• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was burgundy from a doner

where can i find a lock for this

1/4 inch ply wrapped in felt it had nothing when i bought the truck

bench out buckets and console in

body is next some rust but not bad the bumper is after market-stealerships suck

does the steering colum need to be dropped to remove the dash? My haynes book is not real clear on this.

oh i forgot i did change the interior color from plain tan to a gray back with frabric paint.

this was destroyed by 2 deer in 94 thankgod for bodyshops.

tires and wheels bought at swap meet not the best but better then the steelies

this is a work in progress but i want to keep it as close to stock as possible on the out side.

thanks to all of you posting your howto's so the rest of us can do it it with less hassle.

Darren's MJ here in Vancouver WA,

4.0 ax-15 dana 44/30 3.07's (for now)

3" lift 31" Cooper AT's

Header on the way

All new sound system

I'll post pics of my badass domelights soon.

Definitly a work in progress

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just got this truck today... 1990 MJ, 4.0 straight 6, 4x2. Stock everything (for now). Got it as a replacement for my Grand Am when it got totaled in an accident a month and a half ago, and I gotta say, I love this thing!

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

jeep4.jpg

jeep5.jpg

jeep6.jpg

Well here is our Comanche! I say ours buts its really my girlfriends truck. I have a TJ on 33's and she wanted her own Jeep to wheel with me. We found a 1 owner 1988 Comanche, 4.0L, auto, with 230,000 miles on it. Got it for $350! Had to put all new brakes and lines on it to make it safe.

Its got 4.5" cheapo coils up front, RE adj track bar, Rough Country sway bar disco's, Rough Country SS braided brake lines. Rear is just a basic SOA with a nice overload leaf and an exteded rubber brake line. Got rid of the rear prop valve and will be putting in an XJ one soon. All this riding on 32" race cut goodyear mt/r's, CORR racing around bark river, mi. and Crandon, WI...

There is a grand total of about $1300 into it, this includes everything from the purchase price, taxes, brake work, lift parts, all the way to the tires.

The day we got it!

2sbkbgw.jpg

After most of the work was done, this is with my 33" mt/rs on it. They proved to be a bit to big for the tired motor and stock gears.

33o6y5s.jpg

And some more recent pics:

2cnw50w.jpg

These are from this weekend, here you can see the 32" MT/R's cut for off road racing. Got the set of 4 with about 15 minutes of track time on them for $250.

4boctjm.jpg

451ia94.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My project truck. Figured I should post at least once since I've been lurking in the tech section for awhile. This is it as of a week ago, the gas tank and doors have been removed since. The bed is in good shape waiting for me to finish the 'frame' and the rest of the bodywork.

2006_1106Image0040.JPG

Hi Everybody . . . thanks for putting together this great site!!

I picked up this 1992 Jeep Comanche 2wd 4.0L about a year back for $1200. 154,000 miles and one female owner :) I use it to tow my boat around the Sac delta and around the bay. Just put on a set of Hellwig helper springs to weekend and it tows 100x better. I've learned a ton on the site already . . . thanks!! I've gotta say that these rust free cars in California are amazing!! Pickn'Pull out here is like heaven. I

P1010010_Medium_001.jpg[/img]

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/456d2f91ze173d988/vova2264/__sr_/32c8scd.jpg?pfZB.bFBEu8SbWlA

i don't know how to post photos, so here's a like to what my truck looks like..heh...

its a 87 comanche, 4.0L I-6(replace oringinal motor with a 89 jeep cherokee* same spec. just different yr.), 4x4, 5speed manual transmission, Lacarra package,3in. lift. 15in. wheels,...all oringinal from show room floor and still orginal owner.. don't know much more about it.

90 Eliminator

ax-15

np231

front leafs 4" YJ springs

springover rear with 2" fullsize chevy AAL's

around 8-9" lift total

J-10 axles

D44 front 4.88's and lockright crossover steering

AMC 20 rear 4.88's and no-slip

15x10 Eagles and 37x13.50 Claws

More here.

Well...the wife & I are long time YJ lovers and will always have one. We just bought the '88 MJ and are already in love with it too... :bowdown:

I am Brent... The wife is Tina... The MJ is "Mighty Joe" ;) :D (Tina named it). Anyway...here it is.

MJ1.JPG

MJ2.JPG

MJ3.JPG

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I thought I would see if I could post up a photo. I've got wicked slow dial up so it takes me a while to check out the web but I try when I can. My Comanche is an 87, I've got sort of a build up on my website (click here) and for some reason this has become my favorite photo. It was taken in the Gilbert ORV park in MN at the beginning of the lower Money talks trail. I even got it posted up on the Rough Country website. :D

Large-1987_Commanche.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all!

Glad to find a forum composed of people enlightened enough to favor the Jeep MJ. Here are a few photos of mine:

This is the Comanche as I purchased it: 1988 SWB, 4.0, 5sp, 120k miles, brutal bench seat, and sagging headliner. It did come with the D44 rear! It needed a few upgrades before it was of much good for its intended use.

Here is the same truck after Round 1 of upgrades: 5.5 Rubicon Express kit, SYE kit, 4.10 gears, an Electrac locker in the rear, 32x11.5x15 Goodyear ATS tires, reupholtered bucket seats from a donar MJ, a new headliner, a custom rear bumpber, and some custom tubework in the bed.

Since then, I have added a few more upgrades including a Tera High Steer kit, a TJ Rubicon D44 front, Warn hub conversion kit (5 on 5.5), Eaton E-locker in front diff, a MORE front bumper with 9000# winch, dual batteries, post '96 cooling system, and some MT 16x8 wheels wrapped with MT 285x70Rx16 ATX tires. I have swapped out the 5sp for an AW4 which entailed a harness swap also.

The truck is my daily driver but was built primarily for deep desert exploration/camping trips. A few shots doing what it does best:

As projects are never done, I am thinking 4.7 stroker, a custom flatbed to better accomodate my backcountry explorations, and some white paint to help keep things stay cool are in the future.

I am looking forward to this group's collective intelligence and general Comanche exuberance!

I haven't posted on this thread, but I thought it was about time since I have some pictures now. Here's my new MJ...

IMG_5451_smaller.JPG

And here's my old XJ (dead engine).

IMG_2896.JPG

I need a truck a lot more than a SUV now days, so I'm moving all the upgrades to the comanche. I feel bad, since the XJ looks so nice in that picture, but its a bit more rusty, dirty, moldy now for sitting around for over a year. I'll get over it.

Oh yeah, I have a little Zuk too. Daily driver.

after.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello gang my name is Johnny, I go by Johnny5. I just bought a 91 Comanchee it is a converted from a 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel it has a crappy 35 in the rear and the 30 upfront I hope to upgrade stuff soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've lurked around here long enough to find out this is the best place on the net if you own a Comanche. Here's the father and son project. It's a 88 four banger 2wd for now but in the next couple of months it'll be converted over to 4wd with a 4.0 and some new things here and there.

only a few spots of surface rust

clean underneath

Not to bad inside however buckets seats and a change of color will be soon

This truck may look familiar as it was listed for sale on here awhile back

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1949

I'm looking forward to me and the son fixin this up. I know I'll be askin alot of questions but I know this is the right place to ask them. :D