Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

Bgred2...Nice looking rig...really clean! Give us the lowdown.

Have you ever noticed that everyone has a problem with the rear bumper...is it anyone that drives a MJ can't back up...something about just plowing ahead I guess.

1989 Comanche Sport that just turned 100k miles. I purchased it in July of 2007 with 93K on it. Since I bought it I have replaced coolant and temp sensors, cps, knock sensor, air temp sensor, map sensor, oxygen sensor, fuel pump, radiator hoses, t-stat, upgraded all battery wiring (Kelly's Works in Progress), vacuum harness, harmonic balancer, idler pulley, water pump, fan clutch, power steering pump, cat converter, rebuilt fuel injectors, oil filter base o rings, radiator surge tank (Macs Radiator), transmission mount and of course full tune up including new coil. Most of these parts were replaced just for general principle, not because of failure. It runs and drives like a new truck.

When I find a rear bumper that looks decent WITH a number plate on it, I will buy it. Till then I'm thinking of making my own.

When people ask if I would be willing to sell the truck, I tell them I would sell my wife first...............for less money too!

Interior.jpg

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

88 4.0 5spd 4wd

Prolly gonna give it some cheapo woods camo to cover up the dents and dings.

Drivers door doesn't open from inside or out. Fuel gauge doesn't work. No brake or turn signals. Power steering leak.

Traded a 69 Chevy for it and love it so far. And I haven't even gotten to drive it yet. (Not legally)

Well, it finally happened. After spending a lot of time contemplating the Brute conversion on a stock TJ as a Daily Driver, I picked up a 1992 Comanche. It has the 4.0 HO, AW4, 30/35, AC, PB, PS, and even a CD player. As far as I can tell, the truck has generally been untouched, just driven 185K miles.

This truck suffers from some minor body rot around the rear flares, needs a few new hoses, and the shocks were toast. I am trying to locate a 2door XJ to get the sheet metal out of out of it for some repair. Now I need to find a good body shop to do the work. Also need to get a factory style rear hitch bumper. My plan for this truck is to leave it stock and drive it for another 100,000 miles!!!!

The shocks had to be the factory shocks:

A shot with its sibling!

Thoughts, suggestions? ENJOY!

This truck suffers from some minor body rot around the rear flares, needs a few new hoses, and the shocks were toast. I am trying to locate a 2door XJ to get the sheet metal out of out of it for some repair. Now I need to find a good body shop to do the work. Also need to get a factory style rear hitch bumper. My plan for this truck is to leave it stock and drive it for another 100,000 miles!!!!

Love the truck, but good luck finding a decent bumper.

Love the truck, but good luck finding a decent bumper.

Looks like it's in real nice shape ! A good body shop shouldn't have a problem taking care of its' needs without a donor vehicle . If mine doesn't go 500,000 , I'll be :mad: issed .

Well I joined a while back & finally got my picts' loaded & hosted , so here it is!

This is my 1989 MJ Sportruck . 4.0 litre w/250,000 miles on the clock . AX15 5 speed stick , shortbed . 4X4 . Freshly repainted in the original color of "Spinnaker Blue" , less the funky graphics .

"Ol' Blue" is mechanically perfect with the original interior in just like new form .

Photos were taken at Joshua Tree National Park . :cheers:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I went out to the mailbox this morning & the latest edition of "Jp" magazine was in there . (April 2009 issue) , I brought it in the house , was flipping through it , & there it was ! On page 80 in the "Jeep Shots" , "Ol' Blue" ! :banana: It made the magazine ! :cheers:

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/login.php?a=pwd&u=7974&i=c20ff673ff5d9804f23007cf6d907216218b7ac3

here's a pic of my 87 Comanche. My dad bought it new back in 87 and now it has be passed down to me as my first car . She is all stock and i kinda want to keep it that way just because i grew up with the truck and lifting it and stuff would just ruin the connection i have with it. I will have more picks up soon thats the only pic i have on my new laptop till i transfer pics

I knew that truck looked familiar. Congrats! :clapping:

I sent Jp all the photos that I posted here & was kind of hoping that more of them would make it into the mag , but hey ! , it's a start ! ....I was also thinking that maybe we could get an article about the club in the mag & maybe even make the cover . :dunno: image_209027.gif

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/login.php?a=pwd&u=7974&i=c20ff673ff5d9804f23007cf6d907216218b7ac3

here's a pic of my 87 Comanche. My dad bought it new back in 87 and now it has be passed down to me as my first car . She is all stock and i kinda want to keep it that way just because i grew up with the truck and lifting it and stuff would just ruin the connection i have with it. I will have more picks up soon thats the only pic i have on my new laptop till i transfer pics

not working have to log in to see it

my poor stock 86 i4 2wd 4 spd. Plans on restoring it.. ( I work in a body shop ) but the truck is at my parents house in Illinois.. and I live in Alabama now.. So there enlies a problem.. I'm a little scared to drive it 11 hrs down here..she's only got 114k on the clock.. but the tires are shot I'm pretty sure.. anyways.. here a few pics of her.

:agree: Keep 'em all alive ! I've put a great amount of effort into keeping mine from its otherwise going to the boneyard demise . A friend of mine that I hadn't seen in years stopped by just the other day & his girlfriend was standing out front admiring "Ol'Blue" . Rewarding ? Yes !

BTW , Oldred87s' photo never posted . Whats up ? :dunno:

Can you have more that One???

Well.......some of you know......and alot don't......but I've been 'collecting' MJ's for the past 3-4 years........got into this bind after I bought my first one 7 years ago :oops:

And to make WahooSteeler happy.......well, almost......cause I couldn't get them all in one line.....

Yesterday made for #10 brought home :roll: Not counting the 3 that I've had to Part (with) in the shop (on shelfs) :roll:

So......I present-

So there's 10 MJ's (in 2 rows) '86 - '90 and couple XJ's throw in the mix ;)

That is my collection to date :doh:

And before you ask, Yes, One (the one with the plow lights) is on the road (my 2nd DD) and the rest are for parts, in the process of parts, or whole and in need of restoration :roll:

If time allows this spring.......a couple will be brought out of the snow banks and will be finished projects :D

And to make WahooSteeler happy.......well, almost......cause I couldn't get them all in one line.....

You know, I sure am glad people are finally starting to figure out how things works around here LOL! Hornbrod and SW2 have gotten with the program, now I can add you to the list. :brows: :yes:

That's a picture that's just fun to look at. Damn shame you live in the north and can't keep 'em out of the elements. Thanks for posting the pics for ALL of us. Me first though! jamminz.gif

I knew that truck looked familiar. Congrats! :clapping:

I sent Jp all the photos that I posted here & was kind of hoping that more of them would make it into the mag , but hey ! , it's a start ! ....I was also thinking that maybe we could get an article about the club in the mag & maybe even make the cover . :dunno: image_209027.gif

I saw this post when you put it up and then forgot about it. Then last week I was flipping through Jp Mag and I was like "hey, that guy is on CC!!!". Kewel. :thumbsup:

Finally got around to snapping some pics of my MJ. It's a 1992 Pioneer Metric Tonne LWB 4X4 with 1.75" spacers up front with new shocks, hardly any rust, full gauges, buckets, new tires, and chrome front end.

Wannabee pose :D

Hey guys! I'm a noob to this site. I have a 04 Nissan Frontier 2wd, and I recently came into possession of a 92 Comanche 4x4, Long bed, 4.0 HO with 106,000 on the odo. The wiring harness has been eaten through by rats in one spot so its gonna be replaced. With the exception of the wiring harness, its my understanding that the truck runs. I'll post pics when I can get some.