Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted this in Projects (as I will be working on it), but probably should have started here.

Just recently bought this:

150589636-M.jpg150589651-M.jpg

The deal was pretty good (@$3K), so I went for it just to have a BajaBeater while I work on a dream vehicle. I've got close to a month to get it in shape for the Baja500, then I be stylin, big time!

It has four (count them four) different colors on the body panels (sort of an ad hoc camo motif), but we could find no signs of rust anywhere (gotta love these California vehicles).

There's a fair amount of good after-market suspension mods (Rusty springs in the rear, 4" Full Traction lift in the front, D44 in the rear from the Metric Ton option, SkyJacker shocks, JKS adjustable track bar) and a new clutch/pressure/flywheel. Very basic in-line 6 high torque motor (155# ± 5 in all six cylinders), a 5 speed trans/2 speed transfer case, and I've ordered a copy of the Haynes manual in Spanish.

The camper is @15 years old, but in good shape (needs some new screens, of course, but all the appliances including the beer fridge work).

I don't have a picture yet of my '88 Comanche but I will soon! I picked it up in South Bend for $2K about 3 years ago, a Pioneer 4X4 package shortbed with rollbar. It only has 85K miles on a 4.0 with 5 speed, she runs strong and only needed a coil and basic tuneup. It has some surface rust and a hole or two and a few dings, replaced back brake lines as well. This summer she goes into the garage for a makeover. I have already replaced the leaf springs due to to a broken spring, had a set custom made with an added leaf. No air or radio, has a bench seat, dark blue, just a beautiful truck. I wanted one back in '88 when I was stationed in San Diego so when I saw this one for sale I had to have it. Now I have to find some parts to fix'ur up. I aquired a set of "93 S-10 Blazer electric bucket seats that I want to install and now I need to find newer XJ parts for the project. I will try to get pictures tonight.

Jake in Indiana

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I've been posting messages in MJ projects and in tech, Figured I'd better introduce my MJ here.

Ok I picked it up last month, (laborday weekend actualy).

I had been looking for a Comanche, with a longbed for a bit. Finaly found one that suited my purposes,(well suited my budget actualy).

I traded a 1993 Jeep Wrangler for it.

The Wrangler had a bad 3/4 syncro gear, needed an exhaust and new brake lines. I don't think it had a straight piece of metal on it either.

Anyhow I traded for a 1987 Comanche pioneer with a longbed, 4.0L, 4wheel drive. The Truck came with a Cap for the Bed, which I will getting rid of shortly.

The one of the PO's had painted it, and painted over all the chrome trim :mad:

It's a little rough to look at, and needs work,but I'll have it road worthy soon enough.

jamminz.gif

To start it needs new parking brake cables, new brake lines to the rear, new brake shoes in the rear, and has a host of other little 'issues'.

I'm realy starting to love this truck though, inspite of how much work it needs. Seems that Jeep made a good one with these MJs, they are pretty simple to work on!

I've got a lot done so far:

Removed the bucket seats, carpeting and stupid foam, Wire wheeled the inside of the cab and POR15 in there. now am working on getting some patches welded into the cab floor.

Removed the gauge cluster and replaced it with the full gauge cluster, (mine had everything but the Tach so it was an easy swap).

Removed the Rear fender flares, wire wheeled and POR15, (gonna need to use some bondo on those spots).

Dropped the Gas tank, (gonna paint it, and POR15 the mounting straps)

I plan on removing the trucks bed so I can have better access to the trucks frame for repair/rust proofing, so that was mian reason why I dropped the gas tank.

Removed the Parking brake cable bracket from under the bed.

I picked up new parking brake cables at NAPA, but will install them after all the body work is done.

I started a thread in MJ Projects check that for updates on my progress

• 2 weeks later...

here is mine, it is an 88 with 42,000 miles on her. 2.5 4 cyl with a 4spd, and 2wd She has some typical Ohio rust, but that is to be expected. Right now I use her as a DD, but some day I would like to convert her to 4wd.

Nice to see a Comanche site.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased my first Comanche on June 26, 2007.

1988 Jeep Comanche "Sport Truck"

4.0L 192K mi

5spd

2wd (not for long though)

PO put a dana 30 under it but it has not been hooked up.

I have a D44 for the rear.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry no pic, but I own a 1986 MJ with a unknown 3 inch lift, the good old 2.8 v6 :bowdown: and 4x4 automatic long bed. It's got 31 inch dunlops mud rover's and a lightbar off a stepside chevy, cut to fit.

other then that the truck is all stock but once i figure out the pic thing i will post some.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would post a pic om my manche as it sits now.

I am building it up to meet SCORE and Jeepspeed Curry Cup specifications.

I plan to post in MJ projects once things come together a little bit more but I have this shot so I figured Id put it in here for now. :chillin:

2007%5C08%5C30%5Cbikepics-1008538-full.jpg

Also i would like to say thanks for all the help Ive received so far from the peeps of CC.com jamminz.gif

I've been lurking for a while and been getting a lot of advice from you guys but I didn't want to show my MJ until I had the rollbar done.

Mine is a daily driver and I don't have the money to use it as a toy so it's not jacked like the rest of yours but I like the look of it anyway.

1992 MJ 4.0L, 5 spd, 4x4, SWB

3" Skyjacker

Figured I would post here since I don't think I ever did...

I've been on NAXJA, Pirate, and many others for a long time.

I'm TJP on Pirate, TNTsXJ on the JeepForumand TNT on most of the other boards.

I was a Chrysler Master Tech for 15 years and now I'm a parts guy at an International truck dealer.

I just purchased JeepcoMJ's '89 MJ Pioneer, 4.0. Pukegoat 5 speed, 3.07 gears, rear D44 and 6"-10" of lift. I bought it without his 33" tires and the stereo.

I have a '94 and a '95 XJ that will be doners for this project. They both are 4.0 HO's with auto trannys and the '94 will supply the 242 transfer case. The '95 will supply the engine and transmission.

This is my second post here I think. My first was in a thread about what interchanges between the MJ and XJ.

Today was my week anniversary with my 1987 SporTruck. It's got the 4.0L and Command Trac. I always have wanted an Eliminator, but when I found this one with only 71K miles and local, I had to pounce on it. I hope to put in bucket seats, and if it's not too difficult, swapping in an instrument cluster with gauges would be nice. Bench seats and idiot lights aren't my cup of tea! If a console shifter is not too difficult to put in, I'll consider that, too.

I am the 5th owner. #2 inherited it from his father. #3 was a mechanic that had always told #1 he wanted it if it was ever for sale. It was nice the son remembered the guy. #4 bought it a year ago. From the looks of the oil I drained, it's a good thing he didn't have it for more than a year.

Owner #3 says it has a 4" lift and Dana 44s front and rear. (I spoke with him on the phone after I bought it.) He's also the one that put the 31" tires and winch bumper on it. A friend and an online ID guide have confirmed that the diffs are hardly Dana 44s. I don't plan to do any serious offroading, so that's not a big deal to me. My friend also said there's no way it's sitting on a 4" lift.

#3 said he never throws anything away. I am to call him back soon to see if he can find the original bumper. Hopefully he's got the springs and such he removed when it was raised.

This week it is getting a set of 235/75-15 tires and looked over at the dealer. There's an oil leak somewhere. I hate drippers. :( The transfer case has wetness on the bottom, but it has not dripped yet.

I think it has an exhaust leak. The engine is quiet idling and revved in park, but under load I hear a ticking. With my other cars, that's been more of a sign of an exhaust leak than lifters. The ticking is not too bad whatever it is. It passed my town's emission test the other day with flying colors.

As I said, I've wanted an Eliminator or Comanche of some sort for years. I am 34. When I was in junior high and high school, my mom sold Jeeps. I used to hang out at the dealer most weeknights. The sales manager would flip me a $10 bill, and that was my cue to make sure everything on the lot was locked. For a 14 year old, that was pretty cool! Half the salesman back then owned Comanches of their own.

We're not sure, but my mom may have actually sold this one when it was new. As soon as she saw the original owner's name, she could picture him and his son. She remembers the older one always dropping by to say hi anytime he was in for service. She always told him if he ever sold it to let her know. LOL

When I finished school in 1996, I got a '93 Grand Cherokee with 27K miles. In 2001 I bought a 2001 Trans Am, and at the time the ZJ had very low miles for its age and naturally the trade allowance was an insult. I just kept it for my mom. In late 2004, I checked on what kind of deal I could get on a '04 Grand Cherokee since the 2005s were about two weeks away, and once I knew my discount, I jumped on a blue Freedom with the 4.7L HO. As soon as I get a stock bumper on the MJ, I'll have all three pose for a family photo. :D

When I brought the Comanche home last Monday, I took some before photos. Then I hit the hood and tops of the fenders with 3M Perfect It III clearcoat compound. I got a ton of oxidation off. In direct sunlight, the paint still shows a lot of flaws, but I think with more buffing, I can get it looking better.

I'll add more pics as I progress with it. Thanks to the site owner/mod for creating this site and forum! jamminz.gif

http://www.widetrackdrive.com/carpics/c ... fore-pics/

http://www.widetrackdrive.com/carpics/c ... buff-pics/

With image 2879, you can see the outline of a leaf. There's several more on the hood you can see at the right angle. It must have sat for a long time with mess all over it!

Here's one you guys up North would love to get your hands on!!!

Original "FLORIDA" truck!! There is virtually no rust anywhere on this truck. A couple of small spots inside from not having a rear window but they cleaned right up. The underside was undercoated and is really clean.

I recently bought this from my Son as he didn't have time to mess with it after purchasing it.

PO had removed the seat, carpet & rear window :nuts:

Put a new fuel pump in and made it run!! :D

Tranny's shot!! :cry: Did a tranny - t/c swap and now it moves!! :D

Called a local jy and found out they had one to look at. Jackpot!! Got a seat, rear window, marker light and a "Monster" rear bumper!!

Put the seat & rear window in it. Now it's dry and I can see where I am going!! jamminz.gif

Need to clean up and repaint the bumper and then recruit some weightlifters to help install it. Will post pics.

Plan on licensing it soon and take it for a spin at speed to see how it rides and what else I need to fix.

Moving it around the yard, found out the rear wheels didn't fit over the axles so swapped the front to the rear and put a temporary set of jeep wheels on the front.

Plan on putting different wheels / tires on soon - 31 x 10.5's probably.

Will keep posting with progress / pictures.

Pics from when I finally got it to move.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Any Manche owners around Tampa, Florida??

Took along time to find this truck, is is bone stock except for the chromed rubicon wheels and abudget lift kit.

I won 1985-95 stock class show truck with it in june 07 at the Wind River 4x4 association Offroad show and rally.

Took a lot of time to get the paint back to shiny! It has 199.000 on the odo and still runs like a top! It spent most of its years towed behind a motorhome until I got ahold of it. LOL!

here's a couple pics.