what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

Finished up installing a set of Morel component speakers in the 91. They sound awesome. Noticed that the boot on the drag link is popped and leaking grease... about time I redid the steering anyway.

Looked at the 89 and thought about buying it a battery, and then went inside to warm up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I failed my equipment inspection for not having a catalytic converter installed.  I soon realized I was going to have to cut all the old piping out because Backyard Bubba snapped a stud of the CAT support bracket, then just said "Screw it!" and stick welded the downpipe, bracket and cat-delete sections together.  Ugh.

New exhaust went in this weekend.  Walker piping, cat, and Flowmaster 50.  Found a replacement support bracket at the local U-pull.  I was very impressed with the fit of the Walker piping.  Everything snaked together properly with no modifications other than trimming 3" off the forward end of the tailpipe section to accommodate the FM50.  The sound is great, nice low rumble at idle with no drone in the cab while underway. 

TMBLo5K.jpg

qGasS6Q.jpg

vbjuGxm.jpg

PwUY9gB.jpg

25 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

So I failed my equipment inspection for not having a catalytic converter installed.  I soon realized I was going to have to cut all the old piping out because Backyard Bubba snapped a stud of the CAT support bracket, then just said "Screw it!" and stick weld the downpipe, bracket and cat-delete sections together.  Ugh.

New exhaust went in this weekend.  Walker piping, cat, and Flowmaster 50.  Found a replacement support bracket at the local U-pull.  I was very impressed with the fit of the Walker piping.  Everything snaked together properly with no modifications other than trimming 3" off the forward end of the tailpipe section to accommodate the FM50.  The sound is great, nice low rumble at idle with no drone in the cab while underway.

It's good to know that Walker stuff fits that well.  Is it all aluminized pipe, or is it just bare steel?  It's a little unclear on their site, but it looks like it has some sort of coating on it in your pictures.

18 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

It's good to know that Walker stuff fits that well.  Is it all aluminized pipe, or is it just bare steel?  It's a little unclear on their site, but it looks like it has some sort of coating on it in your pictures.

It's aluminized piping.   If you punch in your vehicle specs on their website it should pull up all the part numbers you need.  Click the part number, then the "Tech Specs" tab.  

I bought an alternator for the 86 2.5 which is quickly becoming a stupid hole.  Like many moody women, she slowly drains your wallet. So far the list since thanksgiving of 2017. Thermostat(thank god i checked it), housing, water pump, junkyard fan shroud, new fan clutch, radiator, all hoses, all vacuum lines, valve cover swap with gasket, belt, soon to replace the power steering too. Now, under the hood has been cleaned and inspected, I can actually eliminate problems 1 by 1 and tell where its coming from. I went to tighten the new belt yesterday after completing the cooling system when I seen that the housing was broke on the alternator by the prior owner and rtvd the other stripped out mounting bolt. No wonder why it was so cheap from what was boogered up so far. The pump pressure line got ordered so thats next week. Ive got more so far in parts than the truck.

Today, I sold it. [crying intensely inside]

In a life transition phase right now, and have no time for extra curricular projects (just had a baby; considering getting a crew cab pickup; needed to make room in the shop for other projects). Wanted to give the Jeep to someone who can appreciate it more than me. MJs are too precious to keep cooped up in the garage all alone. 

I fully expect to have another MJ within the year :laugh:. They are just too awesome. 

I finally pulled the power steering pully and pump off my 86 2.5 that I have been putting off since I noticed it leaking. Also knew it had 30+ years of neglet and it was gonna be rusted on. It was. Broke my harbor freight impact on it(no surprise there) so the wife helped be the third hand to hold one wrench while I held one and smacked one with a hammer. After about 5 torch warm up and cool downs as well as multiple hmmer wacks. It moved about 1/16 of an inch over thqt half hour. It took a couple more times and then a 1/4". I eventually got it after about an hour. The longest pully pull ever. I also sanded the prior owners garbage paint job on a new fender repair he did. It was autozone dupli color rattle can after hand sanding wet with 400 grit. I was surprised it came out as good as it did. I may actually clear coat it and do the whole truck little by little.