so what projects are y'all working on?

Pete M

9 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

Yep, know a few people that get stuck fighting soap scum. When I redid my master we put in all new glass. I applied a hydrophobic coating to it and we squeegee it after and it's been fine. Have to reapply the coating about once a year but way better than the chemicals.   

That's a pretty smart way to do it! I should do that lol.

built a giant cardboard fort for my adopted niece and nephews on their back porch. :D  unfortunately I don't have pics of the finished product (and it has since been recycled now that school has started), but it had 4 rooms plus a closet.  the li'l guy is short enough to just walk in.  :laugh:   they already have bigger plans for this winter (I've been challenged with making a second story :thinking:) so I guess I gotta score some more boxes by then. 

making some core memories here.  :grinyes: 

the star wars blanket is the front door

IMG_20230621_123131_143.jpg

IMG_20230621_122857_932.jpg

IMG_20230621_123307_317.jpg

IMG_20230621_123056_837.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

built a giant cardboard fort for my adopted niece and nephews on their back porch. :D  unfortunately I don't have pics of the finished product (and it has since been recycled now that school has started), but it had 4 rooms plus a closet.  the li'l guy is short enough to just walk in.  :laugh:   they already have bigger plans for this winter (I've been challenged with making a second story :thinking:) so I guess I gotta score some more boxes by then. 

making some core memories here.  :grinyes: 

the star wars blanket is the front door

IMG_20230621_123131_143.jpg

IMG_20230621_122857_932.jpg

IMG_20230621_123307_317.jpg

IMG_20230621_123056_837.jpg

Very cool!

I had some pretty fond memories of the cardboard tube Halloween haunted tunnel from my local primary school. Thinking back, it was such an excellent expenditure of time and money by the parents and teachers. Free fridge boxes. String, rubber balls, random plastic figurines etc...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dead tree has been obliterated. :D  leaning a bit too much towards the house for my nerves (I'm not a lumberjack, I just pretend to be one now and again :laugh: ), so we paid a crew to fell it and lop it into rounds and this weekend I rented a splitter and my nephews and I took it from there.  should be plenty of wood for a GA winter.  the official wood rack is a double row and I still had enough to create a 3rd wall in the treehouse. 

IMG_20231105_163046_333.jpg

IMG_20231105_163012_621.jpg

IMG_20231105_162939_919.jpg

18 hours ago, Car Enthusiast said:

Finally after about 10 years of running around with my Detours bumpers just in primer for my XJ I finally got it powdercoated. Now I just need to get time to reinstall the rear and actually install the front. 

20231101_130427.jpg

Detours Backbone..? Haven't seen one of those in years.

Would you sell the front assembly?

On 11/6/2023 at 12:37 PM, DesertRat1991 said:

Detours Backbone..? Haven't seen one of those in years.

Would you sell the front assembly?

I actually have Mark's frame sliders also. He modified them for me to run my long arms. The sliders act like frame stiffeners also and got rid of a ton of noise from the XJ. Wish he was still in business

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 9:18 AM, Car Enthusiast said:

I actually have Mark's frame sliders also. He modified them for me to run my long arms. The sliders act like frame stiffeners also and got rid of a ton of noise from the XJ. Wish he was still in business

Yah, I contacted him a few years ago, after he relocated to Maine, to ask if he would do another run and he declined.

That said, this place is awesome.  Another one turned up!  It's 1/3 the weight of my current winch bumper, provides better approach angle than a front mounted hitch and doesn't require cutting our front fenders.  I have no problem slotting an easily replacable bumper cover but fenders are off limits.

It really is a shame this solution is out of production. *cough* @krustyballer *cough :))

20231120_125248.jpg.37670144ec127738527199c286d58b3e.jpg

19 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Yah, I contacted him a few years ago, after he relocated to Maine, to ask if he would do another run and he declined.

That said, this place is awesome.  Another one turned up!  It's 1/3 the weight of my current winch bumper, provides better approach angle than a front mounted hitch and doesn't require cutting our front fenders.  I have no problem slotting an easily replacable bumper cover but fenders are off limits.

It really is a shame this solution is out of production. *cough* @krustyballer *cough :))

20231120_125248.jpg.37670144ec127738527199c286d58b3e.jpg

Dang dude, where did you find that gem at?

Also, how did you get a hold of him?

22 hours ago, Car Enthusiast said:

Dang dude, where did you find that gem at?

Also, how did you get a hold of him?

Facebook. He wasn't hard to find at the time (2018ish?).  He was doing business as Detours of Maine, making parts for the Toyota market. According to Google, looks like his business reputation took a major hit during the COVID years. That's unfortunate. 

J, Z, L, and A were hard at work before turkey yesterday and got a lot done on four of our vehicles.

'89 MJ: New ignition cylinder. The key was stuck in "on" position. Now the key works and the turn signals started working too!

'95 XJ: New blower motor and blower motor resistor

'94 XJ: New front shocks

'01 Crown Victoria: New front shocks

Not bad for half a day of work! Made quick work of a pile of parts.

1117670400_WhiteJeepradiator.jpg.ca1e5fbd87b1c53556fcb786a518939c.jpg

Black Friday update:

'94 XJ: New radiator. Fixing it up to sell it to acquire an '86 CJ-7

'89 MJ: Finished putting front clip back on after replacing front lights wiring harness.

On 11/24/2023 at 9:56 AM, FrankTheDog said:

I have the original prototype of the Backbone. We were in the same Jeep club when he was in Connecticut.

He built it for a buddy of mine.

He took it off when he built himself a recessed mount.

D45434FC-5830-4FE2-8323-B68C354F136E.jpeg.7786cdcdef84b57de1d7c37d70754bab.jpeg Now l just need an MJ or XJ to put it on.

I wish someone could get a hold of him and see if he minds his stuff getting produced again.

Sorry, I got no pics, but I'm finishing up on restoring/reviving and old 1995 White 30" snowblower that I got for cheap. That involved rebuilding the blown auger gearbox, ultrasonic cleaning and rebuilding the original Tecumseh carb that was full of varnish and old gas, and catching up on regular maintenance. There's absolutely not a single part on it that says "made in china"; it's all made in USA, so you know it's worth the time and effort!:thumbsup: