so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

weirdly enough I kinda like to drywall.  the perfectionist in me really appreciates making flaws just disappear into the dust...  :D  I never said it was easy though.  kudos to the guys that can make it look great and not take all week like me. 

So we're almost done with the kitchen contractors other than the final punch list items which should be addressed in the next two weeks.  They dropped our range hood and dented the corner when installing the back splash so they ordered a brand new one to replace it.  They also forgot to order the drawers for the island cabinet they also forgot to order and they also messed up on drilling the holes for the hardware on another drawer so they just ordered a whole new one.  Everything on order is supposed to be in late next week so I hope they'll get it all installed the week of Feb 15 so I can be done with them.

In the meantime we've basically moved everything into the new kitchen.  My wife and I finished the flooring in the dining room area this past weekend so we just have trim and lighting left to do in order to complete that.  I expect we'll have that done by the end of Feb since we are both working full time and not from home - basically just have the weekends to get stuff done.

Overall it's a huge improvement and although it was very expensive and we hit a lot of bumps along the way this new space is going to be the central point of the home.  A functional kitchen and gathering spot where we can easily entertain family and friends for years to come.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Just now, neohic said:

Digging’ the green. :L:

Thank you, Sir.  Our contractors were very skeptical of the color at first, but once they got the cabinets installed they started taking a bunch of pictures to use for their own ads on social media....I guess they liked it?

Not exactly a groundbreaking project, but my garage door seal was destroyed, so I fixed it. I haven't been working on much of anything recently, but it's a start. The electronics lab is in the garage and there's no heat, so every little bit of airtightness helps.

I've got some insulation to put on the back side of the door and some rubber flaps for the outside - hopefully that'll make it a little less frozen in there.

y18lHBXl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kitchen contractors are 99% complete.  They owe us a new drawer face and it should be coming in within a week or two.  Once they get that installed I'll stroke them their final payment check and be done with them forever.

We still have some work to do before we can call it complete - door and window trim, molding, floating shelves and other odds and ends.  The kitchen is currently 100% useable and has become the most heavily used room in the house when the family is awake.  I think it turned out great and the finishing touches will be icing on the cake.

IMG_0556.JPG.4288d9c58589beead5006ca8f6d3ea08.JPG

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

looks fantastic!  :bowdown:

pretty sure your island has more square footage then the floor of the kitchen in my old house.  :drool: 

Older houses like mine are strange.  I have tiny bathrooms and the bedroom closets are laughably small, but our kitchen and living room are MASSIVE.  Different priorities back then, I suppose.

37 minutes ago, derf said:

I'm having difficulty motivating myself to do all the sanding I need to do so progress has slowed on my basement unfortunately.

Your kitchen looks great though.

I'm never in a hurry to sand. needs to cure so doesn't crack.  :popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on my powder coating oven build lately.   I bought the main components at ReStore about a year ago and as we were in a semi lockdown I finally got going on it.   I started with an in wall oven and an office cabinet that's about the size of a 4 drawer file box.   The internal dimensions are 24" W x 18" D x 48" H.   Up next is to complete the wiring, attach the door, insulate it and skin it with 20g galvanized sheet ... then learn how to powder coat.  :laugh:    I have lots to do yet but here's where it stands ...

Oven - 1.jpg

Oven - 13.JPG

Oven - 25.JPG

Oven - 23.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

First post in the pub, but just finished the master bath remodel.  Apparently the people that flipped our house before we bought it never hooked up the master tub drain so all of our shower water was just dumping into the crawl space for about 3 yrs and we had a major leak in the control wall soooo....gut job it was.  You can see the quality electrical work they did as an example.  Floor joists look worse in the pictures than they actually were but repaired that area while I was in there as well as new PEX lines and lighting.  Been working various construction trades part time off and on for years (full time firefighter) so the only thing I had someone else do was install the shower glass today. Turned out ok, looks good from the doorway anyway :laugh:

PXL_20201115_234107045.jpg

PXL_20201210_202115922.jpg

PXL_20201210_202705938.jpg

PXL_20201210_222427772.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201230_003023032.jpg

PXL_20201230_003038207.jpg

PXL_20210106_233546526.jpg

PXL_20210112_031627532.jpg

PXL_20210331_175425232.jpg

PXL_20210331_175506669.jpg

6 minutes ago, jeepmjga said:

First post in the pub, but just finished the master bath remodel.  Apparently the people that flipped our house before we bought it never hooked up the master tub drain so all of our shower water was just dumping into the crawl space for about 3 yrs and we had a major leak in the control wall soooo....gut job it was.  You can see the quality electrical work they did as an example.  Floor joists look worse in the pictures than they actually were but repaired that area while I was in there as well as new PEX lines and lighting.  Been working various construction trades part time off and on for years (full time firefighter) so the only thing I had someone else do was install the shower glass today. Turned out ok, looks good from the doorway anyway :laugh:

PXL_20201115_234107045.jpg

PXL_20201210_202115922.jpg

PXL_20201210_202705938.jpg

PXL_20201210_222427772.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201230_003023032.jpg

PXL_20201230_003038207.jpg

PXL_20210106_233546526.jpg

PXL_20210112_031627532.jpg

PXL_20210331_175425232.jpg

PXL_20210331_175506669.jpg

You need to go back to seller or your real estate person and collect some money back for your expenses for repair. they are still liable for gross neglect. just saying. 

looks great now. you did an awesome job. :applause:

installed a 22,000 lumen industrial LED lighting fixture above my mom's washer/dryer.  :cool:  the previous florescent fixture (12k lumens?) was trying desperately to burn the house down so it had to go. 

and yes, I installed a dimmer switch for it. :D