Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got a digital camera, anyway here is my rust that says Jeep on it. I have been working on it longer than my nephews have been alive (I have 3 now). I know that it don't look like much, but it has served me well. There is an air system that needs to be installed, and my $2 shelf it! from the swap meet is sitting on the roof to go in. (yes that is a air horn on the roof off of a Mack truck, I don't know where to put it)

Image Not Found

here is my new comanche It is an 89 eliminator with 200000 km on it I just picked it up and plan a small levelling lift 2" front 3" back Putting some new exhaust on it tonight it has a header on it already. I also might put one of those rusty's air tubes on it. :Canadaflag:

marty

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1553/9 ... 495842.jpg

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1553/9 ... 495836.jpg

Well here she is:

I'm afraid that's all you get for pics at the moment. I'll put some more up in the projects section sometime later. I'm on dial-up here and it's just to aggravating dealing with a lot of pics. Plus I've got some wrenching to do tonight.

This is the 4th MJ we've owned, but the first 4x4 and the first 4.0. She's an '89 and started life as a 2wd 5spd. I bought it several years ago and it had already been converted to 4wd but with a TF999 and NP207 from an '87 YJ. Due to the fact that we are a multi-jeep family this truck actually sat in the driveway for almost a full year before I even touched it. Got the rusty box patched up enough to get her roadworthy in Dec '05 and have been beating on it ever since. Thankfully the t-flite only lasted for a few months before expireing a few weeks before the '06 Jeep Jamboree. So in went a 23 spline AW4 and NP242, suddenly I had a whole different truck :D This springs swap to 4.10's from the original 3.07's made a big difference also. I've done a few other little things along the way that I'll cover in the projects section but for now I just wanted to get her introduced to you all.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some more pics of my 89 eliminator. I just took it from Guelph ON through Michigan up to the Sault across to Thunder bay On. Which is home for me. Then off to Winnipeg to watch the PBR event there and then all the way back again. Which was about 5000 km (3100 miles) truck perfect and I averaged 25mpg. Which I think is pretty good. the truck is stock with a rusty's air tube and filter a header and performance cat with 3 inch cherry bomb and exhaust all the way back. I want to get some spacers for the front to level it out.

these are the new light I mounted on a small bracket I fabbed up out of some old stock I found at my parents house

On the side of the hwy in manitoba figured it would be a decent pic

And here she is working My friends tractor quit on the road and he didnt believe the manche would pull it. Well i proved him wrong didnt get out of first gear but i still pulled it 2 km to the house up a pretty good grade. Ah the power of the manche! :Canadaflag:

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the site and have learned alot hanging out here at the forum. You guys really have this truck figured. I bought the truck for $500 to send to our farm back home as a work truck. I learned the motor had been recently been rebuilt (3 months ago) new altinator, new radiator and new tires. I figured this would be great for a project. Plus i love driving it so much.

photo1xu1.jpg

photo3gs5.jpg

photo2cv4.jpg

photolm5.jpg

so far, ive changed out the power steering pump, the rear spring and shackle bushings (not sure I'm down with the red poly though), new stereo, amp, and sub

4.0l-d30-d35-3" lift-stock other than the lift and tires really

ive ordered, and should get tonight, a SOA from rocky road. i havnt heard great things about the bolt on soa, but i have to do it myself and no welder or much mechanical knowledge.

next week, i hope, i will receive my ACOS adj. spring spacer, new 4.5 coils, adj LCA's, adj. trackbar, ss brake lines, sway bar drops. all from rustys. I'm going to see how it works without the UCA's. I'm going for 5.5" to 6.5" lift. I'm doing the rear this weekend and the front next weekend.

thanks for all your posts that have helped me so far. wish me luck and feel free to give any advise. jamminz.gif

Here is my 89 MJ 4.0 auto 4x4 project, looking at this thread mine is the black sheep :D 100% rust free. I'm lifting it 4.5" in the front, SOA with 9" in the rear 4.88 gears. Theres more I have planned, I will probably start a project thread here for it. I am painting it the same color as the CJ, hunter green.

This is my second MJ I have owned, the other one was an 86 auto 2wd w/2.8 longbed

Here is what I sold because I could see ruining it in the rocks, I wanted to extend the wheelbase also but just couldnt do it to this one... I have a soft spot for CJ's in that good of shape. It being carbureted was a factor involved also.

Another new guy here. I just found this site when a guy on pirate4x4 posted a link of this place on there. Great site!

I just got my MJ on the first of september and just got it for a nice little daily that I wouldnt really touch so I can spend my money on my other project. Yeah that didnt take long till I wanted to do something with this thing. I have pretty basic plans for it but I just hate driving stock stuff.lol

Anyway it is a 88 MJ 4x4 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 97K on it. When I got it only had 87K on the clock. It was a california truck till 02 when it came to Nebraska so it has no rust. It has a crappy paint job that looks like someone did in their garage but no worries as I am in tech school right now studying to become a bodyman.

Right now it is stock as can be but once I get out of school I plan on lifting it and throw some 33's under it, new paint (might do this spring) with a 97+ frontend conversion and some better front and rear bumpers.

Here she is when I just got her and washed it all up. I will get new pics this weekend as these are the only ones I have right now but really the only thing that has changed is I painted the factory 5 spokes black as the original clear was peeling off the wheels.

here's my baby....My first truck....I'm a 16 year old jeepfreak....hence my love for my manche and jeeps in general..have been around jeeps since birth and know a fair deal about them.... pops has gone through 25+ jeeps so ive got to know them pretty well...but still learning thnx to all you nice folks ... i love this site for it doesnt have all this flaming nonsense just clean jeep fun...

enough typin here's my toy 1989 manche swb 4x4 4.0 automatic column shift has about 5.5 in lift...35's M/T MTZ's...for know gearing is stock on the original 30/35 but the rear is lincoln welded...I'm already looking into putting gears on it...like in 2 weeks ..the engine is stock except for a cheapo air intake..mustang injectors...and a flowmaster exhaust..oh the truck has virtually no rust!!!

uum ... let see 4.5 inch coils in the front with 1 3/4 spacers i believe and I'm guessing 5 to 6 in leaves in the rear they remain under the axle ... stock shackles... it runs like a dream on the expressway I'm surprised for it being so tall.... :D ....lemme know JohnQ I'm from Texas too :brows:

I'm new to the site, just picked up the bare MJ body from bigworkskidoo and figured I'd join since theres a lot of good info on here. I'll be swapping all the parts from my current XJ on the MJ and also adding a cage to it before the interior goes in.

Stay tuned for a picture filled build up thread, unfortunately I work in Canada M-F, so it might be a slow build.

Taking parts from this...

And putting them on this....

More info on the rig.

Not the red one...

...the white one!!!

Haha thnx man jamminz.gif ...well don't know what else to put seems like i already stated all the specs....just an 89 or 88 i forget with 147,xxx miles has open element air filter, flowmaster exhaust with no catalytic and mustang injectors..the drivetrain is all stock as in gearing and axles which are the 30/35 lift consists of 4.5 in coils in the front with 1.5 coil spacer and rear is a 6 in leaf spring in the rear i believe...i just switched tires yesterday gas was killing me as i am a student (I'm 16 ) and was getting 10 mpg since my gearing is original and an awesome opportunity was set forth ..my old 35 in MTZ's for brand spanking new 33.12.5 claws so i traded them..ill post pics as soon as weather permits to take more photos....here's a pic with the old tires still on...lil bit of saturday mornin eye candy...thnx guys

I never received my 'verification' e-mail or whatever so I figured I'd just try to log in and it worked 8)

Anyway I've had several XJ's, a TJ, an '86 MJ (RIP) and now a '91 MJ (and an '85 J-10 to be built as a trail rig).

1991 MJ 4.0L AW-4, 231. Long bed. only 98,000 miles!!

2" lift (appears to be rough country) with 32X11.50's (soon to be 31X10.50's).

I intend to keep this as a DD but build it to be tough no matter what it is doing. Planning on about 6" of lift, D-44's front and rear and some 33" tires.

jeep047yt2.jpg

jeep048or1.jpg

jeep050dw2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an 88, 2.5, 4 speed manual, 2wd that's getting a 350 SBC, Super T10 4 speed, and a disc 8.8 with an ected.

Here's my 99xj. My wife drives it mostly, but I trail it occasionally.

Front HP30 ARB and ARB diff cover

Rear 8.8 with ected and riddler cover 4.56 gears

Rusty's baja fenders, 4.5 RE superflex, Ameragaurd bedliner lower half exterior, Swamper LTB 33x13.5 and.....uh...oh..it's a 4.0 auto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm Erik, I'm from Philadelphia PA, I sorta recently added an 88 MJ Chief to my list of "problems" :brows: Found this place and it looks like a wealth of information!

Here are my rigs:

This is my LJ, The flagship of the fleet! :D

These are older pics. It's on AiRock now and has a Rokmen Merc GT bumper now.

This is My MJ... I don't have a ton of pics yet but... Soon enough!

My M38 Before it got torn down:

And the CJ that Dad Gave me when I was younger.

As you can see I have the bug pretty bad :nuts:

Hope that I can gain some and give some on this forum! :cheers:

Thanks! It was originally a TX truck and then parked in a garage for quite a while till I got it. Not to much rust but there is a soft spot in the trans tunnel that I found when I put the clutch in. Otherwise it runs great! I drove it to Buffalo one time and Maine another and it got almost 18mpg with the 31s.

I am working on Really fixing up the interior cause it is my DD New carpet new seats, Power windows and locks etc. I just pulled all of the plastic out and I am going to dye it all black. Next summer I will probably get it painted and rhino lined.

Have been checking out the site for awhile now and am very impressed with it.

Here is my 89 MJ 4.0 AUTO 4WD LWB PIONEER. It is in very good shape. The previous owner replaced both floor boards when they started to go bad and touched up the fading paint. She runs a little rough but will cruise at 70 with no problems. I only use it to go to the dump and pickup supplies.

DSCF0817.JPG

DSCF0819.JPG

DSCF0820.JPG

DSCF0821.JPG

DSCF0822.JPG

DSCF0831.JPG

Here is my 98 TJ Sahara - the beach Jeep. I have it tagged to run on the Delaware Beaches and Assateague Island which is located in MD. Good surf fishing!

DSC05304.JPG

Here is my 03 TJ RUBICON - the Trail Rig. It goes just about anywhere I point it!

DSC05830.sized.jpg

DSC05804.sized.jpg

DSC05344.sized.jpg

DSC05523.sized.jpg

My local club in Salisbury, Maryland is the Eastern Shore Jeep Association.

http://www.easternshorejeep.com

We have 68 acres that we lease and cut trails on!

landmapcolortax_ditch.JPG

We also hold and Annual Jeeps on the Shore Show in Pocomoke, MD at the Pocomoke Fair Grounds.

http://www.jeepsontheshore.com

Last year they let us build an obstical course in the middle of the horse track. I was put in charge of building it.

PFG__Course_772007.JPG

Turned out pretty good, you can see pics and vids on the web site!

Thanks for having a great MJ site with alot of very good people. I don't think I have seen any bashing at all on this site which plagues many other sites. jamminz.gif

I've been lurking and posting awhile, so I guess it's time I do the formal intro.

Here's the latest pic of my 86 4x4 Custom 2.8V6 with 5speed AX5. Pretty basic truck, but very little rust-just surface stuff bubbling the paint here and there when I got it. I've cleaned all that up and painted it OD green with 8 cans of Krylon Camo paint. It's running great now, so I think I'll drive the V6 until it dies before I do any kind of motor work. Next step is replacing the clutch and it should be operating 100% since I finally got it to pass Virginia safety and emissions. After that, I'll dump the factory bedliner and do a spray in Line-X or Rhinoliner. The wheels are actually from a Ford Ranger. they fit pretty good with some minor gringing for the larger hubs. I got them for free, so the price is right, and it allowed me to use one of the original steels for a full size spare.

Image Not Found