what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

drove out to the son's place today to deliver a wicker couch and a 3K generator (a freebee I picked up), stopped for lunch at a burger joint ---- bam starter fails in the parking lot --- luckily was parked on an incline to roll start -- continued on to son's place. 

picked up a new one and installed (one hour to remove, drive over to shop to pick up and reinstal)

Replaced my ignition switch. On the way home from work my AC, radio and turn signals just stopped working all of a sudden. Traced it to the brown wire on the ignition switch, the terminal on the switch was melted. replaced the switch and all is good for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced my radiator last night. I ordered what was advertised as a 2 core rad. It came as a single core but double thickness, which I guess is fine. It installed fine and seems to have helped my overheating issues greatly. The old one seems to have seen better days. The inner passages I could see through the cap seems half plugged up, and it appears to have been slowly leaking. I also added a bottle of water wetter and an 18lb rad cap. It can't hurt! Then I drove today a half hour with a bed full of used JK parts to see if I could sell any to a group of Willys enthusiasts. Needless to say, I didnt sell much. But the truck stayed cool and ran good. Now I just need to make the time to install the park brake cables and speedo cable I bought for it I don't know how many months ago.

Ordered parts for it that will eventually get replaced later on down the line when I have time in the shop. Need to do another oil change because the filter I got for free at the shop is a cruddy off-brand that doesn't seem up to snuff to what the truck requires. Might see if I can buy a case of Purolator filters on the cheap... :typing:  Seems I've been working more on other people's cars now than my own. Feels good for once :yes:

• 1 month later...

cffec9bf4458bbcbee9d0d7aab57412c.jpg

Did basic fab on the new electric fan for my MJ in my living room. I think my design is a little cleaner than the popular 14in fan how-to that everyone has seen, and I suspect it's much slimmer since I haven't mounted the fan to the face of the shroud. We'll see how it fits tomorrow, after I put rubber isolators on the tension mounts for the fan.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Called the shop that had my stroker motor built after ripping it back out this fall.  I  dropped it off a month ago and decided to get the courage to call him to check up if it's not been stolen.  "Significant scoring  on the forged pistons, so it's back at the machine shop where they will rebuild it once again." 

So that explains the horrible knocking I was getting ever since I put it in the truck!!  Sounds to me that the tolerance for the forged pistons were too tight.  Seems like a race shop would know better!  We'll see, I am almost over the truck all together.  I would love to sell a couple of cars and just get a new Cherokee Trailhawk and call it a day.  Too bad the payments are too much for me to stomach for the next three years.

I have had a hard time not getting my lawyer involved, at least he's good on his warranty so far...

• 1 month later...

Traced the seven fatory spices in the fuel power line from Relay to pump, truck now has fuel again and then fixed fuel leak. MJ is finally running again after several months and total swap out with 96 cherokee. Lotta work and doesn't help when everything is four hours away........but now in the home stretch. One maybe two weeks and I'll be driving it again :banana:

Repaired the wallowed out OEM track bar frame bracket with a flip-it insert from goferit. Simple and easy to do. Really tightened up the sloppy front end on the MJ' Now on curves and road dips the wheels and body don't go in opposite directions. Tomorrow I'll pull out the steering column and order up parts to replace lower bearing and other worn out stuff.

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

• 4 months later...

Upgraded the door trim on my base MJ from blah:

to Yowza:

Not to steal my own thread (bastard) but looking at these pictures reminds me, adding the under-dash lights has got to be one of the biggest bang for the buck improvements you can make.  MJ's already have the harness there, you just got to get the lights and brackets off an XJ and plug them in.  It's silly how much better it is with these.

EDIT - stealing my thread back from myself - these panels were from a junkyard and were very dirty/greasy.  Elbow grease and Turtle Wax Oxy Power Out! Upholstery Cleaner have given me excellent results on a couple vehicles now.  That cleaner has far exceeded anything I've used before (cheap mass market stuff, have never tried premium detailing products)  

Edited by RochesterMJ

Good choice!

u8Wmhl9l.jpg

Some day I'll put some speakers in the doors.

The interior is my favorite place to play Jeep Legos. You can pretty much turn a base model interior into a fully optioned out one with nothing but parts swapping. To my knowledge the wiring exists in all MJs for these:

- Underdash courtesy lights

- Headlight delay timer

- "Headlights on" warning buzzer

- Dash clock

- Full gauge cluster (with some sensor swapping)

- Intermittent wipers (with accompanying module and multi-function switch)

- Cigarette lighter light

and probably many others. My favorites are the cheapest, the dash clock and courtesy lights.

Yesterday, I swapped out my factory 36 tooth speedo gear for a 34 tooth. Took about 15 minutes. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do it earlier. Speedometer and odometer are bang on now.

• 4 months later...

Hard to believe its been over a year since the last reply to this thread. It used to be the most popular thread here. I haven't been on much lately either. Been busy researching my latest project a 1960 Ford F100 4x4. I still have plans for the MJ though. I just installed a ZJ steering box. Went from 3 1/2 turns lock to lock to 2 1/2. Nice upgrade. Tommorow ill be installing new Moog WJ upper and lower control arms. I also have a WJ rear sway bar I may try to fit at some point.

• 2 weeks later...