Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been holding off putting my rig on here because I wanted to do a progression of pics after doing most of what I wanted to with it. What the hell, just post what you got I say, fill in the rest later. Here goes....

Being loaded in Missouri for her trip to God's Country, eh, Virginia. Notice the cap, which I sold to Komanche, and the nice XJ Lace wheels I sold to JT. Also, dig the factory/dealer installed brush guard and fog lamps. Transport guy was wearing the same black socks at dropoff....... 5 days later. Schaweet.

Some close ups.....replaced the vented 1/4s with fixed ones from Jeepco

Interior.........

Bringing home the 87 4cyl 2wd I sold to brigarpeon. Like a little brother just tagging along behind his big brother LOL.

Cleaned up with some nice Canyons!! jamminz.gif (sorry the front pic is fuzzy)

Thanks Taz, yeah, I really like the color combo too, even the 80s maroon interior. I hope to have the lowers cleaned up and painted in the next few months and although I like the gray/"argent" (as they call it at the factory), I think I'm gonna do the bottom black and the same with the flares and molding. Eventually I'd like to go 2 tone and do the top black also and keep the garnet metaillic down the middle. I need to play with one of those photochop programs like you did when you did the blue/silver poll.

I just bought a Comanche! Before I wasn't allowed to have one because wife wanted a 4-door (my old XJ).

Well, in the end, I got rid of her and got a Comanche. :D

It's an 89', manual, 4.0l, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear, red, SWB. And it's about to get paint job after the rust is gone.

I will also try to get some rock bumpers if I can find them.

Just got to get rid of the camper shell and get a roll bar. Too bad really. THe topper [paint, etc...] is nicer than the truck, but I got a buddy who will fab me up a killer roll bar out of 3/16 on the cheap.

I look forward to contributing as much as possible to these forums. While I still want a CJ3 or CJ5, and I'm selling my TJ Rubicon, I have wanted a Comanche for the longest time and right now it's really the most practical solution for my life (and my Jeep love).

Cheers all.

• 1 month later...

I finally have pics to post of my comanche. It's a 91 Pioneer 4.0 4x4 auto with about 5" of lift and 33's. I didnt take any pics when I first got it, which I regret because it was ugly! It was green with a blue door, black front hood, fender, and header panel. The bed had roughly a 4"x10" rust hole in one side, and a few minor spots elsewhere, but the rest was surprisingly clean. It had horribly faded paint, a cap, and mis-matched wheels, but for $600 I had to have it! Plus it had only 90k one owner miles!

Anyways, within the 1st two weeks it needed a power steering pump, water pump, brakes and about one million other things. Once I got started there was no stopping and over time it got a lift, tires, ( still needs gears ), all the rust was fixed and finally paint. (the paint was a quick job from a friend) I could not find the original decals anywhere so I slapped on some sporTruck ones and called it a day. Ill probly start a build up thread, because like all jeeps, this one is far from done!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my MJ

1989 2.5l ax4 2wd. 20 mpg gonna go with a slight drop, and work on another 4.7l. gonna be a nice street truck. also considering a remote mount turbo. click for a bigger picture

and this is my 1991 XJ

4in lift, trimmed for 33"s, 4.7l stroker, 9" to go in the back soon, and possibly going up to a quarter elliptical setup in the rear with 35"s.

Here is my 89 4.0 Big ton long bed

125,*** miles

I'm the third owner, second owner was an older guy who took excellent care of it and the first owner was a company that sold it in the first three month of it's life.

Came with a huge folder full of every single receipt and record ever

Paid $2600, which is a lot but I think this one is worth it.

The rest you guys can tell from the pics.

I'm new to the site, just picked up the bare MJ body from bigworkskidoo and figured I'd join since theres a lot of good info on here. I'll be swapping all the parts from my current XJ on the MJ and also adding a cage to it before the interior goes in.

Made a little progress in the last year. Was sent out of the country for work for 8 months, so didn't get too much time to work on it.

Its currently dark green, gonna try to do some body work this weekend and put another fresh coat of paint on it.

Hello all, I'm a newby here .... to ComancheClub and to British Columbia (from UK originally). Here's some pics of our 230k km '86 2.8L V6 5 speed manual with 1000lb camper before I fitted the airsprings.....and fixed the intake airleak.....and replaced the front UJ's. Just need to weld up the rust holes in the floor and keep driving it. It's only our daily workhorse but I love it.

Couple of Q's for you guys in the know.....

Is it normal to have a minor gearbox rattle on these? And can anyone recommend a good replacement front fender? Something light that I can use for a tow and maybe mount a light duty winch on. The original has no where attach a tow rope!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my newused 86 Comanche. I believe its 100% stock, except for tires. I don't know if the push bar is factory, but I like it.

When I got it I drove to an autoparts to get oil and power steering fluid and then took these photos.

The windows were left down for unknown reasons, so the interior is really dirty.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

so what do you think?

• 1 month later...

New here, picked up this comanche a few months ago and have just been using it to get around as a DD. All stock for now, big plans for this upcoming spring/summer :thumbsup: . 4.0 Auto, D30/D44, under 125,000 miles.

-Adam

New here, picked up this comanche a few months ago and have just been using it to get around as a DD. All stock for now, big plans for this upcoming spring/summer :thumbsup: . 4.0 Auto, D30/D44, under 125,000 miles.

-Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this forum and wish i had found it awhile ago lol.

well i have a 1986 mj 4cyl 5spd 2wd. But will be going under the knife march of '09

for 4.0 and 4wd. I wheel at Haspin Acres in Laruel, IN.

Gettin ready to purchase a 1987 mj 4.0 4wd on 35s.

Will get some pics up as soon as i figure out how to do it.

Thanks

this one is my uncles iam gettin ready to buy from him. He built it and decided to get

another 4 wheeler. Never been wheeled.

Image Not Found

This is my daily driver right now dosent do to bad but its going under the knife next year

for a 4.0 and 4wd swap.

thanks for the help.

well i've never officially introduced my MJ, so here it is.

89 Eliminator

4x4 conversion, new paint

33x10.5 BFG M/T

6.5in lift, adj arms/tracbar, 4.10s

dana 44 detroit locker, 4.10s, SOA with 2wd leafs and RC lift shackles

custom winch bumper, rock rails, rear bumper, spare tire mount

rollbar out of dakota, line-x

Welp I'm new on here but not new to the jeep world haha. I'm a young kid at 17 but don't let my age fool you. Ive had jeeps for as long as I can rember and I build Hot rods from the ground up. I had and sold a couple of months ago a 1988 4.0 4x4 comanche with a 2" lift and 31s. l_a0017431e35b4af0a705b41c9d14a60e.jpg

Then I picked up a 1997 cherokee with a 6.5" lift and 35s l_498341c387304911b80c690f5a238765.jpg

and Now I picked up a sweet LWB 1986 Comanche with the crappy v6. Its rust free which is amazing for being in New York all its life haha. I'm going to be putting dana 44s front and rear with a 7.5" lift and 35in tires on it. I need to sell my cherokee first though :( for the cash to build this one haha l_eec7d69d5fe14a1b80a43cce049ff624.jpgl_8af52f800aed4b3c9c673ac01c38475b.jpgl_ff3bcc9b80734341aaa71557764624a2.jpg

i reckon i can introduce mine here as well.

87 jeep comanche longbed 4.0,aw4,231

6.5"lift front with re adjustable arms

SOA rear

34-10.50 LTB's

4.65 gears

8.8 rear lincoln locked

rusty's inverted-T steering

rusty's winch bumper

ghettofabbed rear bumper

fuel cell

Sorry, no wheelin shots yet of the new truck

1992 4.0L SWB - in process of 4wd conversion

Image Not Found

But here is my old blue truck (at least how it use to look)

Image Not Found

Everything suspension wise that was on the blue truck is now on the white truck.

Next is to transplant the freshly rebuilt 4.0L / manual valve body 42re / np242. It's a daily driver so I can't have it down for very long. Anyhow, what do you think?

here is my '86 comanche x. got it with no exhaust no brakes and a knock in the motor. Now its a a newer '94 2.5 out of a wrangler. 5spd is also about to go in for it. did a custom dual 2.5" cat back with some no name exhaust that it very load and about drives you out of the truck when you are on the highway. After that we just had to make a new bumper for the rear. got some 3" square stock and made that. made a cage around the plate to protect that and put the dual exhaust through the cage on either side of the plate. Now the only rust to be found on it was a little surface rust on the body which explains the paint job. plus it had to be different. Next was the 5" cherokee lift kit in the front with a soa in the rear. Sorry for the pics with the stock wheels and the 265 snow tires. (its been snowing all week here). But I've lost all my pics from this summer do to a computer crash. but I can tell you in the summer it ran on 31" xterains with cherokee sport wheels. Future plans for the next few cold months include a bronco 9" rear with a waggy 44 front. A 5spd. 4.10's. And i am currently looking for some decent 33"s to go on my new dc1 wheels.

sorry it so small it was taken on a phone. Haha got in trouble at school for this one.