so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

9 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Hickory is my first guess.  Maybe a natural-grade Maple or Cherry/Alder is my second guess.

Nice work, dude.

Thanks! alder with wipe on poly finish (wish I went lacquer)  It was the cheapest option they had and I messed up enough it was worth it lol. :roflmao:

made this thing in woodshop last semester 
IMG-0655.JPG.8fd9007e130b7e365895a02057819c7e.JPG
Y'all still have wood shop. They haven't had that in my area for 20 years. I had Ag Mechanics. Learned how to weld and work on farm machinery. Sadly that's gone as well.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

1 minute ago, tugboat95 said:

Y'all still have wood shop. They haven't had that in my area for 20 years. 

yeah they do actually. the highschool I am at is I think the only one in the state that has it I am pretty lucky

5 hours ago, Jesse J said:

made this thing in woodshop last semester 

IMG-0655.JPG

That looks really nice!

I am so jealous of people who’ve gotten to take woodshop. My school took it away right before I was able to get into it. 

smart man :D 

don't forget about the paper trick.  take some loose leaf (and scissors) and tape it to the wall and to each other to make a template and then pull it from the wall and set it on the drywall.  easy-peesy :D 

So my wife and her father worked Friday night and all weekend to get our kitchen floor as level as we could.  There was a lot of cursing, a couple arguments and a threat of my father-in-law walking off the job (he's doing all this work for free so I wouldn't have blamed him if he did), but we got it done.  The floor is as level as we could get it.  There is a 3/8" deviation from one end of where the cabinets will be to the other, but that is a huge improvement over the 1-1/2" it was before we started!

The contractors I am actually paying will be at my house every day this coming week installing the cabinets and our quartz counter tops.  If all goes well the electrician will be back Friday or Monday to finalize all of the appliance connections so that those can all be installed next week.  After that, it's backsplash, flooring and trim.  We're getting closer to having a kitchen!

PXL_20210111_005654049.PANO.jpg

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

1 and a half inches?!  that's a downhill slalom for a kitchen!  :eek:

Well, the tile floor that we pulled up was installed on top of 3/4" subfloor that was shimmed to all hell so it was relatively level to begin with, but once we tore down the floor to the original joists we found the floor to be1-1/2" out of level.  We fixed it as best we could without ripping out the joists and starting from scratch...

30 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

Why was it out of level?

A combination of factors.  The original portion of the house is 80 years old and has experienced decades of foundation settling.  The now-kitchen area was part of two separate home additions over the last 40-50 years and they were poorly done.  To be honest, I'm not sure if the floor was even level when it was brand new.

Cabinets were delivered this morning and some were installed.  Unfortunately the kitchen contractors have had the cabinets in their shop for two weeks and never bothered to do a full inventory check.  We're missing an entire section of our island so that had to be reordered and won't be in for another two weeks, so more delays.  The bigger problem is that my wife doesn't like the stain color that was used on the island cabinets as it's much lighter than the sample we selected from.  More drama, but at least the wall cabinets are to her liking so we can get all of those in for now and actually get a sink, dishwasher and oven back in service and be somewhat functional again.

My project is a bit different.   My twin brother and I have been working on a rotary valve engine head for a 99 BMW 328is.  To put it simply, we replaced the stock engine head with a custom built design that utilizes rotating valves to time the intake and exhaust instead of poppet valves.  

It runs alright.  We are presently modifying the timing to reduce the aggressiveness as we over did it in the initial go around with timing that would be at home in a NASCAR engine.

32 minutes ago, terrawombat said:

Unfortunately the kitchen contractors have had the cabinets in their shop for two weeks and never bothered to do a full inventory check.  We're missing an entire section of our island so that had to be reordered and won't be in for another two weeks, so more delays. 

that's completely unacceptable.  like "I want a discount" levels of unacceptable.  :fistshake2:

On 1/11/2021 at 10:39 PM, Pete M said:

that's completely unacceptable.  like "I want a discount" levels of unacceptable.  :fistshake2:

We negotiated some out-of-scope work to make up for the oversight and additional delays.  I now have a fancy new door that goes into my laundry room!

On 3/18/2020 at 3:35 PM, Pete M said:

I'm unfortunately 750 miles from the projects I'd like to be doing in georgia, but in the meantime I'm helping my cousin deal with an entire oak tree's worth of logs.  :D

today we put down the fabric and assembled the racks, but the rain is upon us so the splitter rental will have to wait til the weekend.

20200318_142438.jpg

20200318_142418.jpg

Smart move on the fabric. I wish I did that. The mulberries came back along my fence which took me 5 years to fight off. I think the birds like planting their business there just to torture the dog and me.

4 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

sweet. i like the layout. love the cast iron heater, hard to come by these days. :nutherround:

The farmhouse I grew up in (built in the 1850's) also had them. 

When we were looking for houses to buy back in 2011-2012 we must have toured at least 50 different places.  Our house was the only one we looked at that had the old cast iron radiators in every room.  I knew then we had found our house.  Bonus was that the PO had just upgraded the boiler system to a high efficiency gas unit. 

Unfortunately it just doesn't get that cold anymore to really need to use them.  We also have two heat pumps that are able to deal with 95% of the winter days in MD.  I think we use the radiant heat maybe 3-6 times/year, but it heats the house up in a hurry and they are great instant drying racks for wet clothes.

winter without the windows open is no cozy winter. :teehee: i love wood heat and a old farm house is a home. cold winters here and wood heat means open window winter nights are the best sleeping conditions. however so just thankful for the warmth no matter the forms. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

winter without the windows open is no cozy winter. :teehee: i love wood heat and a old farm house is a home. cold winters here and wood heat means open window winter nights are the best sleeping conditions. however so just thankful for the warmth no matter the forms. :rolleyes:

We have a traditional fireplace that had a wood stove insert when we first moved in.  I remember filling that up right before bed and you're not kidding...had to open the windows in the bedroom to regulate the temp.  I loved it.  My wife, not so much.  We sold the insert a few years back and haven't really used the fireplace since.   I miss it.