Tool Talk

Jeep Driver

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

do the varied combinations of 10 different extensions and wobbly bits I combine together to get at bolts in an engine bay because I'm too lazy to use a ratchet instead of my impact driver count?  :laugh:

Only if you provide a pic to show that you have actually used said device and this is not a big fish story.  :L:

lucky for you I have my junkyard socket case sitting right next to me. :D  this is about what I used to get at the ecu screws without taking apart the lower dash. 

also wanted to show off my Pelican case. :L:  very compact and carries only the bits I want in the junkyard.  I have a second that carries torx and other oddities.  as a bonus it makes a little tray every time you open it up!  the only bummer is that, while the case itself is super tough and waterproof, the latch doesn't usually stay closed if you drop it while full of sockets.  :doh:

20200216_143055.jpg

23 hours ago, Pete M said:

the only bummer is that, while the case itself is super tough and waterproof, the latch doesn't usually stay closed if you drop it while full of sockets.  :doh:

Get the big fat elastic bands they use for broccoli or whatever and just wrap one around it all the time.

I would like to start this of with I am a hobbyist mechanic. I work on cars because I love old Jeeps, and if you drive old Jeeps you have to work in them.Just so you know where I'm coming from.

I got this Ryobi cordless brushless grinder for Christmas. So far I am fairly impressed. 

IMG_20200217_185217343.jpg.d819fc7208515b0de35a0e1ba362a3d6.jpg

The guard has a nice lever to push to rotate it around. No screw to loosen.

IMG_20200217_185223183.jpg.442153055e0e91a9ff28075313771a50.jpg

The tool to change the disc is stored in the handle. I can turn the power switch on wearing leather gloves also.

IMG_20200217_185241381.jpg.a53868d420cfc2af1dc6c23ab3ef8331.jpg

The tool storage is just something all tools should have. I am a little biased I have quite a few Ryobi tools and plenty of batteries.

IMG_20200217_190328656.jpg.c1ec9e86dcc3988fdc96c016dd2e7ac9.jpg

It's an addiction similar to Jeeps only cheaper.

the battery powered grinders are an absolute game changer in the junkyard.  

Unfortunately big yards won’t let you have grinders, but still allow reciprocating saws. At least around here is what I’ve noticed. I guess sparks are an issue or something. Anywho, I have cut many axles out. So much easier than trying to undo rusty or hard to get to bolts. Recently I switched from ryobi to dewalt. The deciding factor for me was the 1/2 impact. The dewalt 1/2 impact has so much more power than the ryobi does and I didn’t want 2 sets of batteries and chargers so I sold off my ryobi stuff and bought a dewalt 4 piece xr kit. I love tools of all kinds and could probably talk all day about what tools I do and don’t like and what’s worked best when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, SatiricalHen said:

Unfortunately big yards won’t let you have grinders, but still allow reciprocating saws.

very true.  it's important to ask as you walk in so you can better formulate a plan once you find the Jeeps. 

One of the yards on my trip out west didn't allow either.  very curious.  :thinking:

very true.  it's important to ask as you walk in so you can better formulate a plan once you find the Jeeps. 

One of the yards on my trip out west didn't allow either.  very curious.  :thinking:

Lucky for me every yard has allowed a reciprocating saw and I don’t own a cordless grinder so I’ve been fine so far!

6 hours ago, JMO413 said:

IMG_20200217_190328656.jpg.c1ec9e86dcc3988fdc96c016dd2e7ac9.jpg

That picture is mesmerizing. 500 years ago Pieter Breugal the Elder, a Dutch painter, created paintings that show great detail of scenes loaded with much detail. I looked at your pic a few times before I spoted the vase and plant right in clear view in the middle. I also see your collectble kerosene lantern. My Dad used those to go out at night to check on tobacco barns that were fired up curing tobacco before flashlight batteries lasted very long with the bulbs of those days. I note, that you have a lot of stuff, it is all visible without having to move anything. Wish my kitchen cabinets were like that. I also note that you have only as many screwdrivers and adjustable wrenches as a person might need. I have trouble throwing out old ones.

Notice the acute details in all the images. Usually background parts are less clear to focus on the central part of the painting. The Wedding Dance 1566.

download.jpeg

6 hours ago, Manche757 said:

That picture is mesmerizing. 500 years ago Pieter Breugal the Elder, a Dutch painter, created paintings that show great detail of scenes loaded with much detail. I looked at your pic a few times before I spoted the vase and plant right in clear view in the middle. I also see your collectble kerosene lantern. My Dad used those to go out at night to check on tobacco barns that were fired up curing tobacco before flashlight batteries lasted very long with the bulbs of those days. I note, that you have a lot of stuff, it is all visible without having to move anything. Wish my kitchen cabinets were like that. I also note that you have only as many screwdrivers and adjustable wrenches as a person might need. I have trouble throwing out old ones.

Notice the acute details in all the images. Usually background parts are less clear to focus on the central part of the painting. The Wedding Dance 1566.

download.jpeg

The vase is from my wedding. We had real flowers for the wedding this was just the prototype. The lantern I have had for as long as I can remember. The screwdrivers you can see are only a small part of my collection. I have a drawer full in the tool box and another full set not in the picture. My plan was to make a useable bench with everything in arms reach. 

That is an amazing painting.

I am curious, where did "many" axles go?

One is a Cherokee 8.25 that is under my Comanche, one is a d30 that is under a friends s10, one is a Toyota 4Runner rear axle that is under another friends 4Runner, one is a Toyota 4Runner rear axle under a Toyota pickup I got for a guy on marketplace, one was bent, but I cut it out and the 3rd ended up in my buddy’s 4th gen 4Runner when he blew his up.

Harbor Freight sent me the 20% off coupon for the new line of Icon tools. I've been using the cheap torque wrenches for years and the Icon looked a cheaper alternative to the truck brands. I bought it and the 12 pc. torx bit set. I haven't used them yet but the torque wrench feels like a real quality tool.

4 hours ago, jdog said:

Thats a nice box, the sockets on the rear, are they on magnets or just laying there?

Stock 1988 swb 4.0 ax15 np 231.

Thanks!

Magnetic rails throughout the box other than the 1/4” snap on sets.  Using those for the crows feet on the front inner face, too.

18 hours ago, JeepcoMJ said:

🙄😬😉

I may have gone overboard at work...

45809693-30CD-473B-AEB0-AE155EA95606.jpeg

Impressive tool box and collection of tools.  Is a tool bin or box available similar to the pic above?  

Is the concrete floor strong enough to support it all?  :laugh:

4 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Impressive tool box and collection of tools.  Is a tool bin or box available similar to the pic above?  

Is the concrete floor strong enough to support it all?  :laugh:

Lol, I don’t think so...and thankfully yes.  I have this one, a classic 78, a 3 drawer cart, a rolling table, and a very nice rolling bench that I built with two vices.  And that’s just at work 🤣. Worse, they’re all full.  Worse than that, people think they don’t have to buy tools because I have them all.  They don’t seem to get that I bought them so that I’d have them when I need them 🙄🤷🏻‍♂️

I do have this little guy.  Maybe a foot long and made from heavy wall conduit.  One end is for round ratchet handles, the other for rectangular.  the bends allow me to rotate it in the tight confines of an engine bay to gain access I might not have otherwise if it was straight.  For example: the rearmost bolt on the front upper control arm of a Liberty

20200222_170240.jpg

20200222_170245.jpg

On 2/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, dante2 said:

Harbor Freight sent me the 20% off coupon for the new line of Icon tools. I've been using the cheap torque wrenches for years and the Icon looked a cheaper alternative to the truck brands. I bought it and the 12 pc. torx bit set. I haven't used them yet but the torque wrench feels like a real quality tool.

I took advantage of their deal and got myself a 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet. I wanted to try them out when I pull the tranny to replace the rear freeze plug on my MJ. I had been using US made Craftsman for 20 years but their stuff is junk now. We will see how the Icon stuff holds up. 

20200210_142909.jpg.7cab1db28621962384e9427f757db564.jpg

I took advantage of their deal and got myself a 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet. I wanted to try them out when I pull the tranny to replace the rear freeze plug on my MJ. I had been using US made Craftsman for 20 years but their stuff is junk now. We will see how the Icon stuff holds up. 

20200210_142909.jpg.7cab1db28621962384e9427f757db564.jpg

I plan to grab a ratchet or two before the sale runs out, but I’m not sure what size I’d like to get. I have my long handled gear wrench 1/4 and 3/8 drive ratchets, and a pair of craftsman 1/4 and 3/8 drive regular length ratchets. I don’t know if I want to replace the craftsman ratchets or get stubby ratchets which I don’t currently have.