so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

My wife and I decided to do a "quick" kitchen remodel once our offices finally shut down for a month and we were both working from home.  Was supposed to be a quick jobber - rip down the ugly tile drop ceiling, repaint the cabinets and refinish the countertops.  Maybe get a new oven and fridge and call it a day.  Once we ripped the ceiling down and found some hidden structural issues, things kind of spiraled out of control.

The new remodel consisted of gutting the kitchen, knocking down two walls and getting all new cabinets, appliances, flooring, electrical, the works...

DkyB6hVPAz7aTf1_VWgZCUJaCTS_aPseBM00mdEGVKkBj_9DPkIP_4xghr5QBHgcU4aLVZlwbexUzEX2eurSqh_bUVjXBiuI-gGOk3iXV1w0vLHlo0K3S6y5GfTnnBKwe_VKOCE0snlmrW_J6z6nTDpjsFMPc5sdkQQyg3ZpPw9Aqv7_J9qmT4PrlMXp06sCBMzlZUdCv1Tx59VJhu19z_Rmghxj6nWy8pZmGj4QhH5KjUfIvGY5Y3j8LiqTQP3A92K82Cu6zKX4Yfs_18JfjmdTVrT_HAlui-6ySj9LGvUJIlTzqTm-u9N2H_XRmipG01zYw62xp-jNBt-vgUPhzX4rXX6roTS30dHpuQMFu7Co9plJMkfVMLa9b14RQMBYKJtA50QE7u7b9EqlZR8FZwSx6rRSJfApKN7Nxldgm7N4qVOO8Ax60gLi5BKdqiJlEXGDkKeNv3r6R7smPz0aiOSdureoAmzhKrIllEzGTLaUtzLQgBzkx3oEU2rsdmfKrI7ZnjHlQLPFFaaP6j39xjkgW695YN_BJPgk4udgAKo_jvRybkhqP6CA5N9h3Q465apFUk6n8khkXArlfUmb4XRqBqB3XN63UfDLzf_2Sl2xsVhFZHE_gaElLY26QnwmS-thWzNX_1AqxeMQNr9T05klPVlDfKr-f5Uit7q1J6_u5SBDN1q89hPi=w895-h1192-no?authuser=0 

The more we pulled back, the more issues we found.  We're currently in the process of trying to level the floor.  It has been challenging but I think we'll have the majority of the floor sorted out by this weekend.  80 year old house + multiple additions + shoddy craftsmanship = a nightmare for me and my wife.  Ideally, I would have liked to rip this room down to the joists and start over, but that would have cost us way more time and money.  

It's getting there slowly and the end product is going to be life changing.

7 minutes ago, terrawombat said:

My wife and I decided to do a "quick" kitchen remodel once our offices finally shut down for a month and we were both working from home.  Was supposed to be a quick jobber - rip down the ugly tile drop ceiling, repaint the cabinets and refinish the countertops.  Maybe get a new oven and fridge and call it a day.  Once we ripped the ceiling down and found some hidden structural issues, things kind of spiraled out of control.

The new remodel consisted of gutting the kitchen, knocking down two walls and getting all new cabinets, appliances, flooring, electrical, the works...

DkyB6hVPAz7aTf1_VWgZCUJaCTS_aPseBM00mdEGVKkBj_9DPkIP_4xghr5QBHgcU4aLVZlwbexUzEX2eurSqh_bUVjXBiuI-gGOk3iXV1w0vLHlo0K3S6y5GfTnnBKwe_VKOCE0snlmrW_J6z6nTDpjsFMPc5sdkQQyg3ZpPw9Aqv7_J9qmT4PrlMXp06sCBMzlZUdCv1Tx59VJhu19z_Rmghxj6nWy8pZmGj4QhH5KjUfIvGY5Y3j8LiqTQP3A92K82Cu6zKX4Yfs_18JfjmdTVrT_HAlui-6ySj9LGvUJIlTzqTm-u9N2H_XRmipG01zYw62xp-jNBt-vgUPhzX4rXX6roTS30dHpuQMFu7Co9plJMkfVMLa9b14RQMBYKJtA50QE7u7b9EqlZR8FZwSx6rRSJfApKN7Nxldgm7N4qVOO8Ax60gLi5BKdqiJlEXGDkKeNv3r6R7smPz0aiOSdureoAmzhKrIllEzGTLaUtzLQgBzkx3oEU2rsdmfKrI7ZnjHlQLPFFaaP6j39xjkgW695YN_BJPgk4udgAKo_jvRybkhqP6CA5N9h3Q465apFUk6n8khkXArlfUmb4XRqBqB3XN63UfDLzf_2Sl2xsVhFZHE_gaElLY26QnwmS-thWzNX_1AqxeMQNr9T05klPVlDfKr-f5Uit7q1J6_u5SBDN1q89hPi=w895-h1192-no?authuser=0 

The more we pulled back, the more issues we found.  We're currently in the process of trying to level the floor.  It has been challenging but I think we'll have the majority of the floor sorted out by this weekend.  80 year old house + multiple additions + shoddy craftsmanship = a nightmare for me and my wife.  Ideally, I would have liked to rip this room down to the joists and start over, but that would have cost us way more time and money.  

It's getting there slowly and the end product is going to be life changing.

:redx:

Yeah, some kind of "googleusercontent" link.  Can't see the picture or video.

This board software doesn't like linking to other pages for images for some reason. :(

I was able to put in a couple of boxes and get the splices covered.  I also put a cover on the other box that I didn't show in my picture above.  Still not 100% to code but at least the splices are properly covered and secured.

This was a definite remodel by the previous owner.  What used to be the garage is now a big living room and the wall between is now gone.  There's tons of evidence of what used to be there.  There's also another house on the block with the same floor plan that's still in the original configuration for comparison.  You can tell the original owner just pulled the wires back from the outlets on the wall that was removed and just spliced the wires together to keep the other outlets in the circuit fed.

I wonder how this work passed inspection but somehow it did.

7 minutes ago, derf said:

Yeah, some kind of "googleusercontent" link.  Can't see the picture or video.

This board software doesn't like linking to other pages for images for some reason. :(

I was able to put in a couple of boxes and get the splices covered.  I also put a cover on the other box that I didn't show in my picture above.  Still not 100% to code but at least the splices are properly covered and secured.

This was a definite remodel by the previous owner.  What used to be the garage is now a big living room and the wall between is now gone.  There's tons of evidence of what used to be there.  There's also another house on the block with the same floor plan that's still in the original configuration for comparison.  You can tell the original owner just pulled the wires back from the outlets on the wall that was removed and just spliced the wires together to keep the other outlets in the circuit fed.

I wonder how this work passed inspection but somehow it did.

if inspector can't see it then it will pass. 

Construction has begun.

I decided to build in extra support for the TV wall mount.  The cross supports are double deep so I can install the mount with eight 4" lag screws.  The framing ties into spreaders between joists above and we set concrete pins into the footer.  This wall ain't going anywhere any time soon.

PXL_20201231_174441620.jpg

PXL_20201231_184532035.jpg

PXL_20201231_211818392.jpg

Here is a shot looking from the other wall.  You can see on the floor in the center of the picture that there used to be two walls that separated these rooms so there was an isolated kitchen and dining room with a weird hallway that separated them.  We decided to knock those down as much as we could to open it all up.

PXL_20201216_205714084.jpg

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

ahhh, what a glorious blank canvas :D 

Yes and no.  Yes in the sense that we stripped it down so much that we could do anything we wanted.  No in the sense that we can do anything we wanted and my wife is very indecisive.  The planning stage was exhausting...

22 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

oh man you gots some work ahead. indescribable the things we get ourselves  into. whatever keeps the fe fes happy i reckon. :laugh:

Well, we did hire a Kitchen remodeling contractor to handle most of the work since my wife and I are back in the office full-time and have two toddlers - not exactly a great recipe for getting the work done in a hurry.  The contractor we hired painted a perfect picture of how he would complete all of the necessary work to our upmost satisfaction.  Good salesman, I suppose, because we bought it.  Early into the project we realized that, despite past promises and clear line items in the scope of work, they were not going to properly address some ceiling joist sagging issues as well as issues with a very unlevel floor.  The proposed methods of correction during the quotation phase did not match the actual work that was performed.  Angry phone calls were made and follow-up emails were sent to create a documented paper trail.  Eventually an agreement was made where they would only handle the kitchen stuff and my wife and I would find the proper people to handle the structural stuff.  Luckily my father-in-law has been a home remodeling contractor for longer than I have lived and is now retired so he has been doing all of the work that the "Kitchen guys" could not.

Not that it's all the original contractor's fault.  He saw the space with the ceiling and walls ripped out, but he never got to see what was under the tile floor since we did not have that torn up when they came to quote the job.  We all assumed it was just some tile over subfloor and it would need some leveling here and there, but nothing major.  Once we tore it up, we found a freakin' mess.  Basically decades of poorly-constructed additions on top of multiple layers of flooring that was all covered up by floor leveler and tile.  Once we pulled all of that out we knew this was a lot more than any of us bargained for.  

So, we hired a guy last week to come in an fix the sagging ceiling joists so that's one thing we can check off the list.  My father-in-law has spent the last couple days trying to address the floor.  He has maybe a day left and I think we'll be at a point where we can use minimal floor leveler to get everything perfect.  It kind of all worked out in the end since our cabinets delivery has been delayed by an additional two weeks (seems par for the course for building materials in 2020) so it opened up some time to get some of these items addressed properly.  Hoping that work can restart next week for project completion by the end of January.  It sucks not having a kitchen...

9 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

yes where you  make food is very important. everyday hang out place can put a big kabosh on the whole routine thing. sorry to hear of your troubles. shall be great when finished indeed. :beerchug:

We turned our open side porch/patio area into a fully enclosed four seasons room.  I think the work began spring of 2018 and we just completed it summer of 2020.  When you don't need a room you can certainly take your time!  Funny thing is that four seasons room is now the most used room in the house!

• Pete M changed the title to so what projects are y'all working on?