Tool Talk

Jeep Driver

Yeah, no glare like Frank says.  I wear glasses (when I want to see things) but not when I'm working on stuff.  I'm near-sighted.  But I do wear safety glasses and this thing doesn't cause any issues for me.  Its like a floodlight that lights up the entire working area evenly.  I do have a point-light harness also to focus light to a specific area when needed, but it won't see much gametime now that I have this thing.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jack stands I use at home ratchet but have locking pins that will prevent the stands from dropping if the ratchet somehow fails. But yeah, for extra height the higher rated jack stands are a better bet anyhow, it’s more likely for things to go south when the jack stands are pushing their limit of travel… I’ve knocked things over more times than I care to admit.

I have found that the dewalt dcf899 impact I purchased a few months back to be invaluable for removing stubborn bolts. It comes in handy on a lot of old iron I purchase and repair. Yeah, it's a bit of change upfront, but the tool is literally priceless for what it does. Sometimes it even beats the big ol 3ft breaker bar.

IMG_20220219_173735537.jpg

One of those handy things, something I inherited at work. I’ve never really gone looking for another, or found out what it’s properly called, although I refer to it as a wrench extender.

5D31F800-21BD-4952-AB85-B6B07771FB15.jpeg.38fef856ca82ce0cf420827c996e0e14.jpeg
9895F7FD-9B00-42E4-B82B-926F1D145678.jpeg.6cbd10c39071a0c8077607062db6c8cd.jpeg

The only marking on it is “Chestnut Tools”. I don’t really use it for super high torque stuff, although I suppose you could, but I use it more for when I’m working at awkward angles and it’s tough to get a solid pull on the wrench. There’s a couple magnets between the grips so the wrench stays put, and it’ll handle every size in a typical wrench set, for reference the one in the photo is 5/8”. Beats the crap out of a pipe or some sketchy wrench interlocking.

That's pretty trick.

I didn't invent it per se, but I repurposed something.  It originally was a metal "wand" of sorts with interchangeable tips you would screw on and then hook to a garden hose to make a poor man's power washer.  It works just as horribly as you would expect it to for that purpose.  My mother (RIP) gave it to me a long time ago and I just didn't have the heart to toss it out.  So, I expertly re-engineered the wand part (read: bent the crap out of it) and removed the tip(s).  I use it to flush heater cores with now and it works great.  It's got a quarter turn shutoff valve on it with a handle, and is long and skinny enough to get inside the inlet/outlet pipes on any vehicle I've used it on.  If you've ever had to flush a KJ core, you'll know that it's a real PITA to get to the pipes.....this thing makes it really easy.  I'll snap a pic of it tonight.

ETA pic.

20220222_172039.jpg

Edited by mjeff87
add pic

IMG_20220222_182202215.jpg.f053cb7e83c2c0a0ebf9cfc2658c6c7f.jpg

Walked by one of the seasoned techs in the shop a couple days ago doing a brake job. He was installing the rear drum springs with what looked like the original version of this tool. After seeing him use it I felt I needed one. It makes installing the springs easier and a little safer.

14 minutes ago, keeponjeepinon said:

Since we're on the topic of wrench extenders, this tube I kept from the roof rack of an ill fated YJ. It's great for doing the axle bolts on my Golf TDI, the spec for those is 200Nm plus 180 degrees.

20220221_172042.jpg.33fa3d171b9474aed026707fef1fc679.jpg

I had a lug nut on one of our highway plows recently that I couldn’t get off even with the 1” impact. It took 280 lbs of me jumping on the end of a 12-foot piece of square tube over a 1” breaker bar to bust it loose. Needless to say that hub got all new studs and nuts that day.

I've got a couple different cheater pipes, but I picked up another one a couple days ago at work.  We had some contractors in working on the sprinkler system and they chucked a cutoff piece of schedule 40 in the trash.  Its now in my garage:))

20220226_074521.jpg

I've found these Harbor Freight dollys super handy for removing/re-installing/storing complete axle assemblies.

It's a Harbor Freight 1000 lb capacity dolly.  I just checked and they are $12.99, used to be able to get them for less than $10.

I add some scrap wood to make a super handy axle dolly.

Over the winter I did a lot suspension and axle work on my 83 CJ.  Working by myself, I placed this dolly under the axle.  Unbolted everything (driveshaft, brake hose, parking brake cables, locker cable, u-bolts, and lower shackle bolts).  Then using a Harbor Freight 1.5 ton aluminum jack under each leaf spring, lowered the axle into the dolly (Jeep supported by the frame with jack stands).  Then roll it out.  Do the work, and roll it back in.  I had the rear axle in and out at least 6 times as I finalized spring pad position, pinion angle, and shock mount locations.

I also had to get creative to get a differential assembly out of the axle housing, and yes, I have a case spreader.

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I had 2 squeaky serpentine belt systems that needed diagnosis and was looking for a good way to tackle this.  I'd tried a straight edge but it didn't seem exacting enough for what I needed.  I ended up investing in one of these:  Gates 91075 Laser alignment tool for Serpentine belt systems. 

https://www.gates.com/us/en/search.p.7468-000000-000010.v.7468-00075.html

Worked great on the MJ too. Told me the balancer wasn't fully seated on the crank snout. You can see the target and laser on the P/S pulley after alignment

laser alignment ps.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 11:39 PM, Pete M said:

epoxied a neodymium magnet to the back of my drill.  :D  haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but am looking forward to letting it hold bits or screws or whatever. 

IMG_20220309_162938_985.jpg

I like this.  I usually carry my Dewalt driver on junkyard trips, with a Phillips bit in it.  Also have a 1/4" socket adapter that I would carry in the factory holder at the bottom of the handle.  But I've lost two socket adapters that way now, so no longer using it.  

I carry a Leatherman Wave on my trips to the junkyards.  I attached the sheath to the shoulder straps of my Toolpak, so it's always within easy reach.  But the Velcro that holds the sheath shut has worn out to the point that I thought it was only a matter of time before I lost the tool.  I researched buying a replacement sheath and apparently it's a common complaint, and the replacement from Leatherman isn't even as good as the original.  There is even someone making custom real leather replacements ($50!!), but it doesn't have anywhere to store the accessory bit holder.

So I got a cheap snap kit off Amazon and that did the trick.  

IMG_4192.jpeg

IMG_4193.jpeg

I was watching an Eric O. (SMA) video last night, and he had the coolest fluid transfer pump I've ever seen.  Uses your existing Dewalt tool, it fits into a holster of a sort, and you insert a hex bit to power the pump.  Slicker than frog snot.  He says it's a MAC tool, and showed the part number that I forgot to write down.  So I googled it this morning.......it's out of stock thru MAC (not sure who makes it for them to try to find an alternate source).  But I almost fainted when I saw the price.  I'll not be purchasing one of these anytime soon.:sad:

https://www.mactools.com/products/pbt71196

9 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Eric O. (SMA)

Watch Wes Work put out a video recently that shows Eric O is really an influencer . . . Unfortunately, Wes did not have the same experience with the tool that Mr. O did. I'll see if I can find the video again and edit this post. Basic warning of YMMV.

HERE is the link. Queued up to ~29min mark.

Interesting......glad I don't have an extra $200 lying around to waste on that.

One of the commenters said he made is own fluid pump out of an old engine oil pump.  That's crafty.