Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! For you that don't know my truck from JeepForum.com; I have a 1988 Comanche base model. 2wd, 2.5L, ax4

My plans: 4wd converstion, 5spd, lift 5in( probably will be the first thing to get done), 33's, stacks!....more to come when i figure out what i want to do. This is my project truck once i rebuild my car motor.

Pic:

Here is a Comanche for non regulated markets.

AMC 4 cil 150 CI. 4wd.

Carburetor Carter non feed back tagged 7806 s

no emission system.

1988 short bed

Dana 30 and 35 . 4.1 -1

NP 231 2,72 - 1

235/75/15

im0037088ig.jpg

Just found your site.......cool place for sure. Some sweet rigs on here. My MJ is an 88 short box. Started its life as a 2wd and I originally converted it to 4wd with a donor Cherokee......D30/D35/BA10/NP231. Thats when I got the bug to go bigger. Now my RIG has a modified RE super flex lift that totals 9". Other mods that I have done include a custom D44 HP Ford front axel , Custom Ford 9" rear , Both with 4.88's and a rear Detroit locker. AW4 swap with one of Brett's AW shifters. AA Heavy duty SYE. Custom drive shafts. Cherokee limited gauges/leather power seats/console etc. Custom tube bumpers F/R. 36x13.50 Swamper IROK's on 15x10 AR tailgunners.

Anyway....when I figure out how to post some pic's I will. And if Brett is reading this......I will let you know how the shifter works when the install is done. Cheers M357.5

Been looking for years to find a Comanche and I finally did. It’s an 89 2.5L SWB MJ. Not much to look at right now but I have a mild build up in the works. I own a small fab shop in Alaska and with the left over parts from other projects I should have about 5” of lift with under $1000 into the truck. I also have a 4.0L out of a 90 XJ that is being built into a stroker witch will find it’s way into the truck. I will be posting most of the build up here

http://www.holeproofindustries.com/our% ... ges/MJ.htm

as time allows me.

MJ%2003.jpg

Here is some pics of my 1991 Eliminator. 4.0 AX15 231

I have alot of time and money in this MJ. I have most of the work myself.

mods are as follows-

-TNT customs Y Link

-RE 7.5 coils

-Rockkrawler trackbar, bracket, and X Factor steering

-Rear SOA with add a leaf

-Added a lockrite to the dana 30

-8.25 29 spline with ZJ rear disk brakes

-33x12.50x15 boggers on 15x10 wheels

-Formatt Fabrication tube doors

-The list goes on and on

I ordered my TNT customs front bumper last week and my Ramsey 8500 lb winch showed up today. Soon as the bumper gets here it is off to the powdercoaters.

As soon as I figure out whats going on with my camera I will post up pics of the 88 I just picked up.

1990 Comanche Pioneer 4X4, shortbed, np231 transfer w 5 speed manual, 4.0L engine w/ 130,000 miles, Dana 30 front, 35 rear. Pretty much stock.

Notice the "flair side" bed- added this option straight from the factory. I also got the rust package thrown in for free.

jeep2.JPG

jeep1.JPG

jeep3.JPG

jeep4.JPG

90mj.JPG

I have no pictures of my Comanche, but here is the story of how I got it. I was at work and a customer called and asked if he could take a rear axle from a Comanche and put it in his Cherokee. I told him it was not a bolt in. He told me he needed a rear axle for his Cherokee, 89 auto. I had recently swapped in a set of 4.10 axles in my Cherokee and had the 3.55's in the driveway. I was going to put them behind the garage as spare parts. I was able to swap the rear axle for the Comanche. He had the transmission out of it and when I dropped off the axle, I got the title and the keys. I sent a wrecker the next day and after a lot of work, put it on the road. It is my daily driver. 4.0, BA-10, 231, SWB. I put on a set of 30X9.50R15's. It has about 100K, but the speedometer was not working when I got it. Replaced the cable, swapped in a Limited dash with guages and a tach. It shows about 165K on the clock. I tuned it up last week and the date code on the wires was 2/87. My gas mileage was getting bad so I decided to change the spark plugs, and everything else.

I got my second Comanche for free.

Comanches rule!

Here's mine ;)

http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1553&stc=1&d=1142826960

Specs:

*Leaves all around

*GM Dana 44 front with 5.38s, a Lock-Right, and Superwinch hubs

*GM 12 Bolt rearend with 5.38s, welded, and Blue Torch Fab diff cover

*Converted to an AW4 tranny

*37" MTRs on 17" Cragar steelies

*Twin-sticked Dana 300

*Samco Fab bomb-proof steering

*Boxed rockers

*On Board Air with 5 gallon tank

*Lots of dents

no pics.

1988 Comanche 2.5, 2WD, 5?spd, long bed.

also have 1990 Cherokee

4.0, AW4, 231, 3.55, etc.

Some plans are engine and trans swap.

and transfer case,

and front axle,

and regear to 4.88's,

for now.

Sounds like a lot of work.

Is that a start?

• 2 weeks later...

here's a few pics of this guys comanche down the street its AWESOME...

1992 4.0 h/o 5spd 4x4 sb i love it!! rumor has it that it will be for sale soon....iam all over it!...

i talked to him today about selling it..he wants $7,000 for it....its a cool truck but hes a nutcase haha

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

My baby and daily driver since 1998, a 1990 4x4 SporTruck. Nearly 100k miles on her, and the engine runs good. I usually cruise to work with my automatic tranny while other Jeep drivers look at my good-looking truck. It have both MJ Dana 30 and 35, no rust and recently painted. It wasn't easy, but I found a bed cover for this SWB bed and it looks awesome! I recently finished a bucket seats conversion and finally get rid off the bench (at last!!!). Pics will be posted soon. Also, a 3" lift kit is planned too...