Tool Talk

Jeep Driver

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20201208_173421727.jpg.bf3ce5cdfad166911eb16bea730d9caf.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2B1TBP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_l3a0FbX1ZZGEW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So far I have cut off 2 lower quarter panels outer and inner, a few large chunks of the rear floor, cut out a chunk of rocker inner & outer, trimmed the new panel to fit. It has worked awesome and still ready to go. The best part of these is they don't get smaller while you use it. I will report back when it dies.

Here’s one for you guys in the rust belt.680DF80F-95FC-4996-A719-E4E85BFBF7E8.jpeg.b010e8d666e7ef3b13de637b6c2de05e.jpeg

https://www.theinductor.com/induction-heater-tool-news/induction-innovations-launches-venom

Its a little on the spendy side, but incredibly useful, seen above being used on a 200,000-mile Subaru axle nut that wouldn’t budge with my crappy little impact wrench. But it doesn’t cost that much more than a decent oxyacetylene torch setup , and you don’t need to worry about gas. It’s a little slower to heat things than a torch, but it’ll still get bolts red hot, and doesn’t run the risk of setting adjacent rubber and plastic or greasy things on fire, or wasting an aluminum part, because it’s so much more precise an application of heat. 

1 hour ago, JMO413 said:

IMG_20201208_173421727.jpg.bf3ce5cdfad166911eb16bea730d9caf.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2B1TBP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_l3a0FbX1ZZGEW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So far I have cut off 2 lower quarter panels outer and inner, a few large chunks of the rear floor, cut out a chunk of rocker inner & outer, trimmed the new panel to fit. It has worked awesome and still ready to go. The best part of these is they don't get smaller while you use it. I will report back when it dies.

I tried the Lennox version, I wasn't really impressed. It was slower than an abrasive disc, and didn't last as long as I expected. OTOH, I didn't worry about one of my son's buddies blowing it up in their face, with no safety glasses or face shield, after they have pulled the guard.

How do you think it works as compared to abrasives, and what brand of those did you use?

15 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

I tried the Lennox version, I wasn't really impressed. It was slower than an abrasive disc, and didn't last as long as I expected. OTOH, I didn't worry about one of my son's buddies blowing it up in their face, with no safety glasses or face shield, after they have pulled the guard.

How do you think it works as compared to abrasives, and what brand of those did you use?

I have only used it on sheet metal so far and it cuts like a hot knife through butter. I have tried about every abrasive Menards and such have to offer. So far the Norton and DeWalt seem to last the longest. I have plenty more to cut shortly so time will only tell. I still wear a face shield, dust mask, leather gloves, and a long sleeve when I use the death wheel. That is one thing I have finally learned. Age does have some perks. LOL

My big Skil 9" grinder has done more damage to me, but with a wire wheel. It got traction, ripped the grinder out of my hands, and brushed a 1/2" wide, 1/2" deep groove about 3" long across the top of my thigh before the trigger opened up.

But 0.040 discs scare me more.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:42 PM, The86manche said:

20201027_164343.jpg.e87b3544d998211a77c86c127affe4a1.jpg

If you have deep pockets, this is a fun tool to have.

Hand held spot welder. I don't remember the brand though. Wired for 220 and many settings for different metal thickness and clamp times.

Many accessories too, different shape and sized ends.

Spot welders are handy to have for body work and general fabrication.   I built a stand for mine which is similar to yours.   It's foot operated so you can use both hands to maneuver what you're working on.   I also added a timer which is good for different gauge metals.  I can detach it from the stand quickly by removing 4 bolts. 

Years ago I picked up a Porta-Spot welder at an estate sale.   The lady holding it was adamant that it was an arc welder.  When I told her it was a spot welder she started to argue with me.   She then said "$50" and I said ... "nice arc welder!".   

1257493995_Welder-Spot-2.jpg.bc4362a1ed3c1ecedf70e6d448002c43.jpg1285196532_Welder-PortaSpot-2.jpg.ba851a87e5f852bb6ee88dc8410803f1.jpg

Here's one I'd like to share.  Its not mind-blowing, but still kinda cool.  Snap-On's TZERO ratchet.

I'm in A&P school to one day be an FAA-certified aircraft mechanic.  Unlike my experiences in automotive, we A&P guys use a LOT of 1/4" drive tools to get into very tight areas.  Snap-On came up with this little ratchet a few years ago.  It doesn't use gears, but rather is toothless using roller bearings giving the user an insanely small swing arc range to better work in those tight areas.  

wrench.png.3222db5c5103e04d3d1de0daaf2de4dc.png

It took a time or two to get used to it.  A few of my fellow classmates tried it and a few even hated it at first.  At first, it kinda confuses you as there is no clicking going on.  You'd be surprised how much your brain picks up those clicks, reassuring you that something is happening.  

There's no clicks and other senses make up for the lack of that sound.  It really shines when you can only turn a fastener a tiny bit at a time.  I've gotten used to it now and I really dig it.  Smooth as silk.

Snap-On sells this little devil for $147.50, but I got mine for $56.71 with my Student Excellence Program.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used my rivnut gun yesterday for the first time since I bought it.  Handy tool to have around for sure.  Way better than tryng to tack a nut to a piece of sheetmetal.

Here is a link to the one I have.  Ive only but in about 5 rivnuts with it so far. So no review yet, I'm still learning how it works.  lol

https://www.amazon.com/WETOLS-Rivet-Metric-Mandrels-Rivnuts/dp/B081GDRTXP/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=wetools+rivnut&link_code=qs&qid=1609759804&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1&tag=mozilla-20

• 3 months later...
On 11/11/2020 at 12:42 PM, The86manche said:

20201027_164343.jpg.e87b3544d998211a77c86c127affe4a1.jpg

If you have deep pockets, this is a fun tool to have.

Hand held spot welder. I don't remember the brand though. Wired for 220 and many settings for different metal thickness and clamp times.

Many accessories too, different shape and sized ends.

How did the spot welder work out?

My single female Co-worker gave me this today.  She found it in her recently purchased home in the back of a closet.  She had no idea what it is and thought of me, as the only dude Co-worker at the facility.

Looks unused.  I lucked out, as these things are GOLDEN to have when you need them.

5pc, O2 Sensor tools with chasers kit.  Can't beat the price.

775617648_o2sensorkit.jpg.9dd4188278f5b99f9c018796deae3fc7.jpg

23 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Anyone make or buy any new tools?

I'm currently building a powder coating oven.  The cabinet and door are pretty much done.   I have to finish the wiring, add the insulation and skin it with galvanized sheet metal ... plus a lot of other small things.  The interior dimensions are 24" W - 18" D - 48" H.   

21-04-13 2.JPG

21-04-13 3.JPG

5 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Impressive.  All for your own use or are you in the trade?   Did you insulate it with foam?

Thanks.  No, I have a lot to learn yet about powder coating so it's for my use and probably a few friends if they want to give it a try.   I currently spray a lot of parts (enamel mostly) and I'm sure powder coating will be better once I get the hang of it.   

I've sealed parts of the oven with a high temp silicone and have some to do yet.   I'll be insulating it with Rockwool and then attaching the exterior sheet metal.  I'm hoping one bundle will do it. 

DAP Red 100% RTV Silicone Sealant 10.3 oz., high temp formula up to 550F | eBay

Rockwool Comfortbatt R14 Insulation Batt 16-inch for 2x4 Studs | The Home Depot Canada

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I need to build an oven big enough to powdercoat an entire MJ :D 

4 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

container in the middle of the desert should work  

It's been done and the dessert would certainly help with heat!   Dust/sand might be a problem though.  lol.   I've seen pics of container ovens but not with insulation (interior or exterior).   From what I understand there's a point where electrical heat is not going to work and you have to go with propane.   I've seen some small ones heated by propane but never big one by electricity.       

1 hour ago, MiNi Beast said:

container in the middle of the desert should work  

the shipping container in my backyard will even work. last time in February it was 23 outside and I was sewing inside that thing in a tshirt and shorts it was so warm

On 4/12/2021 at 8:31 AM, Manche757 said:

How did the spot welder work out?

I would say pretty well!

The spotwelds are still holding together on the bird my dad and i are building20200207_193726.jpg.aaeaa173fc28e3d73b17ffa5c2cf50f6.jpg

And the rocker panel i put on my zj has not split either 

20201027_164334.jpg.cbcdead3438c0a28a00a948f81c82839.jpg(again upside down...) 20201027_180320.jpg.0c6c0a7eb70d3c2ac957dc3be148830e.jpg

I recommend this if you have the money. And they sell adaptors too for different spaces and shapes