so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

there's a whole in my roof, dear liza, dear liza...

got the hole cut and the roof flashing installed today.  tomorrow we start assembling the stack and building its supports.  if all goes well, I might even haul the stove outside for it's first fire! :D  (I'm told it might stink a lot on the first blaze so we're doing that outside)

20210103_202851.jpg

and back to square one.  after several flame burnouts, I've found that the thermostat lever isn't actually connected to the air intake damper.  so I stuck a stick in the back to hold it open and we'll carry on with this burn and later on I'll diagnose why the linkage isn't attached.  :fistshake2:

sooooooo glad I did this first fire outside! 

23 hours ago, derf said:

Measure a couple of times, figure out you're using the wrong assumption, measure again, then cut...

PXL_20210105_023938420.jpg

Very nice!  I wish the "professionals" we hired for my kitchen cared enough and took their time to measure out all of the drywall cutouts like that.  Instead I've got drywall cutouts that look like they used their teeth, fist or a combination of both.  I've complained about it in two e-mails and once while the guys were working and they promised to fix it each time.  Still nothing, but my wife kept telling me they're probably going to get to it eventually so I backed off. 

Well we came home today and my wife found they just screwed something else up and she got very angry and has been on the phone with them for the past hour.  I wish them the best of luck with her...they woke up a sleeping bear.

20 hours ago, Pete M said:

it's alive!!!  the first break-in fire has been started.  :D 

20210105_115834.jpg

Pete, your flue looks enormous...is that an 8"?  If so, it must be an older stove, right?  I was thinking that stove manufacturers only build 6" flues these days because of EPA rules.  Was wondering if I'm wrong.

I've use an old Timberline stove that my Dad bought when I was 5 years old.  It's my primary heat source in the Winter.  Double-door with an 8" flue, this thing is a beast.  I load that sucker before bedtime and chock the piss out of it and always awake to a warm house each morning.

Here's my small project that's got me all giddy, my first AR-15 build.  Just got the lower parts kit in last night and spend a blissful couple of hours working on getting my lower receiver assembled.  Its been fun awaiting for parts to come in.  I spend a lot of time these days tracking FEDEX, UPS and Amazon.  

I've got time to decided for now, but I'm leaning towards a.50 cal upper receiver when the time comes (and the budget permits).  Three weeks into it now and I already hate to think that this project will probably end in another 3-4 weeks.

ar15.jpg.669406303022afd30ab132a4a4cc5a55.jpg

45 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Pete, your flue looks enormous...is that an 8"?  If so, it must be an older stove, right?  I was thinking that stove manufacturers only build 6" flues these days because of EPA rules.  Was wondering if I'm wrong.

I've use an old Timberline stove that my Dad bought when I was 5 years old.  It's my primary heat source in the Winter.  Double-door with an 8" flue, this thing is a beast.  I load that sucker before bedtime and chock the piss out of it and always awake to a warm house each morning.

it's a 6", but triple wall so the outer diameter is a tick over 8".   what you see is just a leftover piece that I used outside on the deck.  :L:  when I get it back inside the house it will have regular 6" up to the ceiling where the triple wall takes over for the rest of the journey.

• Pete M changed the title to so what projects are you guys/gals working on?
  • Pete M changed the title to so what projects are y'all working on?

looks professional, Jessie  :L: 

the one semester I had wood shop was the same semester that the roof leaked at that end of the building and we weren't allowed to use any power tools. :(  I made a small jewelry box and a couple photo frame things.  :doh: