasted, salted.  Low salt and unsalted would work as well.

* 1/2 cup soy sauce (more or less, I don't actually measure)

Optional ingredients:

* Bean sprouts - 1 can (or equivalent fresh)

* Water chestnuts - 1 can (or equivalent fresh)

* Bamboo shoots - 1 can (or equivalent fresh)

Pre-heat some sesame oil in a pan on medium-high heat.

Add meat to the pan.  Stir frequently until fully seared.

Remove meat from the pan and drain.

Add frozen veggies and peanuts. Stir frequently for 1-2 minutes.

Return meat to the pan.

Reduce heat to medium low.

Pour on soy sauce and add optional ingredients.

Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Reduce heat as needed.

Unlike traditional stir fry, there is no thickening agent (i.e. starch in water).  Keeps the carb count lower but there's no "sauce" to hold things together.

You could serve this over rice but that would kill the low carb nature of this dish.

I end up splitting this into even portions in Gladware containers.  After it cools down a bit I toss the containers in the fridge and just grab one in the morning on my way to work.  Toss it in the microwave in the break room for a minute and a half and I have lunch that's better than junk food by far.

Meat Loaf (I grew up on this)
2 lbs:  Hamburger
1 cup:  Milk
1 cup:  Bread crumbs (fine)
1/4 cup: Ketchup
2 ea:  Eggs
2 teaspoons: Salt
3/4: Diced Onion
Mix well and Bake:  350° for 1 hour

48 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Meat Loaf (I grew up on this)
2 lbs:  Hamburger
1 cup:  Milk
1 cup:  Bread crumbs (fine)
1/4 cup: Ketchup
2 ea:  Eggs
2 teaspoons: Salt
3/4: Diced Onion
Mix well and Bake:  350° for 1 hour

Add one ingredient.

6 strips bacon (4 if thick cut bacon), cut into 1/8" to1/4" strips (i.e. uncooked bacon bits).

You'll thank me.

3 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Looks awesome.  As I read it, I wondered if you have tried it with venison.  Deer in particular.

I have not but could be interesting. Just have to be really careful to not over cook the meat.