Tool Talk

Jeep Driver

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lincoln Electric K3034-4 VIKING 3350 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with 4C Lens Technology.

This was some what expensive but well worth the money.

IMG_20210702_125315852.jpg.50246383a0901bd46ec2c5a0fb223a0f.jpg

Giant front lens.

IMG_20210702_125323503.jpg.be920250e96e1ba93c7e4af2f9f010fc.jpg

Six point head gear is super comfortable and adjustable.

IMG_20210702_125441410.jpg.51c82ff1aba82f4267cf73db74d0dd8a.jpg

Giant inside lens. This is the best part. The view is amazing and it's beyond clear. This picture is looking through the lens.

IMG_20210702_125447120_HDR.jpg.e8c644f56016620ca6f9c3a88bdb281b.jpg

IMG_20210702_130339956.jpg.3bad3137aaeadbce266aa3e1c9a48da7.jpg

I also added the leather neck protector so my beard doesn't catch on fire. I'm into the whole thing about $300. It was awesome to use while welding in my floor pans recently. The clear view is awesome you never need to flip it up to see. The huge screen was awesome for those hard to see areas. You only have one set of eyes so it was money well spent in my book. It's going to get plenty of use when I put the floors in the XJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a question as to what people are using on the front driveshaft bolts at the tcase yoke. There’s not a lot of clearance in there to get much more than a standard box-end of a wrench on the bolt heads, and they’re pretty small heads at 5/16” to be putting a 12-point wrench onto them. If they’re a little rusty which they always are up here, it’s super easy to round them off, and it would be nice to have a six-pointed tool to prevent that, preferably one I can get a reasonable amount of torque into without needing a snipe on it. Long-handled 6-point wrenches don’t really seem to be a thing.

I don’t really need one immediately right now, but it would be nice to track something down before the next time I drop one, or I might end up having to do some hacking and sparkling to make my own when it comes time. 

Anyone used the Snap-on 12-point flank drive wrenches? The six-point flank drive sockets are nice to have for rounded bolts, but I have trouble imagining there’s enough interface on a 12-point wrench to accomplish the same thing.

12 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

I’ve got a question as to what people are using on the front driveshaft bolts at the tcase yoke. There’s not a lot of clearance in there to get much more than a standard box-end of a wrench on the bolt heads, and they’re pretty small heads at 5/16” to be putting a 12-point wrench onto them. If they’re a little rusty which they always are up here, it’s super easy to round them off, and it would be nice to have a six-pointed tool to prevent that, preferably one I can get a reasonable amount of torque into without needing a snipe on it. Long-handled 6-point wrenches don’t really seem to be a thing.

I don’t really need one immediately right now, but it would be nice to track something down before the next time I drop one, or I might end up having to do some hacking and sparkling to make my own when it comes time. 

Anyone used the Snap-on 12-point flank drive wrenches? The six-point flank drive sockets are nice to have for rounded bolts, but I have trouble imagining there’s enough interface on a 12-point wrench to accomplish the same thing.

I wonder if a battery bolt wrench would work.  They are 5/16" and 6 point.  Don't know if they are too wide to fit on the bolt without interfering with the yoke though.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4615-Long-Side-Terminal-Battery/dp/B000IHNXHM

2 hours ago, schardein said:

I wonder if a battery bolt wrench would work.  They are 5/16" and 6 point.  Don't know if they are too wide to fit on the bolt without interfering with the yoke though.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4615-Long-Side-Terminal-Battery/dp/B000IHNXHM

That’s an idea. Probably available pretty cheap too at the parts store so less concern about damaging the ratcheting mechanism, plus they might come in cheaper non-ratcheting versions? I don’t see too many side post batteries any more, but the insulated handle would be nice… I still have a few tools with little weld scars from pulling side posts batteries. I got a ratcheting wrench onto the bolts to spin them down so there might be clearance for it too, the clearance above the bolt head is more my concern here.

1 hour ago, JMO413 said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IQSETQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_3PRYNF6X027QP892ZXRZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have been overly happy I bought these. Six point wrenches are a life saver when you NEED one.

Yeah when you need one you NEED one. 

I never thought to look to Gearwrench for a non-ratcheting wrench. Looks like they come in at slightly shorter than the standard length Snap-on set, but not a huge amount. I’ve been more than happy with the gearwrench quality as well, so I might have to do some price comparing. 

I also just remembered about Milwaukee’s “Four-flat” sockets, with the square bases, to put wrenches onto if you need. I could get the sockets into the space, I just couldn’t get tools onto them, so this might be a decent solution, get whatever wrench length I want onto the other end.

F93F0830-B434-4A5C-A4D0-C745131F701A.jpeg.3a02eabdba0c8d5a08230ad8c73d03d1.jpeg

I was scanning through the Harbor Freight catalogue as well, more for ideas cause I can’t buy their junk up here, and now I’m wondering if something like this wouldn’t be too tall to get in there:

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/combination-wrenches-wrench-sets/8-in-1-sae-socket-wrench-60830.html

3D3B3916-45E1-4E25-B1AF-737ED63B4CD3.jpeg.0baeb8d79cb660ec29e12d7936f61198.jpeg

Also stumbled across this, which, well I don’t know exactly who it’s supposed to be for but seems like an excellent way to turn your bolt heads into circles… one shape to fit everything? I’ll pass. Mediocre for everything and very good for nothing from the looks of it. Not sure how it’s reviewing so high.

12D93D0E-494F-4395-BEA6-5896C0EFA34F.jpeg.f87d4aa90a07c1f0fc4d9740237f7390.jpeg

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/combination-wrenches-wrench-sets/universal-sae-combination-wrench-set-7-pc-69330.html

• 1 month later...

just bought a new tool bag!  :D   it's a diaper bag. :grinyes:  got it used for 5 bucks so I figure it's worth a shot.  super padded on the side that touches my body, has front pocket that are vertical to hold my hand tools, and the inside is bright orange.  we shall see how tough it is. :dunno:  (eventually, as I'm not sure I want to risk another junkyard day for a while)  Tomorrow I'll start transferring tools from my Swiss backpack (which has set a very high bar in durability) and see how it all fits. 

if anyone is looking for a budget junkyard backpack, seek out a Swiss brand from your local resale shops. :L: 

509815_9357_L2.jpg

On 8/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, JMO413 said:

1378249503_IMG_20210820_1140228522.jpg.d6fbbcf239d6a9f616c097ea1f541353.jpg

Nano sockets. Metric is Astro Pneumatic and the SAE are Sunex. I say a regular shallow on each end. These are awesome when you can't fit a regular socket. The bottoms are 22MM you can use a wrench on.

I swear by Sunex impact sockets even for non impact use. I have the master sets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drive. Easily one of my favorite tool purchases.

3 hours ago, Minuit said:

I swear by Sunex impact sockets even for non impact use. I have the master sets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drive. Easily one of my favorite tool purchases.

The only others I have are the 1/4" drive and I definitely like them.

IMG_20210821_202527218.jpg.d2ae787889457714c98a6f1a92fcca1c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That door pin tool looks pretty cool, and would be pretty useful to tradesman (painters, I would think most).

I really HATE all the ads on Youtube nowadays, and just hover my mouse over the area where the "skip ad" prompt comes up in 3...2...1...and click it instantly.  But every once in awhile one catches my eye, like yesterday for this product.  I have a couple cheezy headlamps from Lowe's I use now, and I pretty much hate them.  I will be ordering one of these this weekend:  https://www.lightbarheadlamp.com/

26 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

That door pin tool looks pretty cool, and would be pretty useful to tradesman (painters, I would think most).

I really HATE all the ads on Youtube nowadays, and just hover my mouse over the area where the "skip ad" prompt comes up in 3...2...1...and click it instantly.  But every once in awhile one catches my eye, like yesterday for this product.  I have a couple cheezy headlamps from Lowe's I use now, and I pretty much hate them.  I will be ordering one of these this weekend:  https://www.lightbarheadlamp.com/

Interesting.  I've got several headlights, Princeton Tec, Petzl, Harbor Freight.  These look interesting.  Which model you thinking?  I like the regular for replaceable AAA batteries, but like the higher light output and spotlight mode of the Sport.  Not sure the higher light output, longer run time, and red mode makes the Pro worth the money for my use.

2 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

I did a thing recently that I feel is important to share. I hacked the Facebook advertising algorithm. Not sure why it popped up at all, but about a month ago I got an ad for lingerie. So I clicked it. Then subsequently for about a week I clicked on every single lingerie ad. Now roughly 75% of the ads I see on Facebook are for things I don’t mind observing but that I’m very unlikely to impulse buy.

I'm just going to get the base model for now, to see how they actually perform.  My main use will be in the garage wrenching on the KJ or the Focus.  Once I get my hands on it I'll do a post about it either way, good or bad :laugh:

Sooo....the secret is to click all the lingerie ads I see.  Interesting approach.  I'll give it a try LOL.