Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

This is what mine looked like when I lifted my carpet. lol

You're a darned liar! That picture must have been taken in 1987, maybe 1988! :D

Floors like that don't exist here in Ohio :(

They do in California well sometimes. lol

Prepping for Herculiner, which I believe is toughter and better than por-15, por-15 is just paint it might seal but paint remover lifts it right out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, here is my good running no rust $600 MJ.

I haven't checked the floorboards yet but I have to pull the seats anyway so i will check then.

I just bought it yesterday from my neighbor.

it needs the steering column tightened up, seats swapped out and acouple of seals and tires and a radio :-)

Newbie here, so 'spose might as well use this thread to introduce myself. Picked this up last weekend. I wanted a Cherokee, but needed a truck and the Comanche takes care of both pretty much. Took me about 2 months to find one I liked.

This is a 1988 4.0 5MT 4X4 with what the PO says is a 4" lift. I think it's a 3", but either way I'm pretty happy with it. 119K miles and I got it for $2K.

Had steelies and studded tires when I got it.

Owner also included the OEM alloys with 31"s so put those on a few days ago. Sorry for the bad quality, taken with my phone.

Love the forum, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon for you guys.

Newbie here, so 'spose might as well use this thread to introduce myself. Picked this up last weekend. I wanted a Cherokee, but needed a truck and the Comanche takes care of both pretty much. Took me about 2 months to find one I liked.

This is a 1988 4.0 5MT 4X4 with what the PO says is a 4" lift. I think it's a 3", but either way I'm pretty happy with it. 119K miles and I got it for $2K.

Had steelies and studded tires when I got it.

Owner also included the OEM alloys with 31"s so put those on a few days ago. Sorry for the bad quality, taken with my phone.

Love the forum, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon for you guys.

VERY nice. Assuming it's been in CA all its life and has no rust, IMO you got a heck of a deal. Low miles, lifted, long bed. How's the interior? What do you have for rear axle? And those OE turbine wheels look great. Total transformation with those and the 31s. More pics please! :thumbsup:

VERY nice. Assuming it's been in CA all its life and has no rust, IMO you got a heck of a deal. Low miles, lifted, long bed. How's the interior? What do you have for rear axle? And those OE turbine wheels look great. Total transformation with those and the 31s. More pics please! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

No rust (at least that I've found), and it's a CA car, but from the mountains (explaining the studs). Repaint at some point and no A/C which sucks (it will break 110 in Sacramento on a bad day, but I have two other cars).

Interior's decent. Center console needs to be replaced, vinyl bench is torn. Does have a nice tinted aftermarket slider, Arc Audio 6.5 coax and three MTX 10's in a box behind the seat though. Also has a locking toolbox, custom rack (which I'll probably remove), custom bumpers front and rear (previous owner was a welder by trade and did some good work).

I haven't even checked to see what axle it has. The Dana 44 was only on one tons though right? I'll assume it's the 35(?). I've been out of the Jeep world for 10 years so I'm a little rusty.

Will wash it and post some real pics this weekend.

Could still have a 44 even if it's not a Big Ton truck. Although, count your leaves, 4 is std and 5 (including helper) is the 1 ton. You could order a 44 or if it came with factory tow pkg it would have the 44. there are some guys on here who have installed a/c, not sure how much trouble it is. look under at your floorboards for rust or better yet, as Pete (site owner) strongly encourages, pull up your carpet. Great find! :thumbsup:

Well it's got the lift so the leaves would of been changed out. I didn't look but shouldn't there be a spec sticker on the door or glovebox? If not is the 44 marked (I'm assuming it's the same housing for both Dana rear diffs though).

I don't have carpet to pull up, but I'll yank out the rubber and check for rust! It's a pretty much base truck.

The lift could have been achieved by an add a leaf, so you could have 5 or 6 springs. Or, a combination of AAL, shackles etc., or a full aftermarket pack as you suggest. You'll just have to look. Easy way to spot an AAL as you probably know is it will be a straight cut on the end of the spring and same thickness as the rest of the spring. OEM with be rounded on the end and tapered a little thinner.

For the 44, it is more square whereas the 35 is more like a round pumpkin. It's a steady topic here so you can do a search and see pics of what each looks like. Keep us posted!

The lift could have been achieved by an add a leaf, so you could have 5 or 6 springs. Or, a combination of AAL, shackles etc., or a full aftermarket pack as you suggest. You'll just have to look. Easy way to spot an AAL as you probably know is it will be a straight cut on the end of the spring and same thickness as the rest of the spring. OEM with be rounded on the end and tapered a little thinner.

For the 44, it is more square whereas the 35 is more like a round pumpkin. It's a steady topic here so you can do a search and see pics of what each looks like. Keep us posted!

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I'm sure I'll need plenty more soon.

/\/\ It looks better then the front. :D

I'll post better pics of the whole thing this weekend. I'm also considering painting the f/r bumpers semi-gloss or satin black if I have time (which I rarely do).

ok, here is my good running no rust $600 MJ.

I haven't checked the floorboards yet but I have to pull the seats anyway so i will check then.

I just bought it yesterday from my neighbor.

it needs the steering column tightened up, seats swapped out and acouple of seals and tires and a radio :-)

For a time, I looked long and hard for a set of bed rails like you have there... Good looking MJ! jamminz.gif

CW

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I will start off with saying my name is Connor, I got my Jeep when I turned 16 it cost me $750. It is a 1989 and when I got it, it only had 75k miles on it. It is now up to 89k and is still running great. and this year i finally plan to try and mod it out or at least fix the rust spots and redo the inside. :P Well here she is:

jeepe.jpg

I plan to post more pictures but the only camera I have is on my phone (not so good). i would also like to fix the fist size rust hole under my door before more shots lol :P. And yes I was also happy with the small amount of miles on it when I got it. The lady I got it off of said it was her husbands, and he only used it to work on and around his farm before he died. I plan to use this site and others like it to mod it out :cheers:

Hi all this is my MJ I bought it a few months age, the bed was rotted really bad I ended up cutting out the rot and re built it (well my brother did I watched lol) I have owned an XJ for the past 11 yrs and am to the point I'm done fixing it (blown up tranny, fromt end need complete rebuild) so I'm going to put all my time and cash into the MJ. It is a 1989 4.0l auto with 85k original mi 6' bed, it is stock height with worn suspension but I still put my 32x10.50.15 on it, I only had to trim the flares and it doesnt rub the fenders but hits full lock, I have spacers on my XJ just need to get them off., the interior is really clean the body and under carriage is a different story it look like it went swiming in the ocean, I just started today stripping the XJ and hope to strip it clean in a week or 2.

hello. got my 1988 MJ last month. been working on it since. just getting it all set for inspection/registration and then fancy stuff later.

its got 2wd - the peugeot tranny, and a 4liter and its short box. i'll start a project thread tomorrow maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just joined in the fun. Lots of great info here.

Purchased my Comanche in 2007 for $400 off of the local Craigslist.

1987 base model, 158k, 2wd, 2.5, 4sp, 1" Rocky Road lift, chrome grille and light bezels, slim offroad lights bolted to the front bumper, painted and sealed tail lights, pink pinstripes on buttercup yellow, and power nothing.

When first purchased:

jeep1p.jpg

With Cherokee Limited wheels and 1" lift on front, prior to doing the rear:

jeep2x.jpg

Haulin' kids around the forest a few weeks ago near the Three Sisters in Central Oregon:

jeep3ohs.jpg

Hi all, just joined in the fun. Lots of great info here.

Purchased my Comanche in 2007 for $400 off of the local Craigslist.

1987 base model, 158k, 2wd, 2.5, 4sp, 1" Rocky Road lift, chrome grille and light bezels, slim offroad lights bolted to the front bumper, painted and sealed tail lights, pink pinstripes on buttercup yellow, and power nothing.

When first purchased:

jeep1p.jpg

With Cherokee Limited wheels and 1" lift on front, prior to doing the rear:

jeep2x.jpg

Haulin' kids around the forest a few weeks ago near the Three Sisters in Central Oregon:

jeep3ohs.jpg

Is that an 87? or is that an 86? :hmm:

Nice clean MJ BTW, welcome aboard image_209027.gif